white pants

We are doing a Baltic cruise the first week of June. Will I look out of place wearing white pants on the ship at night?

Hi, :)I have not done this itinerary but in my opinion, there are no

"color rules" anymore. If you have a pair of white slacks that you like

and want to wear, then wear them:)

hello

This question has been asked many times. Until I started reading on Cruise Critic I was totally unaware of the antiquated American rule of 'no white after Labour Day' White is a summery colour, so wear it in June by all means. I am still wearing my white linen trousers well into October if it's warm enough. Whether I wear them is ONLY decided by temperature and occasion, not some 'rule'!:)

And Labour Day ( Jour de Travail) is in May!!

HTH

Well, I don't wear white pants (too messy ;-) but depending on the specific fabric of your pants and the temps in the places you'll be visiting - might be cool for linen.

On the other hand, I'd probably wear a sleeveless cotton knit dress (with a cardigan as needed) in the same temps, so it probably depends on your internal temps as well as the fabric specifics:p

It's fine to wear Summer (bright white) pants anywhere after Easter and before Labor Day. :D

It's fine in Europe to wear white pants at any time of the year! As I said in my previous post, nobody other than North Americans is aware of this rule. I presume the pasengers on the ship the poster will be on will be of many nationalities and won't know if they're committing a (US) faux pas!:)

It's fine in Europe to wear white pants at any time of the year! As I said in my previous post, nobody other than North Americans is aware of this rule. I presume the pasengers on the ship the poster will be on will be of many nationalities and won't know if they're committing a (US) faux pas!:)

Some folks are just out of the loope. This has NOT been a faux pas in the US for years. High and lower fashions are shown in white all year round.

Enjoy your white pants any time any date!

Thanks everyone for your replies, although orchestrapal yours was rude. I wasn't concerned so much with the date, but with the temperature. I still equate white pants with warm weather.

Sorry should have quoted the reference " after April and before Labor Day." As the out of the loope.

I wasn't concerned so much with the date, but with the temperature. I still equate white pants with warm weather.

And that's why *I* brought up the weather and NOT the date. Check the average temps of your ports for the time period you'll be there and check the specific forecast just before you travel and then decide if your specific white pants meet your needs given the expected weather....

No, you were right, I am out of the loop. I just don't like to be reminded of it. I would put a emoji of rolling eyes here, but I don't know how to do it. How sad is that?

Edited by Izzys mom

Eh, I will silently judge the crap out of anyone wearing white linen when it's 35 degrees outside. And very possibly someone wearing linen of any sort to a Thanksgiving dinner. I'm old fashioned and I have no problem with that. There are certain things I will or will not wear based on what I think is appropriate.

I don't answer questions like that here (since most travelers who post here are talking about Caribbean travel anyway, the white/linen issue is at least moot in regards to temps) But I do always caution people to think about climate and expectations when packing.

Eh, I will silently judge the crap out of anyone wearing white linen when it's 35 degrees outside. And very possibly someone wearing linen of any sort to a Thanksgiving dinner. I'm old fashioned and I have no problem with that. There are certain things I will or will not wear based on what I think is appropriate.

I don't answer questions like that here (since most travelers who post here are talking about Caribbean travel anyway, the white/linen issue is at least moot in regards to temps) But I do always caution people to think about climate and expectations when packing.

35 degrees???? I would die of heat exhaustion if I wore anything other than white cotton or linen in those temperatures:eek:

In South Florida we frequently have Thanksgivings that hit the 80s. White linen should be okay in those circumstances. My rule, if it is warm enough to go swimming, it is warm enough to wear white linen or similar fabrics.

Climate + fabric content are the most/only important things. If you're satisified with your combination, great.

Who came up with the white/Memorial/labor day thing? Northerners. Probably rich northerners, because - laundry:D

There's a big difference between Bright white and Winter white in color and the fabric as well.

Bright White cotton pants are fine anytime in the Caribbean/tropics. Not so good until after Easter and before Labor Day elsewhere. ;)

Ah - just dawned on me you don't use Celsius in North America. :)

Unfortunately very few school systems introduced the Metric system and Celsius when Kennedy promoted them in his "race for space" platform. I lucked out when Wisconsin adopted the teaching guidelines without a political vote for grades K-12. About the only problems I had living in Germany and Italy was buying cookbooks that were from Anglo-American stores and had to deal with Imperial units and grams for things like powdered gelatin and flour/sugar. Fro what my best friend who stayed here has told me Metric was dropped soon after we graduated high school. She got it as part of her nursing school but her kids haven't a clue what a kilometer is even though cars here do have both marked on the speedometers.

I do just fine with metric when I'm traveling (and since I have a scale & proper measuring cups, I can cook from metric recipes as well) But yes, since I live in the US (and this website is a US based website, despite a lovely large international presence) I do use the weights & measures that are standard in this country.....

• 4 weeks later...