Blu Museli

bubbachief

Just saw a Blu breakfast menu from an Alaska cruise and it didn't show the made-to-order museli. Have they dropped it from the breakfast menu?

Not there on our cruise in May through Alaska. Waitstaff told me US regulations don't allow it prepared table side. Someone else posted on my review it wasn't on their trip in the Caribbean either.

I have seen this question a lot in the last 12 months, so I decided to investigate on my recently concluded Pacific Coastal cruise on Infinity in Aqua.

I talked to the Restaurant Manager, they manage all restaurant services on a ship. He said US health regulations prevent table prepared muesli because all the ingredients are on an open cart with no sneeze guards and other US required health measures. He said aside from the health issues, the carts do provide a point of congestion in the aisles when Blu is busy. BUT.......Celebrity is aware table side muesli is a popular alternative. So they are designing a new style of muesli cart with a hinged clear plastic top that meets US health standards as well as being slimmer in design to fit in the aisles better.

When a ship has an US start or stop in any US port they eliminate the table side muesli even though the bulk of the voyage might be in the Caribbean or Mexico, they eliminate table side muesli to avoid confusion. When a Celebrity cruise has sea days outside the US territorial limits they could theoretically have table side muesli, but the next day when docking in, say San Francisco, they would have to remove it. Passengers get very angry when they had it yesterday while at sea and not while in a US port. He said Celebrity "gets it" and understands the guest's confusion. He said, be patient, a solution is being prepared. He said the last thing Celebrity wants is bad publicity because they would be cheating on US health regulations. Muesli is always available prepared in the kitchen by order even when in US waters. I had it every morning on our US ports intensive cruise from the kitchen. Still mighty good!

If your cruise starts and ends in Europe, South America, Asia, etc., and you don't visit any US ports, you will have table side muesli with the current carts because those countries have lower health standards.

I understand the issues better now with table side muesli (one of my favorites), and support Celebrity's adherence to US health standards. HEY CELEBRITY, lets get those new carts installed in Blu!

Edited by El Crucero

I do understand and although I've never gotten the muesli table side or otherwise (I don't like hot cereal) I have asked for separate bowls of berries, yogurt, granola, etc. and have made my own concoction. Not muesli but same kind of thing. I actually prefer mixing things myself, and never could see the big whoop about someone stirring things in your cereal for you.

Just ask for it separate if they don't come to the table. I remember last time we ate in Blu they had a cart and made it, but on the uncarpeted part.

Silly rule really. With steam carpet cleaners, silly rule. Oh well.

I have seen this question a lot in the last 12 months, so I decided to investigate on my recently concluded Pacific Coastal cruise on Infinity in Aqua.

I talked to the Restaurant Manager, they manage all restaurant services on a ship. He said US health regulations prevent table prepared muesli because all the ingredients are on an open cart with no sneeze guards and other US required health measures. He said aside from the health issues, the carts do provide a point of congestion in the aisles when Blu is busy. BUT.......Celebrity is aware table side muesli is a popular alternative. So they are designing a new style of muesli cart with a hinged clear plastic top that meets US health standards as well as being slimmer in design to fit in the aisles better.

When a ship has an US start or stop in any US port they eliminate the table side muesli even though the bulk of the voyage might be in the Caribbean or Mexico, they eliminate table side muesli to avoid confusion. When a Celebrity cruise has sea days outside the US territorial limits they could theoretically have table side muesli, but the next day when docking in, say San Francisco, they would have to remove it. Passengers get very angry when they had it yesterday while at sea and not while in a US port. He said Celebrity "gets it" and understands the guest's confusion. He said, be patient, a solution is being prepared. He said the last thing Celebrity wants is bad publicity because they would be cheating on US health regulations. Muesli is always available prepared in the kitchen by order even when in US waters. I had it every morning on our US ports intensive cruise from the kitchen. Still mighty good!

If your cruise starts and ends in Europe, South America, Asia, etc., and you don't visit any US ports, you will have table side muesli with the current carts because those countries have lower health standards.

I understand the issues better now with table side muesli (one of my favorites), and support Celebrity's adherence to US health standards. HEY CELEBRITY, lets get those new carts installed in Blu!

