Water on the ship

pamyla

Hi all, I'll be sailing on Princess in a few days and had a few questions.

I have pills I need to take first thing in the morning, and right before bed, so I wondered 1) can you drink the tap water? 2) What is the best way to ensure that I have water to drink in my room? Can they deliver by room service, or would you recommend I bring some on the ship with me? 3) If I bring water with me, is there a limit to how much?

Thanks!

I have pills I need to take first thing in the morning, and right before bed, so I wondered 1) can you drink the tap water? 2) What is the best way to ensure that I have water to drink in my room? Can they deliver by room service, or would you recommend I bring some on the ship with me? 3) If I bring water with me, is there a limit to how much?

Thanks!

The tap water on the ship is as pure as any bottled water you buy. Most ship water is filtered through a type of reverse osmosis system. happy cruising

We have sailed on Carnival and NCL and water perfectly fine to drink from the tap for taking pills. No need to lug on a bunch of water. If you would feel better, take some of the ice, put it in a water bottle and let it melt.

We bring empty sports bottles and fill them with ice water from the buffet (not from the spout - just pour glasses of water into them). You can then have water in the cabin, by the pool and on excursions.

to pile on .. or explain

most bottled water you buy is your local water purified by 'reverse osmosis' .... spring waters and the like are different {but if you buy 'spring water' it is not as pure as purified water but I digress}

Aquafina and your other local waters supplied by the beverage companies ARE local water run thru reverse osmosis (read the fine print on the label)

Ship water today is usually sea water purified by the same process - in a small number of cases water is still purified by 'distillation' also called an 'evaporator' aka boiling it to steam and then collecting the condensation aka 'distilled water'.

Reverse osmosis is just as pure but can't be called 'distilled' .... it is a process difference . . .

I ask my room attendant to keep my ice filled and at night pour the water out of the bucket to a glass to take my pills, then fill a glass with ice and it is ready for me in the AM, altho the tap water would be fine . . .

I had a hard time keeping plants alive on my ships since the water was so 'pure' ... the plants were not getting the minerals they needed ... I came to steeping some table scraps with ship water . . . and lots of Miracle Grow!

Every good ship Captain has a palm tree on the ship ..... I did 4 SURE

Edited by Capt_BJ

The tap water on the ship is as safe to drink as the water out of your faucet at home. The ships water from the sink faucet is the same water that you will shower/bathe in too.

And, the water from your tap is the same water they cook your food with, make your drinks with and make the ice from....and you WILL need ice...the tap water never, ever "runs cold", so unless you are partial to warm water, ask the cabin attendant for ice 2 times daily!

And, the water from your tap is the same water they cook your food with, make your drinks with and make the ice from....and you WILL need ice...the tap water never, ever "runs cold", so unless you are partial to warm water, ask the cabin attendant for ice 2 times daily!

Per above .... The tap water in your cabin is perfectly safe to drink but does need ice to make it cool. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks!

My husband has to take pills at bedtime and first thing in the morning and he always has used a glass of water from the bathroom sink tap. No problem. If the ice has melted enough he uses that.

Edited by NMLady

On Princess, all cabins have a small refrigerator in them. The cabin steward keeps the ice bucket (stored inside the refrigerator) filled.

You will find a large bottle of water in the fridge, and usually a couple of 16 ounce bottles of water too. Your shipboard account will charged for any of them that you open.

We usually choose to use the big bottle for taking meds, and when it gets empty, just refill it fron the bathroom sink faucet. Since the water from the faucet is safe to drink, IMO, there's no reason to pay for another large bottle of water for daily use for meds.

The water on the ships from the faucets comes from two sources.

1. made by the ship(either through reverse osmosis or distillation)

or 2. purchased from certified sources tested and chlorinated on the ship.

The US CDC sets standards for any cruise ship that embarks stops or ends in a US port and most cruise lines follow these rules no matter where the ship sails(or they have a problem when they enter US waters).

They will add some minerals back in to make the water taste better...and its fine on almost all ships.

While I have never personally experienced this, some people here have reported extra water retention due to residual salt in the desalinated sea water. Whether or not this affects you, I have no idea. There is also no way to know if the water at any given time was purchased ashore or is in fact desalinated sea water, or a mixture of the two. I've never had a problem with the water onboard, but YMMV.:)

Twice on the Jewel of the Seas we had BROWN (!!:eek:) water come out of the tap in the bathroom. We were told that it was due to sediment being stirred up in the water tank when the ship was going through waves. The ship was docked at the time it occurred.

On a cruise on the Zuiderdam in December, the water had such a strong chlorine odor and taste that it was undrinkable. The water in the Lido restaurant tasted better, as did the ice cubes in the room, which tells me those get different treatment.

As a result, we found some Brita water bottles that have a taste/odor filter installed in it. Walmart, around $9 each. Used them on a cruise last month and they worked just fine.

Art

While I have never personally experienced this, some people here have reported extra water retention due to residual salt in the desalinated sea water. Whether or not this affects you, I have no idea. There is also no way to know if the water at any given time was purchased ashore or is in fact desalinated sea water, or a mixture of the two. I've never had a problem with the water onboard, but YMMV.:)

Having worked as a nutritionist in several hospitals, I would expect that this water retention is more a result of all the food one eats while on a cruise. As with most prepared and processed restaurant food, there is more sodium than what you would normally have in meals cooked at home. It's partially because adding sodium enhances the taste of food, and the cruise lines try hard to make their food items as tasteful as possible. Where else do people so often eat restaurant style food that has been prepared for them for so many days in a row?

Edited by PTMary

Having worked as a nutritionist in several hospitals, I would expect that this water retention is more a result of all the food one eats while on a cruise. As with most prepared and processed restaurant food, there is more sodium than what you would normally have in meals cooked at home. It's partially because adding sodium enhances the taste of food, and the cruise lines try hard to make their food items as tasteful as possible. Where else do people so often eat restaurant style food that has been prepared for them for so many days in a row?

C'mon, you know people always want to blame something that they cannot control (the water) instead of what they can control (amount and type of food eaten).

So when they gain weight, it is always the water to blame. :D

I would tend to agree with you as well, as I don't frequent restaurants and processed food that often. I was just restating what others have posted in the past that, all things being equal, they tended to have more water retention drinking ship's tap water versus drinking bottled water.

I have also thought about the popularity of bottled water and some people's "need" for bottled water over tap water. While I have been in some places where the tap water has been questionable, the US government mandates that all municipal water supplies adhere to a minimum quality standard. Note: I do understand and make exception for people who may have well water or in certain cases where due to unusual circumstances, the tap water may be unsafe for some reason. I happen to have some of the purest tap water in the country, and don't feel the need to buy bottled water under most circumstances.

That being said, I feel that some people may just have a psychological "need" for bottled water, but I'm not an expert on water quality, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ships tap water is fine for most. But for some, including us, the high sodium content in it, along with the high salt level of food served on board, causes swelling of hands and feet.

Here is a post explaining why:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28708782

A glass or so won't hurt but if you drink a lot of water, and if you experience the swelling, then try bottled water. You can buy this on board or carry. It on board with you.

Edited by Lsimon