Aft view balcony

kirasmom

Can be noisy - is going to be dirty - sooty from the stack - don't wear white out there. Also if you encounter rough seas you can be knocked all about while trying to sleep. There also a lot of vibration. We did it once, NEVER again.

You won't know if you like an aft balcony or not until you have one!

My opinion on the aft balcony is completely opposite of a previous poster, Moxie99.

We were also on the Conquest, January 2013 out of New Orleans, and it was the first cruise with an aft balcony. We absolutely LOVED it!!!

Cruising out of New Orleans you're on the river for 7-8 hours before getting out to sea so it was wonderful to enjoy the departing view from our aft balcony.

There was never any black soot from the stack, and we had no problems sleeping at night.

Being able to see all around the back was wonderful, instead of just on one side like a side balcony.

One of my favorite things to do on any cruise is to order room service breakfast and enjoy it on the balcony, so I thoroughly enjoyed watching the wake of the ship while I ate and had my morning coffee. Plus it was great to be able to see so much when pulling into and out of port.

AND the balcony was big enough for two regular chairs PLUS a lounger. I made good use of that lounger all week. :) I love spending an hour or two in the afternoon reading on my balcony.

I hope to try one of the aft "wrap around" balconies sometime too!

We have had several cruises in aft balcony cabins and we love them. Have never had soot and no more things flying in than the side balconies get from people throwing things overboard. They can get a bit warm but have so much more room you can actually sun bath on them, they usually have a lounge chair. The best part is the view, you can see both sides at once, if you ever go to Curacao it is amazing to see the entrance like that. I don't understand the comment on noise, there is nothing there but the wake from the ship, I would imagine the vibrations would depend on the ship but I've never noticed any although I like a little rock with my sleep. As someone suggested you have to try it for yourself.

While we've never had an Aft balcony, I have had several (six or seven?) Aft Wraps. The "Aft" portion can be damn hot as there seldom is any breeze. Coupled with the soot/garbage/lack of privacy/limited view, I'd pass on an Aft only.

But the side "Wrap" portion of an Aft Wrap is very nice! Shade, privacy and the ability to see where you're going. Coupled with a giant balcony (we had 36' of balcony on the Dream) makes these cabins unique.

I'm not a fan of the AFT balcony either. Although I didn't encounter any soot or flying garbage, my biggest complaint was the heat. It was so hot during the day we couldn't enjoy it. Pros were that we enjoyed the view...but I wouldn't pay extra for it. I also didn't like being that far from the elevator.

I have my first experience with an aft wrap-around balcony cabin coming up in June on the Glory, cabin 8455. From all the threads I've read about these cabins I think my wife and I are going to love it.

I've seen a few videos taken by cruisers about these balconies. They look fantastic. So much room and eating breakfast out there while watching the ship's wake... Doesn't get much better than that.

My husband and I had our first aft balcony in September and loved it. The view is amazing and we would do it again for the view. Noise wasn't a problem nor did we encounter soot. There is a lack of privacy because of the slanted walls. You get to know your neighbours. Although the balcony is larger, the room configuration is different. You might be able to see it on youtube. But glad others don't like it so more will be available!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked the conquest for august, never stayed in the aft balcony cabin, is it worth the extra few dollars?

While we have had aft suites on Celebrity, I must say our favorite suite! Never had on Carnival however. The view is wonderful and on the Celebrity Silhouette, no real problems with soot- butler kept the balcony clean. I wouldn't recommend that you go too high up- but we didn't feel any vibrations.

We have sailed many times and look forward to experiencing different cabins on different ships-

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide!

We love the aft. The wrap is particularly nice :) We just gave up our aft for our January sailing to try a suite. The price was lower and we figured that we may as well try it now because we probably wouldn't book and pay for one ordinarily. We haven't had soot. We have only had some vibrations when the ship was leaving port. We had sufficient privacy as well. We don't cruise during the hot times of the year, so temps when there isn't a breeze has not been a problem for us.

It think that perhaps Moxie99 was doing what I have been TEMPTED to do many times on here. :)

Post awful, disparaging remarks about the HORRIBLE aft balconies so that cruisers don't all rush to book them, thus leaving a better selection for me.

It does turn out that there are a few cruisers who don't like the aft balconies due to motion or such, but in my opinion they are the best cabins on the ship.

Now if you can score an aft wrap, AWESOME.

gary

Can be noisy - is going to be dirty - sooty from the stack - don't wear white out there. Also if you encounter rough seas you can be knocked all about while trying to sleep. There also a lot of vibration. We did it once, NEVER again.

And I would disagree with everything this poster has written. While it's louder due to the wake, it's quieter than a side facing balcony due to less wind. Have had no issues with soot. Vibration only when docking or pushing off with thrusters. I'll never sail without an aft balcony ever again.

We had an aft wrap on the Triumph twice. It was my favorite cabin and I'd definitely book it again. I don't know about the regular aft balconies, though. The wrap cabin had a different shape and layout. It felt more spacious than a regular balcony cabin and the balcony certainly was. We didn't have any problems with soot, although on one cruise some kids up on the Lido threw a soft serve ice cream cone down onto our balcony.

:eek: Never experienced any of this.

Keep your aft, you'll love it. If the price is right, an aft wrap is our cabin of choice always.

DUDE whats going on?

Got to chime in love my aft balcony thats all we book now.

I love have the side to side sway rock us to sleep every night!

Hey Man! That was a GREAT cruise, wasn't it??

Just noticed we are both cruising' in a little more than a WEEK! We are headed back to San Juan!