you got to be kidding me!!!!!!

First i want to say we just had a great 8 day cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. But.....it was the day before going to our last stop in Labadee and my son came down with a huge canker sore inside his mouth. We tried the salt thing but it wouldnt touch it so we went to the infirmary. They wanted to sell us a small tube of ambesol for guess how much........$90.00 BUCKS!!!!!!!! Ater paying all that money for the cruise plus what we spent onboard......what a slap in the face by RC! :mad::mad::mad:

First i want to say we just had a great 8 day cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. But.....it was the day before going to our last stop in Labadee and my son came down with a huge canker sore inside his mouth. We tried the salt thing but it wouldnt touch it so we went to the infirmary. They wanted to sell us a small tube of ambesol for guess how much........$90.00 BUCKS!!!!!!!! Ater paying all that money for the cruise plus what we spent onboard......what a slap in the face by RC! :mad::mad::mad:

So, did you pay the 90 bucks?

That is what you should have insurance for, then you would not have to worry.

Not sure insurance would cover Ambesol since it's over the counter, not a prescription, making the purchase pretty much the same as buying Visine or Sudafed.

Yikes, In the future try vinegar, those sores are caused by acidic foods and the alkalinity of vinegar is soothing and helps the healing start. And get him to brush his teeth regularly. Plus, I'm guessing some sort of sore throat spray was only $9 in the store.

Yikes, In the future try vinegar, those sores are caused by acidic foods and the alkalinity of vinegar is soothing and helps the healing start. And get him to brush his teeth regularly. Plus, I'm guessing some sort of sore throat spray was only $9 in the store.

Uh, vinegar is actually acidic........:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

This is exactly why I bring a mini pharmacy along with me on all cruises. My family has always given me a hard time about it, but I like to know that I have whatever I might need (I like my own brands), and didn't pay through the roof for it.

Will start packing for our next cruise in a few months. Will show this to my family if they get on my case again.

That is ridiculous! Mark it up yes pay premium yes but 90.00 for a 6.00 tube of anbesol!!! Crazy! God forgid you need neosporin or something!!

I would have to be dieing to go to the ships infirmary and would likely not go even then..........you think your local ER is expensive! NOTHING compared to what you pay on the ship! Of course that about goes without saying on EVERYTHING.

Insurance is great and I buy it every time BUT I bet it takes six weeks or longer to get reimbursed if you have to file a claim!

The vinegar was $95 a bottle

I am sure that this kind of up-marking will occur in any emergent care situation on most any cruise line or vacation. I don't see it as an RCI-only issue.

Just sharing: my dentist gave me the best remedy for canker sores in the mouth--scrub with a dry q tip until the top layer comes off and it bleeds a bit. Hurts like he**, but works like a charm--it will close up and go away after that. Brutal but effective.

teddie

This is exactly why I bring a mini pharmacy along with me on all cruises. My family has always given me a hard time about it, but I like to know that I have whatever I might need (I like my own brands), and didn't pay through the roof for it.

Will start packing for our next cruise in a few months. Will show this to my family if they get on my case again.

Glad I am not the only one who packs a mini pharmacy. I have everything from neosporin to immodium and everything in between. And since we HAVE used it a few times, my son has never given me a hard time. You ever need to use that mini pharmacy your family will thank you ;) trust me.

I am guessing that you did not pay for it. I also bring alot of over the counter medicine from home because they do charge outrageous prices because where else are you going to go to get it. It is what it is.

Each crise my DH says why do we need to take a pharmacy.I am going to print this post and place it in my pharmacy bag.;)

I also carry everything but the kitchen sink in my kit....but I'm thinking...no criticism on the OP, but geesh, we all get these kinds of things on occasion and most of us just grin and bare it. I think a lot of parents give in too readily to little scrapes and scratches. We would come home covered in boo boos after a day at play. We didn't go to the doctor unless we were half dead and boy did it boost our immune systems. Now kids come in from playing with a scratch and it has to have a bandaide.....we didn't even get a bandaide unless the thing was bleeding buckets. They just put "Monkey Blood" on it, kissed us on the forehead and sent us back out into the fray. Most ulcers are virul or herpes, you can't do much for that. Anyways, I think we as a culture should encourage our children to "buck up"...stuff happens. Just sayin....I wouldn't have gone for anything because of a cankor sore. Luckily I have that remedy in my goody bag. After paying $$$ for little necessities like that (even toothpaste) I learned. But blaming the cruise line...not so much. The price is rediculous, but not a problem to me.

Archived