An open letter to Canadians planning a cruise

MollyFlyer

Don't bring long-sleeved shirts. I made this mistake today, and now realize that nearly half my luggage is filled with stuff I probably won't wear. If you haven't traveled this far South before, it can be easy to assume that it'll be like a Canadian summer -- some warm days, some days a little cool where you'll want a thin long-sleeved shirt or a jacket if the wind gets cold. Don't think like that. Think like that week or two in July or August where it's considered a heat wave. If you want to prepare for what other cruisers refer to as 'cool' nights on the deck, think in terms of when you go to see the Canada Day fireworks and bring a windbreaker. And if you bring jeans? Bring your thinnest pair.

Interesting post. MollyFlyer, Where did you cruise to and from that did not require long sleeves? I live in BC, Canada. I have been on 11 cruises and needed long sleeve garments on all of them but 1. Cruising out of New Orleans to the Caribbean in August the only reason I would have needed long sleeves would have been to cover up my sunburn:o. On most cruises you should pack a sweater and sunblock.For others reading from Canada, in your opinion, where is the best port to cruise from if considering price and convenience from Canada?

I understand what she's trying to say....if you aren't used to a different climate, you can't imagine how different the same season might be elsewhere! So, check weather forecasts for your destination!!! (Unfortunately, back in the day, before computers, checking weather elsewhere was difficult!!) My 1st trip to Florida was in Nov (in the 1970's!)....couldn't imagine that I'd need shorts and tees. Well, I nearly burned up! I brought 1 pair (yes, just 1!) of shorts. It was 85+ during the day. I simply didn't know! It was COLD at home!

So, what she should have said was to check your destination's weather and pack accordingly!

It's amazing how many folks travel "blind", with no idea of the conditions at their destination....be it weather, or whatever!

Edited by cb at sea

So, what she should have said was to check your destination's weather and pack accordingly!

It's amazing how many folks travel "blind", with no idea of the conditions at their destination....be it weather, or whatever!

That's why I can't figure out how people can pack for a cruise weeks or even months before hand........I don't pack for any trip more than 48 hours ahead of time, because I want to know what the weather is going to be like. Usually I pack the night before my flight ;)

I understand what she's trying to say....if you aren't used to a different climate, you can't imagine how different the same season might be elsewhere! So, check weather forecasts for your destination!!! (Unfortunately, back in the day, before computers, checking weather elsewhere was difficult!!) My 1st trip to Florida was in Nov (in the 1970's!)....couldn't imagine that I'd need shorts and tees. Well, I nearly burned up! I brought 1 pair (yes, just 1!) of shorts. It was 85+ during the day. I simply didn't know! It was COLD at home!

So true. Check the normal weather for the area and time of year where you're traveling to, and fine tune what you're bringing within a week or so before you leave.

We've been on a Caribbean cruise (only been on two to that area) in November and the weather was definitely different from where we were leaving from (in Los Angeles) and Florida/Western Caribbean. I knew not to bring jeans as it would be too warm and packed sun dresses, shorts and other light wear.

And it's amazing how many people just assume it's always sunny in Southern California. We do have great weather, but you can be here for a week in winter and only see rain and temps under 65 the whole time. May Grey and June Gloom in spring. And hot weather from late June to early October. But there are many exceptions, so people coming here should keep watching the forecasts, and even then understand it can change in a couple of days (where I live, right now it's still in the 50s at 11am, but the forecast for the next five days or so is highs in the 80s).

Even in Alaska, you'll need to check. If going on a land tour in summer, you can get temps in the 80s.

So you didn't do any advance research on what the normal weather was like in the area you were vacationing in???? Just about any area will have a tourist information site that provides average high and low temps and rainfall for each month. Surely not that many people plan vacations to unfamiliar areas without checking these things out. I'm surprised that the OP would assume that many people aren't smart enough to figure that out. And FWIW, I always pack long sleeves or a wrap for the evenings on board ship. I find the AC on board too chilly.

I'm assuming that the OP was referring to a Caribbean cruise, but simply forgot to include that bit of info, since it would be ridiculous to warn against long sleeves on cruises in some other areas of the world.

Edited by mom says

It appears OP is awaiting her Celebrity Silhouette cruise to the Western Caribbean tomorrow. She posted numerous times in preparation for the trip, including this comment on her Roll Call:

"....also upon arrival I have discovered that my prior comment about not being sure how to pack while surrounded by snow proved to be prophetic. To the extent that I think I could have brought a smaller suitcase. I think I have enough t-shirts but I'm going to need to go shopping if I want to have more than one pair of pants that's suitable for this kind of weather."

