Queen Elizabeth II Noisy & Vibration in cabins on Deck 1

enthusedtooth

We recently returned from a Med cruise for which we paid top price for cabins 1101 & 1103 on Deck 1. Whilst on board we put in a complaint as the noise and vibration were quite bad and sleeping was difficult. On our return we sent a letter to Cunard which took them over a month to reply to. Basically they do not recognise these particular cabins as being and more noisy than the others and they do not recognise the vibration problem. we felt as though we were just above the engine room. If you are booking these cabins then make sure you take your ear defenders. needless to say we will not be booking with Cunard again.

Presumably the OP means the new Queen Elizabeth. When we were aboard a few weeks ago we noticed the vibrations on this deck and thought we wouldn't like to stay in this area. The vibrations were coming from the main air conditioning unit/plant.

How loud is "noisy"? There is a way to measure sound level, and that's with a decibel meter. I have one and I've thought about bringing one along on a cruise so that in the event I'm in a cabin which seems "noisy", at least, I have a basis on which to have a "learned" discussion with the ship about the problem. The meter is light and small in size so bringing one along is not a big deal. I might do that on future cruises. What do others think of the idea?

Not sure how to measure "vibrations". Maybe take a video of a glass rocking back and forth on a table during sleep time?

How loud is "noisy"? There is a way to measure sound level, and that's with a decibel meter. I have one and I've thought about bringing one along on a cruise so that in the event I'm in a cabin which seems "noisy", at least, I have a basis on which to have a "learned" discussion with the ship about the problem. The meter is light and small in size so bringing one along is not a big deal. I might do that on future cruises. What do others think of the idea?

Not sure how to measure "vibrations". Maybe take a video of a glass rocking back and forth on a table during sleep time?

Seismograph?

I noticed a lot of noise on deck one when I was on QV in April, the sea was rough and as the waves rolled along the ship it made a lot of noise. I did comment at the time that I was glad I did not have a cabin on deck 1. I am guessing it will be the same on QE since the hull is the same.

We were recently in cabin 8116 on the QV and it was noisy. At first I thought it was just the air-con unit as the drone was similar to that one gets in a hotel room. After several days it dawned on me that the noise was coming from what I imagine to be ventilation ducts running right up through the middle of the ship. I went down to decks 4, 5, 6 & 7 and to both sides and confirmed they too had the noise. So if given the choice I would avoid plus or minus 3 or 4 cabins from 8116 and their equivalent cabins vertically and horizontally.

DJ

Interesting the OP has only one post, I smell a rat or troll.

Anyway, I have recently returned from QE Adriatic cruise and had cabin 1074, it was very quiet except on the last night, when I think the crew had a little bash for a very successful cruise. The crew area backs onto the cabins, but it was no big deal, I slept through it, but it woke my wife who is a very light sleeper.

I wonder if, as newer ships get quieter and smoother, our perceptions change. I remember older ships which vibrated so much sometimes that you could actually see the walls shake enough to blur vision.

I wonder if, as newer ships get quieter and smoother, our perceptions change. I remember older ships which vibrated so much sometimes that you could actually see the walls shake enough to blur vision.

I think that people don't actually want to travel on ships. The preference is for some sort of hotel that merely moves. The sea is becoming a nuisance, not a pleasure.

WD

Interesting the OP has only one post, I smell a rat or troll.

Anyway, I have recently returned from QE Adriatic cruise and had cabin 1074, it was very quiet except on the last night, when I think the crew had a little bash for a very successful cruise. The crew area backs onto the cabins, but it was no big deal, I slept through it, but it woke my wife who is a very light sleeper.

Glad to have your report. We are in 1074 for a 10 day cruise around your country in early September.

My wife is a light sleeper and much to her annoyance I could sleep through a hurricane.

Both of us will be thankful if she gets a good nights sleep.

Yes, QE2 for one - she had an extensive repertoire of groans, squeaks, rattles, bangs, thumps etc etc. But at least you knew that you were on a ship, and a great one at that. QV and QE have been, by a country mile, the quietest and smoothest ships I've ever travelled on - but, as WD says on another thread, that makes the experience very hard to distinguish from simply being in a hotel in which you magically wake up each morning in a different country from the one you were in when you went to bed.

