RCCL Cancelled Brilliance 10-14 May 2016

I am really PO'd at RCCL. We booked a trans-Atlantic out of Tampa on the Brilliance in 2016 and following two BtB cruises for 2016. We did it on the ship thru their future cruise agents. We try to do this 1-2 years in advance so we get the same cabin for all three. We were just about to book airfare returning from Barcelona to Florida when we get a call from our travel agent that RCCL cancelled the 4 day #2 leg. Seems a company chartered the ship for a Back Street Boys concert.

That is really disappointing. Many people use the TA to get to Europe to do following cruises. They said they would cover $200 to change airline reservations. However, we usually go 1st or business class and it wouldn't cover the change. The flights out of Barcelona are on no name airlines (Air Europa and LOT) and if you booked them and cancelled you only get a credit and would have to use them later and pay now. That royally sucks (no pun intended).

It's pretty sad that RCCL can just arbitrarily cancel booked cruises at a whim.

The only ones that suffer are the passengers.

We're pretty loyal, getting up there in D+, and are very disappointed. Now we have to rebook another lot of TA's but will look at other cruise lines to spend our funds with.

If you are booked on the Brilliance TA out of Tampa in 2016 and have BtB cruises - beware.

We lost a cruise on the Mariner a few years back but not due to a charter. Mariner had just come to the West Coast and doing Mexican cruises so we booked with a group of friends then Royal pulls the plug and sends her over to Europe. I took the money and applied it toward our upcoming TA from Barcelona on the LOS, on Oct 2011. Unfortunately, they see bigger $$$$ with a Charter & they will cancel everyone already booked.

I always book the shorter sailings with RCI out of Barcelona, when they are available and did one on Liberty last year. I have noticed that they tend to be booked by a lot of corporate and incentive groups. I did notice that some of the passengers from the TA had stayed on though.

I was booked on this sailing directly with RCI and they did send out the email about this on June 15th.

I will just note that for those of us booked only on this cruise, they did offer us to sail on the newly released Harmony of the Seas sailing one month later on June 7th, 2016. They offered price protection, with one extra day, and a $100 standard/$200 suite OBC.

Those wishing to make the change only have until Monday the 29th to accept the offer or place the OBC offered on another sailing.

However, we usually go 1st or business class and it wouldn't cover the change. The flights out of Barcelona are on no name airlines (Air Europa and LOT) and if you booked them and cancelled you only get a credit and would have to use them later and pay now. That royally sucks (no pun intended).
Could you elaborate on what a 'no name' airline is? As a business travel consultant I'm not familiar with this term for both the airlines you mention.

This happens quite frequently. Happened to us for Oasis March 2016.

Why not make the best of it and spend the 4 days in Barcelona touring the city and surrounding area.

Great idea, there is some much to see and enjoy in the area.

This happens quite frequently. Happened to us for Oasis March 2016.

Why not make the best of it and spend the 4 days in Barcelona touring the city and surrounding area.

Or possibly book the Back Street Boys cruise.

To me, having to unpack, do the offload, kill 4 days in a place I don't want to be, then reverse the process is a waste of my time and money. Earlier in our lives, when we were stationed in Europe, we traveled extensively using EurRail passes and have already been to the major cities.

To get the Harmony means staying in Barcelona longer plus changing ships. Another non-starter.

The no-name airline phrase I mention is not equivalent to the major players I use, say Delta, American, et al where it could be used to other places I frequently go to and gain benefits. The only reason I even looked at LOT and AirEuropa is they were the only ones with pricing available out of Barcelona. An example of a no-name airline would be what happened with Germanwings when lack of supervision by the airline allowed a pilot to crash the plane into a rock-filled cloud. I'd rather have a U.S. carrier. My $.02 and personal opinion.

To me, having to unpack, do the offload, kill 4 days in a place I don't want to be, then reverse the process is a waste of my time and money. Earlier in our lives, when we were stationed in Europe, we traveled extensively using EurRail passes and have already been to the major cities.

To get the Harmony means staying in Barcelona longer plus changing ships. Another non-starter.

The no-name airline phrase I mention is not equivalent to the major players I use, say Delta, American, et al where it could be used to other places I frequently go to and gain benefits. The only reason I even looked at LOT and AirEuropa is they were the only ones with pricing available out of Barcelona. An example of a no-name airline would be what happened with Germanwings when lack of supervision by the airline allowed a pilot to crash the plane into a rock-filled cloud. I'd rather have a U.S. carrier. My $.02 and personal opinion.