OP Molly, I'm sorry you found you did not pack correctly but to address this thread as an open letter to Canadians is somewhat insulting. I understand that you are probably just frustrated, but when you have the Internet at your fingertips, you have information... you absolutely could have and I guess should have known what the weather and temperature was going to be like. I do hope you have time to pick up a few summer items, and you can certainly wear them at home this coming summer. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

So true. Check the normal weather for the area and time of year where you're traveling to' date=' and fine tune what you're bringing within a week or so before you leave.

We've been on a Caribbean cruise (only been on two to that area) in November and the weather was definitely different from where we were leaving from (in Los Angeles) and Florida/Western Caribbean. I knew not to bring jeans as it would be too warm and packed sun dresses, shorts and other light wear.

And it's amazing how many people just assume it's always sunny in Southern California. We do have great weather, but you can be here for a week in winter and only see rain and [b']temps under 65 [/b]the whole time. May Grey and June Gloom in spring. And hot weather from late June to early October. But there are many exceptions, so people coming here should keep watching the forecasts, and even then understand it can change in a couple of days (where I live, right now it's still in the 50s at 11am, but the forecast for the next five days or so is highs in the 80s).

Even in Alaska, you'll need to check. If going on a land tour in summer, you can get temps in the 80s.

OMG - temps under 65!! We are so spoiled in California:)

Ya, I almost had to wear a sweatshirt the other day! I thought about a jacket when it was raining but by the time I found it, the rain had stopped :D.

p.s. I am both American and Canadian and I seem to figure out the weather just fine for whichever country I'm in.

Edited by notentirelynormal

thank-you mcgratru for your words of wisdom directed to me. If you read my post you would note that I live in British Columbia. How would I have ever known Canada was a "huge, huge country" without your help? Let me rephrase. What port city do you prefer to cruise from and why?

So true. Had to have the heavy coat for the morning. :D Right now I'm wearing a sweat shirt and pants...tomorrow maybe shorts.

I'm still a bit confused about the OP after reading Langley Cruisers' post. Did she dress for Canadian weather for her cruise?

I'm still a bit confused about the OP after reading Langley Cruisers' post. Did she dress for Canadian weather for her cruise?

Sounds like she is choked because she has winter on the brain (like a lot of us do, though) and packed all her long-sleeved shirts, and her jeans. Sounds like she is stifling in the heat and is upset at her packing choices.

Don't bring long-sleeved shirts. I made this mistake today, and now realize that nearly half my luggage is filled with stuff I probably won't wear. If you haven't traveled this far South before, it can be easy to assume that it'll be like a Canadian summer -- some warm days, some days a little cool where you'll want a thin long-sleeved shirt or a jacket if the wind gets cold. Don't think like that. Think like that week or two in July or August where it's considered a heat wave. If you want to prepare for what other cruisers refer to as 'cool' nights on the deck, think in terms of when you go to see the Canada Day fireworks and bring a windbreaker. And if you bring jeans? Bring your thinnest pair.

I respectfully disagree. I live in Newfoundland, and I always take a long sleeved T-shirt, jeans, and a sweater even when cruising in the Caribbean. Sometimes I've never needed them and other years I wore them loads of times. It can get chilly in the evenings on deck.

Edited by PatchesJ72
Typo

That's why I can't figure out how people can pack for a cruise weeks or even months before hand........I don't pack for any trip more than 48 hours ahead of time, because I want to know what the weather is going to be like. Usually I pack the night before my flight ;)

It's worse still if you're travelling from England. There are no weather forecasts that can tell you what the weather's going to be two days in advance. (There are plenty that try, but they aren't reliable :rolleyes:.)

As for the OP, I'm glad I'm not Canadian. When I visit the Caribbean or Africa, I always want long sleeves for protection from the sun - it's much easier than sun tan cream. But thanks for the intention behind the post, even if it wasn't quite perfectly expressed. ;)

It's worse still if you're travelling from England. There are no weather forecasts that can tell you what the weather's going to be two days in advance....

That's why you have Internet. :) Use one of these sites:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/world-weather

http://www.wunderground.com/

http://www.intellicast.com/

http://www.weather.com/

There are some locations that the weather is predictable enough to pack months in advance. Hawaii and Tahiti both come to mind.

But unfortunately, all they do is tell you what they think the weather is going to do. I want a site that actually tells you what it's going to do - it's a different thing. :)

But unfortunately, all they do is tell you what they think the weather is going to do. I want a site that actually tells you what it's going to do - it's a different thing. :)

Weather people hate having to do forecasts over 5-7 days. So, "what they think it is going to do" is the best you are going to get. Mother Nature always votes last.

Oh my goodness, really? :D Wow. I think all of us would like that. Personally, I've never let weather come between me and a good time on vacation. Some of our best times have been in torrential downpours.

At least you can plan for what may happen. :)

Well, unless the weather people can actually see the future you are never going to find one. It's an educated prediction. Maybe you can get in touch with Mother Nature and she'll keep you informed. Don't forget Jack Frost too.