Incidentally, I have been told by several former Royal Navy sailors that the time to get worried is when the noise and the vibration stops!

J

Edited by Cruachan

I think that people don't actually want to travel on ships. The preference is for some sort of hotel that merely moves. The sea is becoming a nuisance, not a pleasure.

WD

William, that is what I believe too. Many of the Royal Caribbean ships don't even have many views of the sea. Most the main public spaces don't even have views of the sea.

Glad to have your report. We are in 1074 for a 10 day cruise around your country in early September.

My wife is a light sleeper and much to her annoyance I could sleep through a hurricane.

Both of us will be thankful if she gets a good nights sleep.

It is a big square cabin with the bathroom on the right as you walk in the door and the wardrobes in the opposite left hand corner. There is lots of space and the best thing when we were in the cabin, the overhead door closer was detached so the door didn't slam in your backside when you left:D The cabin also has a two seater settee, an armchair and a seat in front of the dressing table, certainly one of the best cabins we have had.

• 3 years later...
We recently returned from a Med cruise for which we paid top price for cabins 1101 & 1103 on Deck 1. Whilst on board we put in a complaint as the noise and vibration were quite bad and sleeping was difficult. On our return we sent a letter to Cunard which took them over a month to reply to. Basically they do not recognise these particular cabins as being and more noisy than the others and they do not recognise the vibration problem. we felt as though we were just above the engine room. If you are booking these cabins then make sure you take your ear defenders. needless to say we will not be booking with Cunard again.

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english.

We just finished our terrible cruise this friday.

The focus of the vibrations are near cabin 1189.

Our cabin was 1191, and it was the worst cruise we have made.

They didn't resolved the problem until 7 days of complain everyday.

Please, see these videos to understand better.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypEfRXPr8I-1jIn3IW7ubg

And also you can see:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forodecruceros.com%2Fcruceros%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D66%26t%3D15281%26start%3D10%23p99148

Never again with Cunard.

Vicente

Edited by Vicente8

Yes, QE2 for one - she had an extensive repertoire of groans, squeaks, rattles, bangs, thumps etc etc. But at least you knew that you were on a ship, and a great one at that. QV and QE have been, by a country mile, the quietest and smoothest ships I've ever travelled on - but, as WD says on another thread, that makes the experience very hard to distinguish from simply being in a hotel in which you magically wake up each morning in a different country from the one you were in when you went to bed.

Incidentally, I have been told by several former Royal Navy sailors that the time to get worried is when the noise and the vibration stops!

J

How right you are! On a ship, that noise is your friend. Vibration and noise issues are very personal. Back in the '70s, when QE2 was doing the then typical 5 day crossings you could not put your drink on the bar at the Double Down Aft Bar (later the Yacht Club). The liquid would literally climb right out of the glass. Even better when pushing hard through larger seas. I thought it was quite the kick. Might have been a side effect from the martinis though.:eek::D I did find QV very noisy and shaky in a head sea. Typical of Tincantieri ships I have been on. :eek:

I saw the videos, and about all I can say is: Welcome to ships! Sure some cabins will be quiet and vibration free and others not. I recall QE2 (not the ship you were on) where the wood paneling and sub structure in the cabins would creak and groan in rough weather. It made what you experienced seem quiet! In order to sleep at night I had to wear ear plugs.

Ships are "living" moving creatures of the sea, with many mechanical systems inside of them. They are not land hotels, and even those can suffer from noise, but not vibrations.

I don't mean to sound rude or harsh, but based on your videos you are not getting any sympathy from me. Sorry.

It's interesting that both the OP and Vicente8 are both saying the same thing - never again with Cunard. Surely you mean, never again on Deck 1? Or never again on a ship?

Ships vibrate - there does indeed seem to be more vibration on deck 1 - we too noticed this, but at times it's pretty bad even on the higher decks. I can distinctly remember the glasses vibrating on our table at dinner in the restaurant. We also experienced a force 10 storm in the Bay of Biscay and our cabin creaked a huge amount, and we were not on a low deck.

