Hints for someone on first cruise

treasure4two

A friend of mine and her husband and 2 young people in their early 20s and 2 kids between 6-8-the 6 of them are all going on their first cruise.

It is 5 days out of Port Canaveral. I need hints of things for them to do for sure.

I said Camp Carnival for the 6-8.

I said Chef's Table for friend and her husband

I said to do the ship's tour- what is that called and when do you sign up for it?

Hints like that for my friend-I want to help them have a fabulous cruise and fall in love with cruising like we do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

I say do nothing. On your first cruise, just enjoy the ride. Yes have your kids go to Camp Carnival but other then that, just walk around and enjoy your surroundings. It's a cruise. You will figure out what you like as you go!

While I agree that the Chef's Table is phenomenal, I wouldn't recommend it to first timers, specially in their 20's with small children. I think that the best piece of advice would be to relax and NOT try to do it all! Remember that your version of a great cruise may be completely different than theirs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

my first cruise was one of the best. I knew the ship name. What date we were leaving and where we were going.

As a first timer they will be out and about. The only planning to do is what to do in a port

As for the ship stuff. Let them discover it

Something I learned here on CC and will always tell first time cruisers - make you sure unpack and store your luggage under the bed - first day... especially with kids - you need every inch of available space you can get !!

The best advice I got was from these boards when I was told to study the deck plans. It's a bit overwhelming walking on the ship and having no idea where to go or where everything is. If they can get FTTF they should do that. Especially with kids. They can go right to their room and drop off their stuff.

I agree with the above suggestions to let them explore the ship and enjoy the new experience, without feeling like they might blink and miss out on something... I would also be very wary of suggesting many "extra-fee" activities to a brand-new cruiser. They might get the impression that the only way to enjoy a cruise is to *have* to spend a lot of money onboard.

Remember that your version of a great cruise may be completely different than theirs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Indeed ....

We cruised on the Pride for Thanksgiving last year with several family members who were on their 1st cruise. There were so many things that those of us who had cruised before were unhappy about and they couldn't have cared less.

We found that the bottom line was we went as a family (extended - lots of cousins of varying ages) and the most important thing to everyone was being together.

I would also be very wary of suggesting many "extra-fee" activities to a brand-new cruiser. They might get the impression that the only way to enjoy a cruise is to *have* to spend a lot of money onboard.

I'll go so far as to recommend that you advise your friends to avoid any "extra charge" items such as photos, specialty dinners and pricey tours and excursions. If you want your friends to continue cruising, especially with their kids and grandkids, you'll want them to see that cruising can be an inexpensive way to vacation. I've been on several short cruises where I had a great time and didn't spend a dime over the cost of the cruise.

I agree with the posters above don't try to do it all as you can never do it. Check out the deck plans before hand to get an idea of where everything is. Take the kids to camp carnival the first night to their meet and greet.

Order as much as you want in the MDR if you want 2,3, or 4 lobsters they will gladly bring them to you. Or if you want 2 different entrees for that evening go ahead and order them. Desserts too.

Try brunch in the MDR also. Steak and eggs, eggs Benedict and other choices.

You can also get banana splits in the MDR too.

If they are on a roll call here on CC go to the Meet and Greet if they are having one then you will meet a few people who you will see occasionally as you are strolling the ship and can chit chat with. Or at least put faces to the screen names that have been posting.

Take the kids up to putt putt. Take in a movie at night on the Lido. They usually have popcorn.

My wife and daughter love to order room service late at night. Or go up for ice cream at 2 AM or later.

If you want to do the behind the scene tour go directly to the excursion desk when you board and sign up right away. They only take so many guests on this and it fills up fast. Usually around 100$ per person.

They will take lots of pictures of you but don't feel obligated to purchase them unless you really want to. You can look at them all week and decide closer to the end.

If you are only going up or down 1 or 2 levels take the stairs as it is sometimes faster than waiting for the elevator. When you get off of the elevator there will be a picture of the ship on the wall. Whichever way the ship is pointing on that wall is toward the front of the ship.

Hope you have a great time!!!

