Maasdam..what's the situation with air conditioning issues ?

mamaofami

About to book the Maasdam in the Carib for next winter and have read lots about air conditioning issues. Since we're looking at an outside cabin with no balcony door(I know...they're not supposed to be opened) but wondering if anyone knows which cabins have had these problems.Any info would be helpful.

About to book the Maasdam in the Carib for next winter and have read lots about air conditioning issues. Since we're looking at an outside cabin with no balcony door(I know...they're not supposed to be opened) but wondering if anyone knows which cabins have had these problems.Any info would be helpful.

I hope someone chimes in, Carol. It seems to me that the issues were on the Main Deck but I could be dead wrong.

It's too late to modify my previous post, but I'll read through previous reviews of the Maasdam in the CC members' review section to see if any patterns develop. Yep, I'm a geek that way.

Edited by buckirj1

Have only been on the Maasdam once on the Navigation Deck on a two week Caribbean in early December. As the days went on, it got warmer and warmer in the cabin - not enough to complain about but the thermostat was all the way on cold and it wasn't below 75*. If we had been on longer, and it had gotten warmer, it would have been an issue.

Barbara

I was on Maasdam last year in April and I can tell you that cabin 196 had AC problems then. Fortunately it is a balcony cabin so we could open the door at night and get a little breeze.

A couple on our roll call were in cabin 754, which is an outside on A deck. They had the opposite problem - TOO COLD! They complained that even with the AC set at warmest, they still needed 2 blankets at night. If you want a cold cabin, you might give that one a try although HAL may be fixed it by now.

Well, that was an interesting exercise. Information obtained from a cruise fan board probably doesn't give the very best information, but it's what we have.

About a dozen reviews mentioned air conditioning problems during the period July 2005 through December 2009. I only counted those reviews that actually mentioned an a/c issue--a couple of reviews indicated that although *their* cabin's a/c worked fine, they talked to other passengers who experienced problems. I did a very cursory read, and could have missed some. However, there are enough reviews to draw some conclusions.

Over half of the reviews in this sampling indicated a Southern Caribbean itinerary; the remaining reviews were evenly split between the Eastern and Western Caribbean with one review each for Transatlantic and Canada/NE (which is an immense relief to me!)

Half of the cabins with reported problems (on the CC member reviews, anyway) were located way down on the A Deck, followed by 3 cabins on Lower Promenade and 1 each on the Main, Navigation and Veranda decks.

There's no consistency in particular cabin categories affected by a/c problems.

I hope somebody finds it helpful, or interesting.

We have been on the Maasdam in 2006 (lower promenade) and 2008 and 2009 (Main Deck). No AC problems in 2006 except our cabin 363 was right next to exit door that had a defective closing damper and it slammed VERY loudly whenever anyone went out. I had to complain to desk 3 times that this is dangerous because force could easily take off an arm etc............Fixed after 3 days.

AC issues are a valid concern on the Maasdam and the thermostats in the room have little to no functional effect on the temperature. On our last cruise in 2009 a report that our room was too hot was initially addressed by someone coming in while we were away to turn down the setting............no effect. After a second call things got better for a while but room never got below 75 degrees and we lived with it. I saw when doors were opened that many of the Interior cabins had fans. Our OV room was on the starboard side and we needed to keep drapes closed to keep out some of the sun so I suggest going for a Port side cabin.

I really love most all of the other features of the Maasdam but I have posted in my cruise reviews that basic problems with AC and elevators need to be taken care of before the next refurbishment in 2011.

Well, that was an interesting exercise. Information obtained from a cruise fan board probably doesn't give the very best information, but it's what we have.

About a dozen reviews mentioned air conditioning problems during the period July 2005 through December 2009. I only counted those reviews that actually mentioned an a/c issue--a couple of reviews indicated that although *their* cabin's a/c worked fine, they talked to other passengers who experienced problems. I did a very cursory read, and could have missed some. However, there are enough reviews to draw some conclusions.

Over half of the reviews in this sampling indicated a Southern Caribbean itinerary; the remaining reviews were evenly split between the Eastern and Western Caribbean with one review each for Transatlantic and Canada/NE (which is an immense relief to me!)

Half of the cabins with reported problems (on the CC member reviews, anyway) were located way down on the A Deck, followed by 3 cabins on Lower Promenade and 1 each on the Main, Navigation and Veranda decks.

