Tipping Private tour guides in St Petersburg

I have contracted with a guide and driver for a three day tour in St Petersburg. The guide has given me a fixed price. I believe the guide is an is an independent contractor - not working for a company. Is it customery to add an additional gratuity? If so, how much (%) is customary?

• 4 weeks later...
I have contracted with a guide and driver for a three day tour in St Petersburg. The guide has given me a fixed price. I believe the guide is an is an independent contractor - not working for a company. Is it customery to add an additional gratuity? If so, how much (%) is customary?

Joe,

We'll be in Russia next week and have arranged for private tours in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I've read that it's customary to tip about 10% of the daily tour cost, depending on service. I assume the tip would be split up between your guide and driver however they see fit. Hope this helps. I found this info. here on Cruise Critic by just typing in "Private Tour Tipping".

GeneO

When pricing out tours some of the guides suggested

10% for the guide & 5% for the driver of the total price pp given on the last day

So if you pay $300 pp for a 2 day tour ...$30pp to the guide & $15pp to the driver

Of course it is up to you if you want to tip more or less than suggested

I would ask the person you have contracted what they suggest

We used SPB tours last month and the suggested tip from the tour is $ 25 pp per day to the tour guide and $ 15 pp to the driver. We tipped accordingly so is $ 160 bucks for the two of us for the two day tour and I think that was reasonable. Our guide told us she is a freelance.

Cruise_alot123,

Thanks for your suggestion. That's in the same ball park as I was expecting to tip. I'm waiting for a reply from the tour company we'll be using, Russian Tour Guides, to see what they suggest. We leave next Tuesday for Moscow.

GeneO

I would also think it would depend on the size of group your with..We did a private 2 day tour just the two of us a guide & driver...The amazing visit they gave us and VIP treatment was well worth a generous gratuity at the end of our visit. A trip of a lifetime.

We have tipped anywhere from nothing to 30% based on the guide. Our average is probably in the 10-15% range.

I would also think it would depend on the size of group your with..We did a private 2 day tour just the two of us a guide & driver...The amazing visit they gave us and VIP treatment was well worth a generous gratuity at the end of our visit. A trip of a lifetime.

Size does matter here if it were just two of us then the tips would be a lot more to make up for the different as if we were in a group of 16. We had a group of 16 so I think the tips were sufficient here for our guide and driver.

Size does matter here if it were just two of us then the tips would be a lot more to make up for the different as if we were in a group of 16. We had a group of 16 so I think the tips were sufficient here for our guide and driver.

Exactly what I was going to say. Smaller private groups should base the 10% guide / 5% driver gratuities on their respective per-person tour fee, not the 16 person group rate fee.

Archived