:eek: WOW :eek:

I am really PO'd at RCCL. We booked a trans-Atlantic out of Tampa on the Brilliance in 2016 and following two BtB cruises for 2016. We did it on the ship thru their future cruise agents. We try to do this 1-2 years in advance so we get the same cabin for all three. We were just about to book airfare returning from Barcelona to Florida when we get a call from our travel agent that RCCL cancelled the 4 day #2 leg. Seems a company chartered the ship for a Back Street Boys concert.

That is really disappointing. Many people use the TA to get to Europe to do following cruises. They said they would cover $200 to change airline reservations. However, we usually go 1st or business class and it wouldn't cover the change. The flights out of Barcelona are on no name airlines (Air Europa and LOT) and if you booked them and cancelled you only get a credit and would have to use them later and pay now. That royally sucks (no pun intended).

We're pretty loyal, getting up there in D+, and are very disappointed. Now we have to rebook another lot of TA's but will look at other cruise lines to spend our funds with.

If you are booked on the Brilliance TA out of Tampa in 2016 and have BtB cruises - beware.

I am sure EVERY cruise line that you will look at will tell you the same thing that Royal does in the cruise contract -- that THEY can make any change to the cruise they want and do it at their discretion. The line offers some compensation to cruisers for the inconvenience, but it is the same regardless of cruise line, I am sure.

We all know when booking a cruise it can happen.

Could you elaborate on what a 'no name' airline is? As a business travel consultant I'm not familiar with this term for both the airlines you mention.

LOT is definitely not a no name airline. It is a codeshare partner of United. Great flights from London to Warsaw! Air Europa is the 3rd largest airline in Spain. Just because someone is not familiar with an airline does not make it a no name airline!

First world problem for sure! No sympathy from this quarter. I would be thrilled to spend 4 days in Barcelona. After a while cruising gets to be a bore - same menus, same activities. After a long TA this would be a great break!

Edited by DebJ14

This is a stuppid statement. Germanwings is Lufthansa and this is not a no-name airline. It was a tragedy but in general all mayor US airlines have worse safety statistics, much older aircrafts and more accidents than Lufthansa group or other large European airlines.

I'm sorry you are having your vacation plans messed up, but I'm certain that all cruiselines will cancel if a lucrative charter offer comes up, and not all of them will offer any compensation to displaced passengers.

I'm not sure I understand about the airfare - you said you were "about" to book air when you got the cancellation notice. Did you go ahead and book it anyway?:confused: Also, even the "name" airlines aren't likely to give you your money back unless you paid full fare for your BC/FC seats - AA, for example, has an "I" BC fare that is nonrefundable, costs $200 to change ($300 for international flights) and any new flight must be taken within a year.

If you haven't already booked the air, then, although I understand your disappointment, I think you may be overreacting a bit.

Wow and double wow! Thanks for the explanation of a 'no name airline'. I'll remember that when my clients specify these are one of their preferred carriers

and suggest they travel by a major player such as you prefer so that can pay for everything including baggage and beverages!

Oh and just for information, Air Europa is a member of Sky Team which also has Delta (a major player in your words) as a member and so there are reciprocal benefits for you by flying Air Europa.

LOT are also a member of Star Alliance which also has United as a member which I assume you consider a 'major player' and a U.S. carrier so once again will have reciprocal benefits for you.

In both cases flying with these airlines will give you 'benefits' if you are a member of either of these 'major player' US carriers which you obviously prefer and support.

Edited by peteukmcr

I am sure EVERY cruise line that you will look at will tell you the same thing that Royal does in the cruise contract -- that THEY can make any change to the cruise they want and do it at their discretion. We all know when booking a cruise it can happen.

Yup, just happened to me with Carnival's new Vista I was booked for 2016. Just go look at the Vista thread. They ended up canceling two cruises and altering the TA. It wasn't the same reason, but it certainly happens often enough. As a D+ and cruisecritic.com addict, I read about it all the time. I'm sure the OP knows it too, just ticked off it happened to her.

That is disappointing. But I'm confused. You say you were about to book airline reservations on the return when you got the call. But then you talk about airline changes. Most airlines don't allow reservations more than 8 months in advance. I'm just a little confused about all the airline talk when it is really early to book the airline 10+ months in advance. While disappointing I don't understand if you have airline reservations or not and why and how you could book them so far in advance. Even if you did, it's always smart to get insurance. One reason I use choice air and get travel insurance especially on big trips. Sorry you had one leg cancelled.