There's no consistency in particular cabin categories affected by a/c problems.

I hope somebody finds it helpful, or interesting.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm thinking I'll be booking my 50th birthday cruise on the Maasdam so this information is good to know. I've been on the Maasdam once and my A/C was fine. I have had many issues on the Statendam and Ryndam but I've sailed those ships the most out of the fleet.

• 7 years later...

Maasdam AC problems were major on our 33 day South Pacific cruise, March 24- April 26, 2017. We were in a Neptune Suite and suffered with temps from 75 to 85 degrees the entire cruise! It was miserable! We had to keep our draperies closed the entire cruise, but they did bring us two box fans. Not much relief. We have since learned that this ship has had A/C problems going back to 2004, yet they keep selling the same suites at full prices, knowing their "guests" will be uncomfortable. Isn't that fraud, deceptive trade practices, unethical? Other Neptune Suites on the port side had the same issues; one couple even left the ship because of the problem.

We loved the itinerary and the lectures. . .but never again on the Maasdam.

The problem with people leaving balcony doors open affects everyone else on that particular ventilation circuit, which can include cabins on different floors and in different cabin categories.

In this case it would be impossible to predict which cabins might be affected, but a complaint to the front desk can put them on alert to check to see if this might be the problem. They apparently can tell by checking the draft from the air gap of the cabin door into to the hallway. Additionally, there seem to be interior adjustments that can also be made to the system so again a call to the front desk will get you a response if that is the problem too.

We have sailed the Maasdam several times and have not run into any A/C problems - once in the Southern Caribbean where it was hot and once on a transatlantic where the outdoor weather was much cooler.

Maasdam AC problems were major on our 33 day South Pacific cruise' date=' March 24- April 26, 2017. We were in a Neptune Suite and suffered with temps from 75 to 85 degrees the entire cruise! It was miserable! We had to keep our draperies closed the entire cruise, but they did bring us two box fans. Not much relief. We have since learned that this ship has had A/C problems going back to 2004, yet they keep selling the same suites at full prices, knowing their "guests" will be uncomfortable. Isn't that fraud, deceptive trade practices, unethical? Other Neptune Suites on the port side had the same issues; one couple even left the ship because of the problem.

We loved the itinerary and the lectures. . .but never again on the Maasdam.[/quote']

What was your stateroom number? (We are booked for later this year.)

Were on the Maasdam in March 2016 cabin 177 and had AC and toilet issues. Friends were in an inside handicap cabin, forget the number, but they had AC issues too.Our's was out for a couple of days and we actually got a nice OBC. Of course most of the cabins, verandahs, in our area had AC issues and there was a number of late night "discussions" with staff about it. So I guess they decided to be more generous than past cruises. We did have a good time in spite of these problems. Still all in all we wouldn't consider this ship again unless the itinerary was exceptional. Way too many other newer and nicer ships to travel on.

Dan

I hope someone chimes in, Carol. It seems to me that the issues were on the Main Deck but I could be dead wrong.

I have been on the Maasdam 4 times - 3 of them in tropical climes. I was on the Transpacific and Circumnavigation of Australia last fall. I always book an ocean view midships on the Main Deck. I have never had a problem. I do close the curtains if the afternoon sun is coming in directly but otherwise have had no issues.

Leslie

A/C problems on the Maasdam were in Neptune Suites' date=' port side, Navigation Deck, specifically 024, 022, 020, etc. on our recent South Pacific cruise.[/quote']

Thank you for your helpful reply.

One guideline you can count on: Older ships - Veendam and Maasdam - crossing the equator itineraries - expect stressed AC systems. Expect it to get better as you move away from the hottest part of the equator zone. So as a rule, the A/C issues may or may not be an issue depending on your itinerary.

Looks like both well-loved ships will no longer be with us for much longer, so choosing another ship maybe will open up a space for some of her die-hard fans. Count us among them, and we will just have to accept her wrinkles and flaws becuase she has been very, very good to us in the past. We will be sailing her home (near the equator) from Boston to San Diego after the VOV run on the Rotterdam. So I can now offer daily report using my trusty cabin thermometer on the Maasdam too.

