It might be easier to find a unicorn in FLL

beachbum53

That's during Spring Break, so you may have a tough time finding a good deal on a nice hotel. We're going in May, and the price I found for the Hyatt is $99.00 a night.

Really don't think spring break would make that much of a difference. Early December 2015 we stayed at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach and paid $200 a night. Thought it would of been a lot cheaper in December before the holidays. I guess if they can get the rate, they will get it.

That's during Spring Break, so you may have a tough time finding a good deal on a nice hotel. We're going in May, and the price I found for the Hyatt is $99.00 a night.

Really don't think spring break would make that much of a difference. Early December 2015 we stayed at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach and paid $200 a night. Thought it would of been a lot cheaper in December before the holidays. I guess if they can get the rate, they will get it.

Of course Spring Break makes a difference. Any time there is a peak demand for hotel rooms, there will be fewer, if any, discounts available.

Edited by beachbum53

QUOTE: Comfort Suites 17th & Federal Hwy. - $119.00

I just checked for this Comfort Suites on 17th & Federala Hwy. Does NOT come up on the Comfort (Choice Hotels) site. When I did a google search, it says that this hotel is CLOSED. Does anyone know if this hotel has a new name or is it definitely closed? Also looking for a reasonable place. Have booked the Quality Inn on Sterling Rd. but looking for another reasonable alternative.

That Quality Inn is a bit old, but we have stayed there several times. There is a new Comfort Suites just down the street and a Hampton Inn next door. Our primary credit card is the Choice Privileges card so we usually stay for free.

December is our peak season. It isn't off season.

http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/

Hampton Inn Downtown

Friday night $95

Saturday night $103

Remodeling is scheduled for this spring

In the past anyone could us the MVP rate but a recent thread noted that the Hilton MVP site now lists the restrictions for using that rate. Hilton now requires proof that the guest meets MVP requirements. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2298539

This is a little different, but we too are budget travellers and just choked at the price of Fort Lauderdale hotels. Might not be what you are after, but maybe think outside the box.

We wanted to fly in a few days early for our Fall cruise and maybe enjoy the beach or some local touristy things.

When I looked at booking a beachside hotel for a few nights - it was totally beyond my budget plans - so here is what we did instead.

We booked a one way airfare into Orlando instead of Fort Lauderdale, and a return flight out of Fort Lauderdale for the end of our cruise. We then booked 4 nights in Orlando on I Drive at a reasonably comfortable hotel we have stayed at and enjoyed in the past (close to $50 per night). We also booked the 5 event explorer pass (choose 5 local attractions for $95 - and includes the I drive trolley for 3 days) and length of stay Wet And Wild tickets ($47 each after tax). We then booked a shuttle to pick us up from our hotel in Orlando on the day of the cruise and drop us off right at the cruise port. the cost is $65 per person (and you arrive by 10:30am or 11:30 am - your choice). You could rent a car and drive yourself for a little less, but this way we don't have to worry about driving.

All of this comes in far cheaper than 3 nights in even a "reasonable" beachfront Fort Lauderdale hotel. In fact we are paying about $600 for the motel, entertainment, and shuttle to the port and that's for four nights.

As far as the two One way fares - Vancouver to Orlando and then Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver - it came in cheaper than a round trip Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale ($152 US one way to Orlando. $193 US One way from Ft Lauderdale to home in Vancouver. Round trip to Ft Lauderdale is $397 US for the flights that work for us. It's about $50 per ticket cheaper our way - but hey - it matters to me :o.)

I am very happy with our plans. A little Orlando fun and then a 14 day Caribbean cruise, and still on budget.

Don

• 8 months later...
I'm looking for something that may not exist. A budget friendly hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (under $100.00 a night for two) with shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to Port Everglades. With good reviews (at least three stars), in a decent area, and within a short walk (less than a mile) to restaurants and stores (to purchase sodas and last minute items). I've looked on Trip Advisor, and found a few "maybes", but reviews are mixed. The closest "maybe" I've found so far is the Comfort Suites in Dania Beach for $110.00, but I don't know what's close by.

You're going to have a very tough time finding that in early April, but try the Hampton Inn - Plantation. It has everything you are looking for and then some, except maybe price. You know what Mick says, though..."You can't always get what you want."

Edit: I hate it when I reply to a really old post without noticing, but my recommendation still stands.

Edited by Lido_Deck

When are you traveling? Prices vary wildly depending upon the season. High season is Christmas thru April and low season is during the summer.

Our cruise is the last week of May. I'm finding that to get what I want, I can expect to pay $150.00 or more per night. Yikes! Not exactly "budget friendly". :eek:

At least you are not in the peak season! You might try hotels in the Plantation area - I think a few have shuttles that you are looking for. Also, Dania Beach area, which has several places with shuttles.