Edited by bm6pm5

Wow! So much great advise. I definitely agree with not doing a lot of additional cost activities. For the first time cruiser all the inclusive things are enough to make you feel like you are being treated like royalty.

Be sure to bring that power strip.

Be sure to bring all the allowed beverages (for a family of 4 that is 2 cases of soda or water) this saves dollars.

Bring a plastic or metal beverage container with lid for each person. Ice tea, lemonade, juices, milk, coffee, tea are available on the lido for no charge. Who wants to carry it in those little glasses.

Bring detergent sheets for the laundry room. (easy to bring and much less expensive than the machines. I have even brought sandwich bags with detergent.

Bring decorations to put on the door. It is so much easier to find your cabin. (Plus the kids will love making them)

If they are not in a suite and the little ones dislike showers a small blow up pool is great for bath time. And for mom, leave the kids with dad and get ready for dinner in the spa showers. More room and no little ones. Don't rush to get to dinner right on the dot with little ones 5-10min late and they don't have to stand in line.

Let go and do it all. Dance even if you have 2 left feet. Sing even if you can't carry a tune. With exception of the people you came with, you will never see any of these people again. Who cares what they think:)

Bring the best smile you have and share it with everyone.

A friend of mine and her husband and 2 young people in their early 20s and 2 kids between 6-8-the 6 of them are all going on their first cruise.

It is 5 days out of Port Canaveral. I need hints of things for them to do for sure.

I said Camp Carnival for the 6-8.

I said Chef's Table for friend and her husband

I said to do the ship's tour- what is that called and when do you sign up for it?

Hints like that for my friend-I want to help them have a fabulous cruise and fall in love with cruising like we do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

It would be helpful to know what ship & ports so we can comment on amenities,ports & the little things.

I

If you are only going up or down 1 or 2 levels take the stairs as it is sometimes faster than waiting for the elevator. When you get off of the elevator there will be a picture of the ship on the wall. Whichever way the ship is pointing on that wall is toward the front of the ship.

Hope you have a great time!!!

after twelve Carnival cruises, I never knew about the ship thing by elevators and which way is fwd. thanks. I guess my aft/bow is good. Now to recall what side pizza,deli,burgers is on is another thing.

Bring small bills for taxi tips,room service tip (food is free but tip delivery person $1-2) Room service is great.

1.)Main dining room can order multiples and an adult can order off children's menu. Many don't know of the banana split,brownies,jello etc.

2.a portable battery clock to see what time at night as no clock in cabin.

3.)a night light for kids, or turn tv onto the carnival webcam page has time on it and a glow for kiddos.

4.)sealed snacks for off ship - granola bars,candy,pack of pretzels etc. (stuff that won't melt) for kids the breakfast cereal boxes are great. If they favor a certain type say like Fruit Loops grab a few early in cruise as some types run out.

one is not allowed to take good off ship that is not sealed.

5.)no need to pack beach towels - room comes with them, and if left out on bathroom floor will get replaced.

6.)watch slippery floors - lido Buffett area, open deck if wet.

7.)kids must wear a muster wrist band at all times. We found when son younger if allowed to put on his ankle as was more comfortable and better for family photos.

8.bring hair conditioner if need it - none on ship, same with stomache medicines like Tums,Pepto Bismol, if you inquire and just I'll from say over eating they may think you have a contagious virus & quarNtine in cabin. Just plan on packing a moms medical just in case kit- lots of sunscreen,certain ports need DEET Bug spray (preventative as some ports Mosquitos carry diseases. Waterproof band aids, Bonine for motion sickness just in case.

9.if beaching it- sand toys like shovels/pails from Walmart/Dollar store.

10. Put cell phone on airplane mode or off to avoid possible incoming call/text charges. Also do not count on cell being current time,not all auto correct.

11.verify but all times are referred to as ship time, not what time it is in port.

12.omelet station has its own line, and besides Omelets can also make eggs to order, or an egg white omelet.

13.lanyards for kids sign n sail card. They can tuck under shirt to not lose in the wind (seen it happen to adults)

14.sign n sail can have a spending limit set for kids daily for arcade.

15.when refilling personal beverage bottles- use cruise cup to pour into yours for sanitation reason (there is usually a sign asking this)

16.Hot chocolate machine on lido great at night for movies under stars

17.bring an overdo or shoe hanger for more storage of items. Sometimes the couch in room the bottom pulls out for storage depending on the ship.

18. Post it notes to leave messages for cabin steward.

19.Door decorations- try and find command type sticky, or wall friendly - scotch tape stewards not fond of as they have to clean any residue off, same goes for the jelly Clingons.

20.check ship library hours, they have board games available.

I explained it wrong- the parents are 45+- plus two 20's and 2 kids, ages 6 and 8. They are just going to Freeport and Bahamas and the private island. The husband gets bored easily, so the more things to do is better. They have two balconies and an inside, at the front on deck 8 just behind the bridge on the Liberty and it will be over Thanksgiving. They can afford any extras(they are blessed with a wonderful family and jobs) so I want them to at least have ideas of what to do and see. Any suggestions on the ports would be great also. Thank you all for your ideas-love CC people! :D

One tip we've FINALLY learned after six cruises is to take your camera outside at least 15 minutes before you plan to take pictures. The change in temp and humidity from cabin to balcony fogs the lens and a lot of your pics will turn out very hazy if you don't give it time to clear. Wiping it off doesn't seem to solve the problem, you just have to wait until it acclimates to the weather.

Edited by YB Nrml

One tip we've FINALLY learned after six cruises is to take your camera outside at least 15 minutes before you plan to take pictures. The change in temp and humidity from cabin to balcony fogs the lens and a lot of your pics will turn out very hazy if you don't give it time to clear. Wiping it off doesn't seem to solve the problem, you just have to wait until it acclimates to the weather.

Get a good insulated camera case and leave it on the floor instead of the vanity, table or sofa. Cover it with a towel. The camera will be ready as soon as you take it outside

Something I learned here on CC and will always tell first time cruisers - make you sure unpack and store your luggage under the bed - first day... especially with kids - you need every inch of available space you can get !!

It took me several cruises to realize I can store my luggages under the bed. :o

I would not recommend the Behind the Fun tour on a first cruise. It destroys some of the magic.

I would tell the elders(not the 20 somethings with the kids) to have dinner one night in the steak house, but dine in the MDR on the other nights. Especially for the kids, they get a feel for being spoiled by the staff knowing their names, engaging in conversation, and being included in adult behavior. (or not so adult behavior).

As far as what to do when they are in port-give them the Carnival web site regarding excursions. I get a kick out of people who have been to Nassau, gone to Atlantis, and said they have seen it all, and don't want to go back. I have been 4 times and only once did the same thing twice (the Melia beach), got another two trips to Nassau over the next 12 months, and have different things planned. And I still haven't been to Atlantis.;)

You state that they all have good jobs, but people with money always seem to be able to save money, this is their first cruise, you dont want them to think it's all about pay pay pay.

I do disagree about the pictures, here you have three generations, I think having someone take a photo of them on formal night, will make for an absolutely priceless souvenir.

And hey they may be your friends, tell them about some high lights, but never "oh you must". but I would suggest they attend tea.:)

Here are my suggestions in no particular order:

• Take lots of pictures and make a "memory" picture book from the best pictures. It's easy to upload the pictures on line with different companies like Walmart.

• Pose for a least one formal night picture as a group.

• Remember no vacation/cruise is perfect.

• Relax. It's a vacation.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Also, the gym is available.

All adults can use the sauna in the spa.

Mini-golf, ping pong and shuffle board.

And basketball.

There is usually a basketball shooting contest, which would be fun if a whole family entered.

And there may be a chess tournament.

I like to watch the karaoke with a live band.

Plan to arrive early for the comedy shows.

Watch out for the cab drivers in Nassau and Freeport.

Find out about their "ticket" program.

When the photographers come around, you can just shake your head.

Being photographed is not required except for your S&S card.

Some people like the slots tournament.

There is a drink mixing contest.

There is a fee and you need to sign up early.

And there is some kind of live music for tea and it is not just for ladies, men and kids are welcome.

Sailing out of port is a good time to watch for dolphins.

Watch at the bow or in the back along the sides.

Binoculars can be fun.