Golden and Skywalkers

vacation cruiser

Does the Golden still have Skywalkers or was it taken off?

The Grand is the only ship that has had a Skywalkers removed. The Grand was the first ship with a Skywalkers and there was an engineering/construction issue on it which was corrected on the ships built afterwards.

Does the Golden still have Skywalkers or was it taken off?
Of course it's still there. The Grand was the first ship with a Skywalker's and after many years, there were signs of structural damage due to the heavy materials and location. The next ship, the Golden, was modified with lighter materials and a slightly modified location. Later ships had even more modifications.

No reason to remove Skywalker's from any other ship.

Of course it's still there. The Grand was the first ship with a Skywalker's and after many years, there were signs of structural damage due to the heavy materials and location. The next ship, the Golden, was modified with lighter materials and a slightly modified location. Later ships had even more modifications.

No reason to remove Skywalker's from any other ship.

Thanks for sharing Pam. I did not know why they removed it from the Grand.

Tony

Thanks for sharing Pam. I did not know why they removed it from the Grand.

Tony

Apparently from the get-go the extra weight of Skywalker's on the Grand caused the bow to ride higher than it should have which affected performance (fuel economy). This was the reason that the later ships, Golden and Star, were designed with lighter material long before the structural failure started happening on the Grand. The Crown class ships all had Skywalker's moved forward so there is less of a "shopping cart handle" look on those ships.

According to a video I saw on a Princess ship detailing the removal of skywalker's from the Grand, the structure was all metal and very heavy. It had developed cracks in the metal making it unsafe and had to be repaired or removed. Princess chose to remove it due to the weight impacting the operation of the vessel.

The ships that were built later used a more modern technology of composite materials similar to what is used in aircraft construction these days. It is a lighter and sturdier construction.

It was an interesting video detailing the removal and how they did it. Princess sometimes has videos on the stateroom TV of ships in drydock and what exactly happens to the ship. I find it very interesting and always watch when offered.

• 1 month later...
I agree skywalkers on 17 is great, particularly on sea days, go up there with a book, and enjoy the view and the quiet

And that is why it is not on the Royal class. Too quiet as very few people used it for most of the day.

Great for those who went there, but too few people did to justify having it on the new design.

And that is why it is not on the Royal class. Too quiet as very few people used it for most of the day.

Great for those who went there, but too few people did to justify having it on the new design.

I think princess could do a better job of utilizing it. There is just not much going on there.