Lens length allowed on RCI?

I am wondering and hoping there is a lens length limit on Royal?

Little concerned about my Mother's husband bringing gigantic lens on a March middle school cruise time! I am talking the lens could get a clear up close pix of Dolphins near the bow of Brilliance shooting from her Crown Vik!

Plus I rather we didn't have to lug the 2 cameras.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

He might need a tripod if really a large lens. Then, if mounted on a tripod, the camera will move/roll/vibrate with the ship,- I would think.

GUT2407: Can't imagine there would be any limit.

Agree on the doubt about a cruise ship imposing any type of limit on camera lens size/length. Maybe setting up a tripod in some areas of a ship could create a "safety" issues as you do not want to be blocking passenger walking areas' date=' exit zones, etc.

It's a totally different question on the comment about [b']"Plus I rather we didn't have to lug the 2 cameras." [/b] Having to lug camera equipment is more a question for "Domestic Relations Court" (or avoiding such) than a ship camera/lens policy issues.

Tell us more from the original poster about what area of problem/question might be involved.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 115,535 views for this posting.

Only for arena's or other performance based areas have I seen any limit on camera type or lenses. Often the restriction is around length of the lens and "pro" camera.

On a cruise, never seen anything but the restriction on flash for performances. If someone wants to lug their 10,000 400 2.8 lense all the more for them :D

If anything the cruises love the promotion they get from everything from foodies to interior etc. fotos.

Only for arena's or other performance based areas have I seen any limit on camera type or lenses. Often the restriction is around length of the lens and "pro" camera.

On a cruise, never seen anything but the restriction on flash for performances. If someone wants to lug their 10,000 400 2.8 lense all the more for them :D

If anything the cruises love the promotion they get from everything from foodies to interior etc. fotos.

The 2 cameras& lens I think he said 45k! Good point all about the tripod; which I bet he'll need! Most times he is shooting from truck. The guy can't walk much, so wc he will need. He is refusing to case them and send luggage.

I know a lot concerts they said no detachable lens cameras! I don't remember a mention during Queen year ago!

I've use a 400/2.8 over the bridge on a tripod many times. Works great from my balcony for whale pictures. Elsewhere on the ship in Alaska I've used it with a monopod. Just use good judgment when using a tripod.

Nobody will ever say NO...

Real photographers never ask permission we just beg forgiveness. :eek::D

framer

• 1 month later...

Plus I rather we didn't have to lug the 2 cameras.

k

Only two? That is going light weight!

Heck, I had seven on the last cruise.

2 full frame Nikons, Fuji X100, Nikon P&S underwater, Nikon P7800 converted to InfraRed, smartphone, and tablet.

John

Nobody will ever say NO... Real photographers never ask permission we just beg forgiveness. :eek::D framer

Agree on BOTH of these smart, above comments/reactions. Yes, asking "forgiveness" can work well in most cases. Asking "permission" can put people on the spot. Go for "it", but be reasonable and thoughtful towards others and their safety.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 186,018 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I regularly bring long lenses on cruises - HAL, RCCL, and Princess all in my DSLR years and no line has had any restrictions. Sorry. :)

I have brought my 300mm F4 with a 1.4x teleconverter, a 400mm F4.5, a 200-500mm zoom, and a 150-600mm zoom over the years. Always at least one of them comes along, if not two, for wildlife, birds, and zooming in on distant lands that we're passing from 8-12 miles away that I want to peek in on.

• 2 weeks later...
Putting expensive lenses in checked bags is a really really bad idea....Things can get broken, things do get stolen...The airlines will not accept any responsibility for damage or theft. Been there, done that....not fun at all.

Thank you for that very valuable info. I believe my friend is traveling with all his camera equipment with him both ways.

Have a great cruise all.

Putting expensive lenses in checked bags is a really really bad idea....Things can get broken, things do get stolen...The airlines will not accept any responsibility for damage or theft. Been there, done that....not fun at all.

Its amazing what will fit in a bag that fits under a commercial airline seat. Also if it fits under the seat you should be good to go regardless of how full the plane. I do use a small roller for the other stuff like tripod heads, sml tools that are allowed, pano heads and accessories. If that ever had to be checked I'd be OK with that but the lenses and bodies stay with me. My monopod and tripod fit in my large checked bag. Never any issues yet but never say never...

framer

• 2 weeks later...
I regularly bring long lenses on cruises - HAL, RCCL, and Princess all in my DSLR years and no line has had any restrictions. Sorry. :)

I have brought my 300mm F4 with a 1.4x teleconverter, a 400mm F4.5, a 200-500mm zoom, and a 150-600mm zoom over the years. Always at least one of them comes along, if not two, for wildlife, birds, and zooming in on distant lands that we're passing from 8-12 miles away that I want to peek in on.

That has just convinced me that I will pack the 150-600.

It's amazing just how much detail you can make out at huge distances...I'll be bringing my Tamron 150-600mm along with a 1.4x and 2x TC next week and it will often be out on the balcony with me when I'm reading - just in case I see something far off and want to know what it is. Last year, this was while passing Cuba at the 12 mile international waters limit at the eastern tip of the island, with the Tamron at 600mm and some heavy cropping:

original.jpg

And then later in the same cruise, while rounding the western tip of Cuba at approximately the same distance:

original.jpg

At 12 miles, you can still make out windows & doors on buildings, the ironwork of the antenna towers, fences, etc. I found that pretty cool! That was shooting at 900mm equivalent, and cropped down to probably 3x closer. I want to see what I can make out with a 2x teleconverter, shooting at 1800mm equivalent, and then cropping down about 3x closer. Atmospheric interference gets a little wavy, but you can still get surprising information in the scene...like boats passing 12-14 miles away that you can still read the name on the side.

And of course, for birding and wildlife when I'm on the islands, I love to have the big gun with me. Not to mention the cool wildlife you see at sea, following the boat. I always get fun shots of boobies, gannets, gulls, frigatebirds, and occasionally more rare stuff like peregrine falcons flying along the ship:

original.jpg

original.jpg