I don't think you can blame Cunard for this, but I'm sure someone will disagree.:rolleyes:

It's interesting that both the OP and Vicente8 are both saying the same thing - never again with Cunard. Surely you mean, never again on Deck 1? Or never again on a ship?

Ships vibrate - there does indeed seem to be more vibration on deck 1 - we too noticed this, but at times it's pretty bad even on the higher decks. I can distinctly remember the glasses vibrating on our table at dinner in the restaurant. We also experienced a force 10 storm in the Bay of Biscay and our cabin creaked a huge amount, and we were not on a low deck.

I don't think you can blame Cunard for this, but I'm sure someone will disagree.:rolleyes:

My goodness, that is an old thread.

Problem is ships sometimes feel like ships and some of them still even look like ships. I am afraid there are many people out there under the illusion that ships don't move. Those people probably would be much happier in a hotel.:)

Hello again,

I only want to explain that the vibration we suffered in cabin 1091 was not normal. I always use earplugs to sleep and the strong vibrations dindn't let me sleep.

I am not a new cruiser. I can distinguish betwen what is normal and not.

The vibration was 24 hours/day.

This is clearly a design problem of this ship.

This is a honest opinión and I hope it will help who are thinking to cruise with this ship, and don't want to have a terrible travel experience spoiled holiday.

Regards

Vicente

Ncl: Jewel (Estambul-Bcn) * Jade (Canarias) * Epic (mini mediterráneo) * Spirit (Canarias). Costa: Mágica (Mediterráneo). Royal Caribean: Navigator OTS (mini medideterráneo) * Vision OTS (Fiordos) * Navigator OTS (mediterráneo). Celebrity : Century (Ámsterdam-Bcn) * Solstice (Transatlántico) * Solstice (Caribe) * Century (Caribe). Holland América: Statendam (Perú-Canal de Panamá-Usa). Princess: Emerald (Báltico) * Crown (Islas Británicas). Msc: Lirica (Mediterráneo) * Splendida (mini mediterráneo) * Sinfonía (Mediterráneo) * Lírica (Tierra Santa).

"Was expected that the "QE2" came into service in late 1968, but a series of engine problems and noisy vibration in accommodations for the passage delayed its maiden voyage".

I wouldn't want people about to travel on deck 1 to be worried after reading these posts. We sailed on QV deck 1 two years ago to the med and dint experience any problems with noise. The videos on a previous post on here show, in my opinion, the natural sounds of a ship and much of such noise would stop if items were moved apart i.e. The glasses.

I agree with the other posts that it's a ship there fore will create some noise. Silence is not possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

... "Was expected that the "QE2" came into service in late 1968, but a series of engine problems and noisy vibration in accommodations for the passage delayed its maiden voyage".
Hi Vicente8, sorry, please... Not being rude or sarcastic in any way, but I genuinely don't understand the last part of your post. Please, explain? :) :) :) Thank you for your help and explanation, most kind of you, I've probably missed something, not for the first time :o .

(BTW, your English is far, far better than my Spanish!)

Edited by pepperrn

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english.

We just finished our terrible cruise this friday.

The focus of the vibrations are near cabin 1189.

Our cabin was 1191, and it was the worst cruise we have made.

They didn't resolved the problem until 7 days of complain everyday.

Please, see these videos to understand better.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypEfRXPr8I-1jIn3IW7ubg

And also you can see:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forodecruceros.com%2Fcruceros%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D66%26t%3D15281%26start%3D10%23p99148

Never again with Cunard.

Vicente

Ciao Vincente. No need to be apologetic for your language skills, your are doing fine. If only I could write Italian as well as you write in english .

And thanks for your post regarding the vibrations you experienced in your cabin. But may I suggest that you consider that the Queen Mary 2 is very different from other ships... perhaps you might consider the difference between an ocean liner and a Vista Class ship? Rather than say "never again with Cunard", it is possible you might enjoy the QM2? No?

Cordialmente, - Salacia

Edited by Salacia