should RCCL offer a seperate formal dining room?

I have to say not a large formal dining room but maybe a supper club where they have mandatory formal dress codes. Perhaps the size just like Chops would be sufficient and maybe a charge a fee so the food is more upscale than what you get in the MDR because if your dressing up you deserve better quality food.

Edited by lyndamr

I know a touchy subject , that trend is to dress down and those get offended that they have the right not to. Why not have a Formal Main dinning room with an enforced dress code. This way everyone will win.

Sounds like what they plan to have on Quantum.

I'm so over formal nights-- so this sounds like a great idea to me. I don't agree with an extra charge though. Just give them one floor of the dining room nightly to dress up--every night if they wish. Same menu though.

Keep the other 2 floors as 'smart casual' for the full cruise.

I have to say not a large formal dining room but maybe a supper club where they have mandatory formal dress codes. Perhaps the size just like Chops would be sufficient and maybe a charge a fee so the food is more upscale than what you get in the MDR because if your dressing up you deserve better quality food.

Well if there is a charge then it would defeat the purpose, as you can go to the specialty restaurants if you wish. I like the idea of a small chops size or slightly bigger Formal MDR for those of us that like to dine with a certain elegance

I'm so over formal nights-- so this sounds like a great idea to me. I don't agree with an extra charge though. Just give them one floor of the dining room nightly to dress up--every night if they wish. Same menu though.

Keep the other 2 floors as 'smart casual' for the full cruise.

absolutely agreed. no fee just separate from those that do or do not want to dress up to snuff.

Sounds like what they plan to have on Quantum.

that sounds interesting , Because to me this is the best solution. Its a trifle awkward to be sitting in my tux next to a "person" wearing jeans with a hole in with horrid table manners

Edited by JamesThurstonIII

Nice clothes = Good manners ?? since when? I've seen plenty of 'people' (what's with the quotes?) dressed up on formal night and their manners were no better than anyone else. The clothes do not make the man.

Nice clothes = Good manners ?? since when? I've seen plenty of 'people' (what's with the quotes?) dressed up on formal night and their manners were no better than anyone else. The clothes do not make the man.

this is true however from my experience it has been mostly the poorly dressed sorts that have bad table manners , you know the sort, they are loud sneeze all over and stuff rolls in their pockets for later. smh

I understand the not wanting the extra charge but to get all dressed up nice to eat a regular apple bees/tgif dinner is crazy, I just figure it is nice to dress up and get a dinner similar to a 4 star restaurant.

I dont know which ships you have been on perhaps carnival but its higher quality then your applebees.

Sorry but RC ships MDR dinners are like apple bees quality to me, I dine at 4/5 star restaurants often so I am able to compare what we actually get on the ship to what a 4/5 star restaurant serves.

Carnival is Chili's.

On another note if a person eats a lot of fast food stuff they would think what they get in the MDR be gourmet.

Now you know why we only eat at specialty restaurants on cruises now, we want to pay extra money to get better quality/selection/variety, whats a few more dollars, it all boils down you get what you pay for.

Edited by lyndamr

this is true however from my experience it has been mostly the poorly dressed sorts that have bad table manners , you know the sort, they are loud sneeze all over and stuff rolls in their pockets for later. smh

You sound as though you're EZ target. I bet those sorts seek you out just for their dnner entertainmnet. :D

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Sorry but RC ships MDR dinners are like apple bees quality to me, I dine at 4/5 star restaurants often so I am able to compare what we actually get on the ship to what a 4/5 star restaurant serves.

Carnival is Chili's.

On another note if a person eats a lot of fast food stuff they would think what they get in the MDR be gourmet.

Now you know why we only eat at specialty restaurants on cruises now, we want to pay extra money to get better quality/selection/variety, whats a few more dollars, it all boils down you get what you pay for.

I normally eat dinner in the specialty resturants myself to avoid the riff raff, I do eat at Michelin star restaurants and relay chateaus. But i do think you are being a tad bit unfair comparing it to applebees.

Im sorry but thats how I think the food on RC cruises in the MDR are like just like Applebees quality...Im sorry but its how I feel. (I am not saying Applebees is bad its not just not 4/5 star dining) wait I didn't mean apple bees I meant Ruby Tuesday sorry!! ding ding dong lol

I also can't say I seen "riff raft" in the MDR, maybe sometimes people don't have class but they certainly not worth being called that don't you think?

Edited by lyndamr

I normally eat dinner in the specialty resturants myself to avoid the riff raff, I do eat at Michelin star restaurants and relay chateaus. But i do think you are being a tad bit unfair comparing it to applebees.

I think you're choosing the wrong cruise line. I don't know if what you consider riff raff I would consider plain old down to earth folks. You sound like a Regent or Crystal cruiser to me. Have you given those lines a try?

Edited by cruzsnooze

To bring this back to the original topic, that seems exactly what Grande will be on Quantum. It is listed as Formal Dress. This way you can pick the night you want to do Formal, how many nights you want, and whether you want to at all. But there has already been a "gee, what if I want to eat there and not dress Formal, it's my cruise, so why should I have to?" For me, if you want to eat in Grande, you dress Formal. Otherwise there are numerous other restaurants available.

Guess we'll see if RCI holds to the dress code. I figure on the first cruise someone will show up in shirt and jeans for Grande.

I think you're choosing the wrong cruise line. I don't know if what you consider riff raff I would consider plain old down to earth folks. You sound like a Regent or Crystal cruiser to me. Have you given those lines a try?

I am rather new to cruising so i should give those a go sometime. i wont dare step foot on a gasly carnival cruise again. savages.

Not interested in the small formal dining room idea at all. We LOVE meeting new friends and ask for a large table and regular dining with the same people gives us that chance. It's one of the reasons we may never sail on a Quantum class ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.