Friends just off her Panama Canal cruise, first HAL cruise but avid Celebrity cruisers.

They report far too many issues with the AC, and water pouring was down from the galley. Many people had to be reassigned, elevators were out because of water damage, and there were a couple power outages.

Old ship, bad first impression. Sucks.

Friends just off her Panama Canal cruise, first HAL cruise but avid Celebrity cruisers.

They report far too many issues with the AC, and water pouring was down from the galley. Many people had to be reassigned, elevators were out because of water damage, and there were a couple power outages.

Old ship, bad first impression. Sucks.

There's just no way to make a pretty picture out of that although I'm sure someone will try ;p. It's a shame that Hal had a chance to gain new customers but because of the poor shape of some ships it doesn't look like it will happen. I really do enjoy Hal a lot but there are a few ships I'd think twice about sailing on. Life is too short to deal with that.

There's just no way to make a pretty picture out of that although I'm sure someone will try ;p. It's a shame that Hal had a chance to gain new customers but because of the poor shape of some ships it doesn't look like it will happen. I really do enjoy Hal a lot but there are a few ships I'd think twice about sailing on. Life is too short to deal with that.

Two or so years and the most troubled ones leave, so they have that going for them.

We had a horrible Veendam cruise; had it been our first it would've been our last.

There is a reason that HAL is trying to unload these ships. Both well past their best before date. Clearly, HAL does not see a payback in replacing or upgrading major engineering systems. In the interim, they just try to get every dime out of them they can until they leave the fleet.

These are not new issues on either ship. What amazes me is the cheerleaders who insist on making excuses for HAL. The usual...like balcony doors open or it could not have been warm if you did not sail with a thermometer. I mean really, who would book a cruise that you had to actually bring a thermometer to check the cabin temperature because you anticipated HVAC issues?

Edited by iancal

There is a reason that HAL is trying to unload these ships. Both well past their best before date. Clearly, HAL does not see a payback in replacing or upgrading major engineering systems. In the interim, they just try to get every dime out of them they can until they leave the fleet.

These are not new issues on either ship. What amazes me is the cheerleaders who insist on making excuses for HAL. The usual...like balcony doors open or it could not have been warm if you did not sail with a thermometer. I mean really, who would book a cruise that you had to actually bring a thermometer to check the cabin temperature because you anticipated HVAC issues?

Keep your balcony door closed so you don't ruin the ventilation system for others.

And do take a thermometer if you want to report back the actual temperatures you experienced. 75 degrees is still within HAL guidelines. 85 degrees obviously is not. So it is not helpful to claim temperature were "75-85" since that could mean they were mostly normal according to HAL guidelines, or mostly not.

Seriously, why would I even bother taking a cruise on ship that I felt the need to take a thermometer to prove that it is hot or cold???

I know when I am hot, when it is so hot in the cabin that I cannot sleep. Same with cold. And I certainly would not feel that I had to prove it to someone on this board.

If I was the least bit concerned about it, I would be booking on another ship that I did not feel the NEED to pack a thermometer. Seriously, what else do you take? Something to analyze air quality, perhaps a meat thermometer to check that the hot food is lukewarm or cold.

How about a flood in the room......rubber boots or waterproof slippers? Or perhaps flippers.

Seriously, why would I even bother taking a cruise on ship that I felt the need to take a thermometer to prove that it is hot or cold???

I know when I am hot, when it is so hot in the cabin that I cannot sleep. Same with cold. And I certainly would not feel that I had to prove it to someone on this board.

If I was the least bit concerned about it, I would be booking on another ship that I did not feel the NEED to pack a thermometer. Seriously, what else do you take? Something to analyze air quality, perhaps a meat thermometer to check that the hot food is lukewarm or cold.

How about a flood in the room......rubber boots or waterproof slippers? Or perhaps flippers.

I will be going on the Maasdam in Sept. I will be taking my thermometer. We will be sailing into the tropics. I will make a report of daily temperature ranges.

Then others can decide if the reported cabin temperatures for this Panama Canal itinerary will make them feel too hot, too cold or just right. Call it a public service.

If the dear, grand lady is still even sailing much more after 2018. She is/was a classic. Loved her.

How did "leaks from the galley" become a "flood in the room" requiring rubber boots? I'll deal with facts. Exaggerations can find a home elsewhere.