If anyone is looking for a Ft Lauderdale hotel for any of these dates:

Feb 6 - Feb 14, 2017

We have a group rate of $239.00 at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina.

There is also a parking discount (for the hotel stay & if parking during the cruise)

The regular rate is as high as $300.00. :eek:

Get in touch if you want more info: desertstorm25th@gmail.com

Our group is a military reunion and we are sailing on Feb 12 on the Freedom of the Seas.

We are glad to share our group rate! :)

If anyone is looking for a Ft Lauderdale hotel for any of these dates:

Feb 6 - Feb 14' date=' 2017

We have a group rate of $239.00 at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina.

There is also a parking discount (for the hotel stay & if parking during the cruise)

The regular rate is as high as $300.00. :eek:

Get in touch if you want more info: [email']desertstorm25th@gmail.com[/email]

Our group is a military reunion and we are sailing on Feb 12 on the Freedom of the Seas.

We are glad to share our group rate! :)

I agree---that is a great rate for that area and hotel and for that time of year! That is also the usual time we cruise, and have paid $300+ for a hotel in that area! But our cruise this year is in January, so we cannot use your rate. Thank you for your generous offer, though, and I'm sure somebody will jump on it! Enjoy your reunion!

I have used this hotel in the past. It is right on the Boardwalk and the room had everything I wanted. It is dead cheap for where it is and the owners couldn't have done more to make my three day stay there more pleasant.

Last time I tried to save a little money on a night's sleep, we booked a Days Inn. Outside in the parking lot was an aborted fetus from some unknown species of animal. The bathtub in the room literally looked like someone played in the mud then rinsed themselves off. The rest of the room wasn't much better.

Ended up scrambling last minute and booked the last room at another hotel. We called several places that were already booked.

Never again.

I had looked at Rodeway Inn, but after reading the reviews on both Trip Advisor and trivago, I opted to pass.

Great Pass!

You were right to look at TripAdvisor, the Fort Lauderdale DE's will steer you clear of that place. Listen to BlueHerons who also gives great advice !:)

Edited by Reader0108598

Hi, Our cruise leaves on Monday, Jan 2 so we are flying in Jan 1. I knew prices would be high and availability limited, my concern is getting cocktails and dinner that evening before bed and of course with no car and being new years day I'm wondering about what will be open in the evening.

So I'm looking at hotels that have restaurants on site I found Hyatt, pier 66 for $218, the other hotel I was looking at was Renaissance. Many others on 17t are already booked. I'm not familiar with the area but did a google map search of the area, anyone know of other hotels that can be considered?

Hi, Our cruise leaves on Monday, Jan 2 so we are flying in Jan 1. I knew prices would be high and availability limited, my concern is getting cocktails and dinner that evening before bed and of course with no car and being new years day I'm wondering about what will be open in the evening.

So I'm looking at hotels that have restaurants on site I found Hyatt, pier 66 for $218, the other hotel I was looking at was Renaissance. Many others on 17t are already booked. I'm not familiar with the area but did a google map search of the area, anyone know of other hotels that can be considered?

I have stayed in that area three times, and have stayed at the Renaissance twice. Very nice and it does have a restaurant. It is directly across from the port. I have also stayed at the Hilton, which is just down the road on the same side, at the marina. Very nice, and it has a restaurant. There is also an Embassy Suites on that same street, and they should have a restaurant. There are several restaurants on that street---a lot of chains--and the Bimini Boatyard just a bit back from the Renaissance hotel. We had a wonderful evening there before our last cruise. There is a Panera down the street, that we walked to for breakfast before boarding our ship.

You're going to have a very tough time finding that in early April, but try the Hampton Inn - Plantation. It has everything you are looking for and then some, except maybe price. You know what Mick says, though..."You can't always get what you want."

Edit: I hate it when I reply to a really old post without noticing, but my recommendation still stands.

Try the La Quinta in Plantation. We have stayed there a number of times. You can easily walk to the nearby Mall. We always have our car so you will have to check to see if everything is close enough. But we have always enjoyed the place. It has a nice canal behind it where we would watch turtles and fish we loved it, nice pool too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much. We are now looking at the Cambria, the website says it has a bar and restaurant (showed pics) and the price was cheaper ($179) than the Hyatt pier 66 and Renaissance, those two have recently received bad reviews on tripadvisor about cleanliness and bugs :(

Try the La Quinta in Plantation. We have stayed there a number of times. You can easily walk to the nearby Mall. We always have our car so you will have to check to see if everything is close enough. But we have always enjoyed the place. It has a nice canal behind it where we would watch turtles and fish we loved it, nice pool too.

There are two La Quinta Inns in Plantation within a couple blocks of each other. The one on 6th has just been remodeled, but it is not the one with the canal.