Air New Zealand 777-200 Premium Economy

floralscent

I booked travel about 6 months ago for a December fight on Air New Zealand in premium economy- LAX to SYD. We chose the flight on a 777-300 because we wanted to experience the space seats. Well i just recieved an email from the airline stating a flight change. The flight change time is perfecly fine but they have moved our flight to a 777-200, which my research has led me to believe these planes do not have the space seats, which is why I was careful not to book my original flight on.

To say I am livid is an under statement because I don't see another flight option available from LAX that day on a 777-300. *sigh*

Any suggestions? I haven't booked my Delta flight from MSP to LAX yet so I am considering changing the Air NZ flight but what if they change the aircraft again?

Sorry for the rant...I am just beyond angry right now... Thanks for listening.

With all due respect, airlines change planes regularly, and they are not obliged to do anything other than get you from Point A to Point B. a 777-300 might be wonderful (haven't flown on one yet), but they may only have a few of them, such that that route is not yet 100% covered with 777-300s. A 777-200 will also make the flight (we are taking a United 777-200 SFO-SYD next month), and that meets the airline's commitment to you.

I don't understand how they get away with that as I find that like a bait and switch. Airlines get away with things like this when no other industry in the world does. Why can't the builder give you stock oak cabinets instead of the custom maple kind that you ordered and paid for? I mean that's what was most readily available.

Edited by floralscent

I completely understand the disappointment, however since the 777-200 also offers Premium Economy, the airline has met their obligation since you're ticketed in that cabin. The fact the seating configuration differs from that of the 777-300 is immaterial. By chance do they operate a 777-300 from SFO on the date you're booked out of LAX? If so, would they allow you to switch without penalty?

I don't understand how they get away with that as I find that like a bait and switch. Airlines get away with things like this when no other industry in the world does. Why can't the builder give you stock oak cabinets instead of the custom maple kind that you ordered and paid for? I mean that's what was most readily available.
If the type of wood was explicitly not part of your contract with the builder, and he told you that he might give you any type of wood depending on what he could find on the day, then you'd have no cause for complaint. Right?

That's exactly what airlines tell you, explicitly: The type of aircraft and the dates and times of your flight are not part of your contract, and you have no complaint if they are changed.

And the builder does not have to include the type of wood in the contract - there's no obligation on him to do so if he chooses not to.

Then why should it be any different for airlines? Scheduling flexibility is one of the things that keeps fares as low as they are. If you want to be guaranteed a specific aircraft type, charter a flight.

Otherwise, this is just one of those things that happen if you travel. You might be disappointed this time, but somewhere else there is a happy customer who's getting a better seat than they expected. And some other day, that happy customer may be you.

I understand your anger, but there was always the chance it might happen - and unfortunately it happened to you and there's not much you can do about it (unless you want to change flights and take the chance again). I was also worried when I booked an AKL-SFO flight over 9 months in advance - I kept checking it to make sure they hadn't changed the plane to a -200, but I always knew it was a possibility and I'd be stuck with whatever happened.

Vent away; hopefully that will dispel some of the anger in a painless way.

I understand your anger, but there was always the chance it might happen - and unfortunately it happened to you and there's not much you can do about it (unless you want to change flights and take the chance again). I was also worried when I booked an AKL-SFO flight over 9 months in advance - I kept checking it to make sure they hadn't changed the plane to a -200, but I always knew it was a possibility and I'd be stuck with whatever happened.

Vent away; hopefully that will dispel some of the anger in a painless way.

Thank you calliopecruiser. I contacted Air NZ and they happened to have a flight 1 hour earlier that same day on the 300. This flight did not show on their website but was a flight they were able to access. All worked out and hopefully it won't change.

Did you enjoy your Air NZ flight? Did you fly PE on the 300?

With all due respect, airlines change planes regularly, and they are not obliged to do anything other than get you from Point A to Point B. a 777-300 might be wonderful (haven't flown on one yet), but they may only have a few of them, such that that route is not yet 100% covered with 777-300s. A 777-200 will also make the flight (we are taking a United 777-200 SFO-SYD next month), and that meets the airline's commitment to you.

You are undoubtedly correct about the terms that are laid out in the carrier's contract, but I would be irritated just as the OP was. I have read mixed things about AZ's Spaceseat, but it is a substantially different product than their legacy Premium Economy seat. If I had selected a flight based on a specific seat (which I might add that the carrier has gone to great pains to bring attention to) and then they pulled the old swithceroo on me, I would feel cheated too. Any recourse....probably not. Is the airline within its rights...probably so. Still sucks.

We flew ANZ from LHR to LAX two month ago in a spaceseat. You won't be disappointed. VERY nice experience. Have them show you how to scoot the seat back and forth, as it's a little tricky. I also got one of those inflatable footrests to put their little beanbag on top, and my feet were at a very comfortable elevation. And, the full size pillows!!!