pool/sun question

I have a small umbrella that attaches to any beach chair. It is small enough that it will easily fit in my suitcase. Does anyone know if these are permitted for use at the pool? I am also trying to assess how annoying it would be for others. The sun is a real problem for me, even with sun screen.

Thanks!

Edited to add that the ship is the Allure.

Edited by jilld1

I have a small umbrella that attaches to any beach chair. It is small enough that it will easily fit in my suitcase. Does anyone know if these are permitted for use at the pool? I am also trying to assess how annoying it would be for others. The sun is a real problem for me, even with sun screen.

Thanks!

I haven't found anything that says you can't. From my research they say if it can fit in your suitcase and make it through security your fine.

I am trying to picture this, and am assuming that it sticks out at least somewhat beyond the "footprint" of the chair to which it is attached.

It would therefore be an annoyance or even hazard to others, either in the next chair or those walking by.

There is not a lot of space around each chair.

Thanks!

Unless you are sailing on the 14th, you will be going to Labadee. Feel free to use your "small umbrella" there without a problem.

:)

Why don't you just sit in a shaded area?

That would be ideal and my first attempt, but my experience is that there are very few shaded areas with lounge chairs that aren't taken by 8:00AM.

I've never been on Allure, but any ship I've been on has had deck chairs that are practically touching side by side. If you attached an umbrella to your chair it most assuredly would interfere with your neighbor.

The only spot I can see this NOT being a problem is a deck area away from the pools, probably up on one of the top decks where you might be able to separate your chair into an open space. The challenge there, however, will be the breeze. An open umbrella not bolted to the deck could easily become a dangerous projectile.

My husband cannot tolerate sitting in the sun for very long, and on any cruise we've ever been on we've always been able to find a spot to sit in the shade. It may not be near the pool, but that's ok with us.

I am trying to picture this, and am assuming that it sticks out at least somewhat beyond the "footprint" of the chair to which it is attached.

It would therefore be an annoyance or even hazard to others, either in the next chair or those walking by.

There is not a lot of space around each chair.

It sounded good initially, but I think you are correct. It could be a hazard. No point in bringing it.

Unless you are sailing on the 14th, you will be going to Labadee. Feel free to use your "small umbrella" there without a problem.

:)

Sailing on the 7th and I can get a big umbrella there! Not worth schlepping it. :D

That would be ideal and my first attempt, but my experience is that there are very few shaded areas with lounge chairs that aren't taken by 8:00AM.

Never had that problem, especially on the mega ships like the Allure. It is usually the poolside, sun worshippers' chairs that go first. Shaded areas in solarium and along the sides of pool deck. Loads of places to sit!

Thanks!

The wind will knock it down real quick.

Sit in the shade and don't make other people try not to knock it and try to walk around it. It's a hazard at that level for kids and adults alike. Why do people continue to try and bring cr@p from home on a cruise I'll never know.

Sit in the shade and don't make other people try not to knock it and try to walk around it. It's a hazard at that level for kids and adults alike. Why do people continue to try and bring cr@p from home on a cruise I'll never know.

I don't know - maybe to make their cruise more enjoyable

Edited by squale2

Being 1/2 vampire but loving the water :cool: I can understand the need for shade. But I think it will either blow away or be annoying and dangerous for people walking around you. People who sit in the sun do not want a umbrella from a neighbor shading you.

IMO you will be better off getting a chair in the shade. Its always the full sun, pool front chairs that people want. I have never had a problem getting a chair in the shade.

Being 1/2 vampire but loving the water :cool: I can understand the need for shade. But I think it will either blow away or be annoying and dangerous for people walking around you. People who sit in the sun do not want a umbrella from a neighbor shading you.

IMO you will be better off getting a chair in the shade. Its always the full sun, pool front chairs that people want. I have never had a problem getting a chair in the shade.

Some folks save both. :eek::eek: