Fanny Packs

Retired Man

Are fanny packs still used or are they now a no no?

They have always been a fashion and security no no but I still use one. Wear a small one about the same color as your shirt or shorts and Don't keep anything valuable in it.

When we took our family (kids are 23,26,&27) on a land vacation back East in September, my kids told me no way, under any circumstance was I allowed to wear a fanny pack. I'd never worn one anyway, but I didn't argue....I carried a small backpack instead!! It worked!

When we took our family (kids are 23,26,&27) on a land vacation back East in September, my kids told me no way, under any circumstance was I allowed to wear a fanny pack. I'd never worn one anyway, but I didn't argue....I carried a small backpack instead!! It worked!

The day will never come that my kids would say something like that to me.

I use what is most convient and that would be a fanny pack.

If you don't care about what anyone else says or thinks, I say fanny pack away! Otherwise a backpack works, you can fit more stuff in it. Both make you look like a tourist, however the fanny pack has been the butt of many jokes (pun intended).

Are fanny packs still used or are they now a no no?

it depends who's judging, i say do whatever you want:)

fyi, they do have string type mini-backpacks and a crossbody camera/messenger bag does look stylish and can hold any souvineers too.

Just FYI, I believe "fanny packs" are now called waist packs. When I use one, I wear it so it's on my side, and not over my fanny. I even have one that's waterproof, which is great for canoeing or tubing. It's a lot more convenient than a backpack when you're out on the water.

The day will never come that my kids would say something like that to me.

I use what is most convient and that would be a fanny pack.

My kids can say it if they want....doesn't mean I listen to them. I use a backpack because it is most convenient for me.

They are a no no. I don't care how convenient someone thinks they are, I will never use one. I always carry my backpack in port and keep stuff for my husband and I in it (camera, money, towels, sunscreen, water bottle,etc.). I mean, do what you want, but I personally will NEVER buy or wear a fanny pack. Unless it's on a dare and I am making money by wearing it.

What is so wrong with a fanny pack? I'm not about to lug around a backpack just to carry my passport, ID, cigarettes and money in. Just because it's called a fanny pack doesn't mean you have to wear it in the back. I wear mine in the front so that I can tell if someone is trying to get in to it.

If that puts me on Mr Blackwell's list of worst dressers, who cares.

I use a backpack and the wife takes a break from carrying everything. I have pockets on the sides for water, plenty of space inside for water shoes and towels, camera, some cash, wallet, sunglasses and just about anything else the DW throws at me. Plus, when we hit new towns, we get a keychain from there to add to the growing collection and attach it to the zippers. She calls it "bling", I call it "My reminders of where we have been 'cause the memory isn't so great anymore" keychains.

What is so wrong with a fanny pack? I'm not about to lug around a backpack just to carry my passport, ID, cigarettes and money in. Just because it's called a fanny pack doesn't mean you have to wear it in the back. I wear mine in the front so that I can tell if someone is trying to get in to it.

If that puts me on Mr Blackwell's list of worst dressers, who cares.

So true!! I use one occassionally (at the front or side) and other times a string backpack.

I feel sorry for people so worried about what other's think.

My husband uses ones when we go on vacation. Like another poster said, sometimes backpacks are just too big to carry around your ID, S&S card and $$.

Same with my husband, he started wearing one on vacation when we first got married, and to be perfectly honest, it took me a while to get over it, I used to tease the crap out of him! But now, we are both so old that I just dont care what we look like or what anyone thinks anymore.

I always carry either a small backpack or small bag that goes over my shoulder across my chest. I am usually the one taking the pictures, applying sunscreen and handling the kids snacks, so of course I am the one with the bigger bag, the only thing DH needs a bag for is his id, ss card and a little money. He also wears it in the front so security isnt really an issue. That and the fact that he doesnt like people being too close to him LOL:D

Archived