Thanks for the detailed and informative explanation. Glad to hear Celebrity is designing a new cart.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I do understand and although I've never gotten the muesli table side or otherwise (I don't like hot cereal) I have asked for separate bowls of berries, yogurt, granola, etc. and have made my own concoction. Not muesli but same kind of thing. I actually prefer mixing things myself, and never could see the big whoop about someone stirring things in your cereal for you.

Just ask for it separate if they don't come to the table. I remember last time we ate in Blu they had a cart and made it, but on the uncarpeted part.

Silly rule really. With steam carpet cleaners, silly rule. Oh well.

Muesli is not hot. You are basically doing what we liked about the tableside prep. There were many ingredients to choose from and you could have whatever concoction appealed to you. Now, with it being premixed, grape seeds and all, as I got, it is not so appealing. I'm really glad to hear they are designing another cart with sneeze guards etc.

I agree with you that the carpet thing is silly.

We were told that BLU does not offer the made to order Museli anymore. We wore told this while dining in Luminai last October/Nov on Millinnium.

When we were on the Equinox last fall in Luminae we didn't observe table-side prepared museli. But we left the Eclipse on May 22nd, after thirty-five nights on board, and to order museli was offered in Blu on all legs of that series of cruises.

I wonder why a "carpeted floor" should make a difference? If the concern is a "spill from the cart making a mess" .... The passengers likely drop/spill more on the same carpets around the table during their meals.

The issue with the carpeted floor is that any foods that are considered "wet" that might spill on it are difficult to clean properly and thoroughly. They can serve bread, butter (in packets), etc. but not cut fruit, meat or cheese, just as examples. On some ships the Elite buffet is split into two parts, with the "wet" foods on tables which are on a tile floor and the "dry" foods on the buffet in the center of Tuscan. That's one solution to the problem. Each ship seems to handle it differently.

I suspect that the issue with the table-side breakfast cereal has more to do with the size of the cart than with the ingredients involved, but that's only a suspicion. Celebrity's intent to create a smaller, more appropriate cart with a cover is a good one and I hope to see these in use soon.

I wonder why a "carpeted floor" should make a difference? If the concern is a "spill from the cart making a mess" .... The passengers likely drop/spill more on the same carpets around the table during their meals.

Since when do a lot of government regulations make sense?

Connie is not calling on any US port right now, is it? Look again at this info:

"When a ship has an US start or stop in any US port they eliminate the table side muesli even though the bulk of the voyage might be in the Caribbean or Mexico, they eliminate table side muesli to avoid confusion. When a Celebrity cruise has sea days outside the US territorial limits they could theoretically have table side muesli, but the next day when docking in, say San Francisco, they would have to remove it. Passengers get very angry when they had it yesterday while at sea and not while in a US port. He said Celebrity "gets it" and understands the guest's confusion. He said, be patient, a solution is being prepared. He said the last thing Celebrity wants is bad publicity because they would be cheating on US health regulations. Muesli is always available prepared in the kitchen by order even when in US waters. I had it every morning on our US ports intensive cruise from the kitchen. Still mighty good!"

I had the tableside muesli on the Constellation yesterday.

Connie is not calling on any US port right now, is it?

No, the Constellation is cruising the Mediterranean right now. Therefore, the information I was given is consistent. Tabled side muesli is available on European, Asian, and South American itineraries. Otherwise it is available from the kitchen.

When a ship has an US start or stop in any US port they eliminate the table side muesli even though the bulk of the voyage might be in the Caribbean or Mexico .....

Hmmmm....The Eclipse April 17th embarkation was in Miami and table-side prepared muesli was available in Blu.

Hmmmm....The Eclipse April 17th embarkation was in Miami and table-side prepared muesli was available in Blu.

Well, I didn't want to complicate matters, but the same thing happened to us. The Infinity left San Diego and our first port stop was the next morning in Santa Barbara. We had table side muesli for that one time only. The next morning was a stop in Monterey and I was informed no more table side muesli for the rest of the trip. That is when I approached the Restaurant Manager about the inconsistency. He apologized and said there had been a staff error and that person had been reprimanded. He said table side muesli should not have been served at the Santa Barbara stop. He said the Dept. of Public Health does make surprise visits to all cruise ships and the Infinity was lucky that day wasn't one of them.

Unfortunately, staff and personnel on a large cruise ship do make mistakes from time to time. I suppose that is why passengers can have such wide ranging experiences on the same ship.