Seabourn cancels Egypt ports, Mar 2015 sailing

shark b8

I'm choked. Egypt was a huge part of this itinerary for us. We knew we were taking a risk when we booked and paid for this cruise due to the general unrest in the area and felt that if a port (or ports) was cancelled during the cruise because of imminent danges or deteriorating conditions we were prepared to take that risk.

This itinerary change so late in the game (within 30 days of the cruise) with no apparent reason is upsetting to say the least. Still don't know what, if any, recourse we may have.

We are booked on this cruise from Singapore to Athens It shows on our itinerary when log in to my seabourn and stops now in Haifa, Kusadasi and MykonosAlso our TA send us an email on it Hope this helps

Thank you. Our cruise departs Dubai on April 8. They have cancelled Egyptian ports and added Jordan and Israel, which I'd have thought are equally challenging.

I am very sympathetic with those cruisers whose Egyptian ports were canceled. I feel your pain as we were in Cairo on a land trip staying at the Intercontinental Hotel next to Tahir Square in January 2011 when the Arab Spring erupted in Egypt. We watched in disbelief from our balcony overlooking the Nile as the peaceful protesters came across the bridge, knelt down to pray and were immediately assaulted by water hoses, rubber bullets and tear gas by hundreds of police.Only two days into our 14 day trip our trip was immediately terminated and we spent two long chaotic, scary days trying to get on any airplane going anywhere. No internet and no cell services. Buildings on fire, gangs or police and protesters roaming the streets, constant sounds of gunfire and clouds of teargas everywhere. What I am trying to say is trust me as bad as the cancellation of ports is , being caught in the middle of an uprising is far worse. I would love to return to Egypt and complete our trip but the situation has remained volatile for the last four years. You could luck out and be there during a period of calm but the point is it is very hard to predict. It really is a case of better safe than sorry. At least you will still be on wonderful Seabourn !

My question is why now?

I would really like to know whether this decision was made as a result of unrest in Egypt a few weeks ago and is therefore a delayed and by now unnecessary reaction, since there does not seem to be much going on at the moment.

My point is you can't wait until there is an outbreak of violence --- once you are caught in the middle of it it is very difficult and dangerous to try to protect tourists. Clearly there is enough concern about the potential for unrest and that was sufficient for Seabourn to play it safe and cancel the ports. Trust me, I really do understand your disappointment and do not believe that Seabourn would make such a decision cavalierly. Sure nothing may happen and a month from now some Monday morning quarterback will say " see they canceled for no reason." But Seabourn , lacking a crystal ball , has to use what ever info they have an make the tough call erring on the side of safety.

However, neither the US State Department nor the UK Foreign Office have upped their threat level warnings which would normally be the precursor. Other major cruise lines are still calling in Egypt and UK tour operators are still selling tours there this month.

What do they know that we don't?

I received this email yesterday (March 6)

This is an automated e-mail notification from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Smartraveller advisory service.

The following Travel Advice has changed or been added since our last update ( 5 Feb 2015 17:58:26 EST):

* Egypt

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Egypt

Current Advice Level: "Reconsider your need to travel"

Change Summary:

Small explosions, resulting in death and injury, continue to occur in Cairo and other parts of Egypt. The level of this advice has not changed. We continue to advise Australians to reconsider their need to travel to Egypt.

Un-subscribe or update your subscription details by logging in to our website at:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/accounts

If you have forgotten your password use the password recovery page at:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/accounts/remindpasswd

Our travel agent just checked with Seabourn and they informed her that a $150/pp onboard credit will be issued in lieu of stopping at the Egypt ports.

The offered compensation is simply a joke. These ports were the absolute centrepiece of this cruise which was officially sold under the title "Egyptian gems".

I was told last week, on the Sojourn, that it costs far less to have a day sailing than a day in port - because of the heavy port fees.

So apart from annoying the punters Seabourn are saving quite a lot of money. Or so I was told...

Tony

I am sure that Seabourn is not in the business of upsetting passengers just to save money on missing ports. In any event they have added alternatives.

When we booked the Odyssey Dubai to Athens trip it was always possible that the Egyption ports would be cancelled and we are more than happy with the substitute ports of Aqaba and the 2 in Israel.

I can understand the disappointment of missing Egypt, especially for the people that booked this particular cruise just to visit Egypt, but safety is the main concern and as long as we transit the Suez Canal in daylight, unlike the recent QM2 trip which went through at night, we shall be happy.

In any event they have added alternatives.

Thanks for explaining that. I am surprised nobody else has mentioned it.

FWIW someone I know went to Sharm last year and said 'never again'. Ruined by Mr Putin's ilk with the same level of taste and manners.

Tony

Fyi

Almost every cruise line has cancelled Egypt. We spent 3 weeks there last February and loved it. We had a private guide and were perfectly safe. The Four Seasons in Sharm is amazing.

Egypt should be visited on a land trip.

Edited by bitob

• 2 weeks later...

We are also on the March/April Sojourn cruise. Whilst I understand Seabourn has to change the ports due to safety, I am upset that we now appears to have an extra sea day! I feel cheated! I think if they change the ports, they should still keep the number of sea days the same. They could have easily add an extra port in India or the middle east or in Greece to make up the difference!

Edited by Portiamac

This is the latest advice from the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office regarding Egypt.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

This is a relevant paragraph:

'The area to which the FCO advise against all but essential travel does not include the tourist areas along the Nile river (eg Luxor, Qina, Aswan, Abu Simbel and the Valley of the Kings) or the Red Sea Resorts of Sharm El Sheikh and Hurghada.'

I have never been to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv so I am looking forward to it. I went to Aqaba, Luxor and Alexandria in 2012 on the Quest. But Petra is always fascinating. Any passenger interested to join a tourbylocals? Since seabourn excursions are so expensive? I am looking for other passengers to join tours to Petra, Jerusalem, and Athens