Is over dressed as bad as under dressed?

Eglesbrech

It has been interesting to read views on the percieved / actual alteration in dress standards recently since Cunard introduced the new rules.

I like to dress up in the evening and it does not bother me what other people do. Live and let live as long as people broadly conform to the rules. (I do like to be smart but comfortable during the day).

How do others feel. Do you think there is such a thing as passengers being overdressed on the non formal evenings or indeed during the day and is that as bad as being underdressed?

Thoughts on a post card.:)

It has been interesting to read views on the perceived / actual alteration in dress standards recently since Cunard introduced the new rules.

I like to dress up in the evening and it does not bother me what other people do. Live and let live as long as people broadly conform to the rules. (I do like to be smart but comfortable during the day).

How do others feel. Do you think there is such a thing as passengers being overdressed on the non formal evenings or indeed during the day and is that as bad as being under-dressed?

Dressing up in the evenings on Cunard should be de rigueur. When they say that a tie is optional you should always wear one. Why lower your standards just to join the masses? In the daytime it's not so important, within reason of course.

. Do you think there is such a thing as passengers being overdressed on the non formal evenings or indeed during the day and is that as bad as being underdressed?

I certainly hope not. I plan to be overdressed alot since I bought semiformal clothing before the change. I will be wearing them!

If you view the dress code as a floor, not a ceiling, then it is hard to be overdressed - although I guess full morning dress, complete with top hat, could be viewed as a tad over the top.

To your question, somehow being overdressed never looks as bad as being underdressed. Like you, I prefer to look smart. On my forthcoming voyage to the Baltic, I plan to wear suits on informal nights; not least because it what I like to wear when I go out for an evening.

Others are, of course, free to follow their own preferences - provided they follow the dress code.

You can never be overdressed... at worst it marks you out as 'eccentric' ;) Very different to being underdressed...

On that note though, people's views of over/underdressed appear to vary widely - I'd far rather see a woman on a formal night in a stylish cocktail dress than a gaudy ballgown. Similarly, on an informal night I'll wear a tie myself but I'd rather see someone with a shirt/jacket and no tie than have to suffer another 'comedy' tie (let's put paid to the lie here - you may think you're showing the world how jovial and lighthearted you are, other people are thinking very different things.

And yes, my ties are very stylish! :D

I have sometimes suspected I am overdressed during the daytime. I see people wandering around in shorts and casual trousers while I wear dresses and skirts. I don't have the figure for shorts. When it's hot and humid I feel cooler in skirts. Personal preference. I'd rather be overdressed and comfortable.

It has been interesting to read views on the percieved / actual alteration in dress standards recently since Cunard introduced the new rules. I like to dress up in the evening and it does not bother me what other people do. Live and let live as long as people broadly conform to the rules. (I do like to be smart but comfortable during the day). How do others feel. Do you think there is such a thing as passengers being overdressed on the non formal evenings or indeed during the day and is that as bad as being underdressed? Thoughts on a post card.:)
In a word; depends... (:D).

I've been on short cruises where there was no formal night listed... but passengers decided independently that they were going to have a formal night without Cunard's permission! So, on one cruise, around 10% of the passengers were dressed "black tie" on a semi-formal night. And very fine they looked too, well done them I say (and wish I'd taken my formal wear as well).

On the other hand, someone wearing formal wear to lunch... or wearing "white tie" or "court dress" to dinner would be considered, by many, as "over-dressed" these days. Whereas "white tie" on men was almost universal in 1st class for dinner on board the great liners before WWII, these days, for dinner on land, it is very rarely seen, other than State Dinners, in the UK.

So, while I don't think you can be over-dressed for dinner, there are limits if one doesn't want to stand out. Or look foolish.

Surely the whole point of "black tie" is NOT to stand out...

A gentleman should allow the lady on his arm, in her stunning gown, to gather the attention, not divert eyes to his over-colourful bow tie/dinner jacket/cummerbund/waistcoat etc. :eek:

To be correctly attired for every occasion is my aim... :)

Edited by pepperrn

I can only say that the ladies range from beautiful and probably very pricey ball gowns to what one passenger said she would hesitate to wear during the day.

The gents on the other hand followed the code much more rigidly, all wore jackets and probably half wore ties, even though this was optional.

David.

It has been interesting to read views on the percieved / actual alteration in dress standards recently since Cunard introduced the new rules.

How do others feel. Do you think there is such a thing as passengers being overdressed on the non formal evenings or indeed during the day and is that as bad as being underdressed?

Personally, I would love Sebastian Horsley [RIP] at my table on casual nights. I endorse your feelings "Live and let live".

We have just spent 13 nights on Queen Victoria. More men seemed to wear ties than not but some wore one every night and some most nights. The ladies tended to wear the old semi formal, even on the last night.

On my forthcoming voyage to the Baltic, I plan to wear suits on informal nights; not least because it what I like to wear when I go out for an evening.

Good for you - but nobody, except yourself, will notice.

Barry

In a word; depends... (:D).

On the other hand, someone wearing formal wear to lunch... or wearing "white tie" or "court dress" to dinner would be considered, by many, as "over-dressed"

)

Hmm -- more like a bit "strange" :) - perhaps even weird bordering on dangerous?

Barry

Dressing up in the evenings on Cunard should be de rigueur. When they say that a tie is optional you should always wear one. Why lower your standards just to join the masses? In the daytime it's not so important, within reason of course.

I spent almost my entire 38 year working life wearing a suit to the office, so dressing up for informal dinner now I'm retired is not something I particularly enjoy. I am very happy to wear my DJ on formal evenings, but you will rarely find me wearing a tie on informal evenings. I would suggest that "smart casual" is perfectly acceptable, and that those who criticise are just trying to impose their own somewhat old-fashioned views on others who have embraced the 21st Century more willingly.

I'll get me coat ... ;)

Barry

There is no way that you could possibly know that no one on Fifer's upcoming voyage is going to notice him wearing a suit on an Informal night.

The voyage in question takes place in the future, the people taking this voyage haven't even boarded the ship yet.

It's quite possible that many people will notice Fifer in his suit, and think how smart he looks.

Good for you - but nobody, except yourself, will notice. Barry
What rot.

Maybe no-one will comment, but I'm sure some will notice.

Unless Fifer stays in his cabin all night... or all other passengers are blindfolded for the evening.

Honestly Barry, I can't work out the time-difference, but you're obviously up far too early and haven't woken properly yet, or have stayed up far, far too late... ;) .

Best wishes to your time zone :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I spent almost my entire 38 year working life wearing a suit to the office, so dressing up for informal dinner now I'm retired is not something I particularly enjoy......... those who criticise are just trying to impose their own somewhat old-fashioned views on others who have embraced the 21st Century more willingly.

The majority of comments on this thread suggest that your enthusiasm for the social and sartorial mores of the 21st Century are not widely shared. Quite the opposite in fact.

It takes only one minute to add a tie, hardly an onerous task. Do you by any chance work for the B.B.C.? - they share your enthusiasm for a tie-less nirvana.

The majority of comments on this thread suggest that your enthusiasm for the social and sartorial mores of the 21st Century are not widely shared. Quite the opposite in fact.

It takes only one minute to add a tie, hardly an onerous task. Do you by any chance work for the B.B.C.? - they share your enthusiasm for a tie-less nirvana.

I no longer work for anyone, I retired last year. But I did work for the UK's largest manufacturing company and nobody cared too much about what we wore so long as it was clean and tidy. You can be smart without wearing a suit you know.

Barry

:eek:

What rot.

Maybe no-one will comment, but I'm sure some will notice.

Unless Fifer stays in his cabin all night... or all other passengers are blindfolded for the evening.

Honestly Barry, I can't work out the time-difference, but you're obviously up far too early and haven't woken properly yet, or have stayed up far, far too late... ;) .

Best wishes to your time zone :) .

I agree 100 percent, pepper!

If the majority of people did not notice what others wore, there would not be a mega fashion industry and store shelves full of fashion magazines or TV programs dedicated to such.

On a ship when in close proximity with others, in my opinion, it is almost impossible not to notice what others wear. What they wear is their choice but that choice will be noticed...especially if it is a muscle shirt (underarm hair display apparel) worn to the main dining room!:eek:

I would suggest that "smart casual" is perfectly acceptable, and that those who criticise are just trying to impose their own somewhat old-fashioned views on others who have embraced the 21st Century more willingly. NeilT66

The problem is that once the dress code is lowered to "smart casual" there are many who take the 'smart' out and insert 'gym casual'. We witnessed this over the years on another line we frequent. What used to be an enjoyable and lovely evening in the main dining room has declined into an atmosphere of 'anything goes'. :eek: Why have a beautiful dining room and impeccably dressed waiters if what one wears would suit McDonald's fare or poolside attendance? :confused:

best regards,

seasidegal

:eek:

The problem is that once the dress code is lowered to "smart casual" there are many

who take the 'smart' out and insert 'gym casual'. We witnessed this over the years on another line we frequent. What used to be an enjoyable and lovely evening in the main dining room has declined into an atmosphere of 'anything goes'. :eek: Why have a beautiful dining room and impeccably dressed waiters if what one wears would suit McDonald's fare or poolside attendance?

Why indeed? If one dines in the evening with other people aboard a classic liner in elegant surroundings then a jacket and tie is the least one can do. Whether you have been coerced to wear a tie at your place of work is irrelevant.

The problem is that once the dress code is lowered to "smart casual" there are many who take the 'smart' out and insert 'gym casual'. We witnessed this over the years on another line we frequent. What used to be an enjoyable and lovely evening in the main dining room has declined into an atmosphere of 'anything goes'. :eek: Why have a beautiful dining room and impeccably dressed waiters if what one wears would suit McDonald's fare or poolside attendance? :confused: best regards, seasidegal
I totally agree with your comment, seasidegal. Well said :) .

No-one is made to sail on a Cunard ship, there are many, many other lines where "casual" clothes can be worn morning, noon and night.

Best wishes to you :) .

Edited by pepperrn