First timer.....questions. :)

Caroline1178

So our travelling group will be my parents, my sister, my 2 kids (9, 13) and myself. We'll need 3 cabins.

1. Do you need a passport to go on a cruise?

2. What is the best way to find a deal?

3. What cruise line do you prefer and why?

4. My mom is picky about food quality and overall cleanliness....what cruise line would you recommend?

5. What are the most affordable months to go on a cruise?

6. I have absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise at all, but my parents want to take us all, so I'm up for anything. :)

THANK YOU!

First, welcome to Cruise Critic and (hopefully) to cruising!

1. Do you need a passport to go on a cruise? Depends on the cruise. If it is a "closed loop" cruise, no passport is required. If you travel from a foreign port, you certainly need a passport to get to that country!

2. What is the best way to find a deal? Research! Look at Cruise Critic's "Cruise Bargain", check out cruise bookings via the web.

3. What cruise line do you prefer and why? We prefer Carnival since it seems to offer the most for the least. BUT, your favorite is highly dependent on what you want from a cruise! Just like noses, everyone has an opinion of what is best! Look through the CC threads and you'll see exactly what I am talking about!

4. My mom is picky about food quality and overall cleanliness....what cruise line would you recommend? Again, this is a subjective question and you will find someone would recommend every cruise ship as "the best"!

5. What are the most affordable months to go on a cruise? Cruise lines have what is called "wave season" which is the time of year when most cruises are booked and prices seem to be lower than other times. This normally happens during the February-March timeframe. Summer cruises are likely to have a higher number of young children on board, much as spring break. This, again, depends on what you want from your experience.

6. I have absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise at all, but my parents want to take us all, so I'm up for anything. :) Uh...uh...:eek:

Just to expand on the previous answer.

Assuming you are a US citizen, you will not need a passport IF your cruise starts and ends in the same US port. This is known as a closed loop cruise. For any other cruise you would need a passport.

Assuming you are a US citizen, you will not need a passport IF your cruise starts and ends in the same US port. This is known as a closed loop cruise. For any other cruise you would need a passport.

Some lines require a passport for all cruises, even closed loop.

Even if a passport is not required, the OP needs to know that official birth certificates will be required for everyone as well as government photo id (such as drivers license) for the adults. Since the children are younger than 16, no photo id is required.

6. I have absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise at all, but my parents want to take us all, so I'm up for anything. :)

THANK YOU!

I think your questions have been adequately answered so thought I would address this statement. We had absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise, we are independent travelers and don't want anyone to tell us what to do, where to go, how long to stay, etc. However, a few weeks after we quit work (retired) nine years ago, a family member had a cabin that couldn't be used by the people who booked it and we had the opportunity to get the cabin at a good price. So, against our better judgement we did. Said, we will try it this once, we will hate it and never go on another a cruise.

We were surprised to find we absolutely LOVED cruising. The next cruise we booked was a 30 day cruise and we still cruise as often as it makes sense. We still travel independently too, even when cruising, by usually booking our own excursions outside of the cruise ship and just doing our own thing at some ports. Keep an open mind and you may be pleasantly surprised on your cruise.

Since you have school-aged kids, that might narrow down the when you can go. If your kids' schools are in a district that frown upon taking off while school is in session, that will mean summer, winter break, summer break. And even if the district is more laid back, going during those vacation times will mean more kids on board for yours to hang with.

Which cruise line will be more of a subjective thing.

So our travelling group will be my parents, my sister, my 2 kids (9, 13) and myself. We'll need 3 cabins.

4. My mom is picky about food quality and overall cleanliness....what cruise line would you recommend?

THANK YOU!

You clearly need to do a whole bunch of research.

1. Depends upon where you are going

2. Do a lot of WEB research

3. Since I do not know anything about you and your needs and budget, your question is not answerable

4. All will be clean. In general, food taste is a function of cruise cost.

5. Go on off season when nobody else wants to go. However, there may be a reason why nobody else wants to go.

DON

What I have highlighted in red on your post is definitely not totally true. Look up "Closed Loop Cruise" on the internet.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I think your questions have been adequately answered so thought I would address this statement. We had absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise, we are independent travelers and don't want anyone to tell us what to do, where to go, how long to stay, etc. However, a few weeks after we quit work (retired) nine years ago, a family member had a cabin that couldn't be used by the people who booked it and we had the opportunity to get the cabin at a good price. So, against our better judgement we did. Said, we will try it this once, we will hate it and never go on another a cruise.

We were surprised to find we absolutely LOVED cruising. The next cruise we booked was a 30 day cruise and we still cruise as often as it makes sense. We still travel independently too, even when cruising, by usually booking our own excursions outside of the cruise ship and just doing our own thing at some ports. Keep an open mind and you may be pleasantly surprised on your cruise.

This.

You will get some inevitable posts saying you clearly have a terrible, unchangeable attitude and should just stay home rather than making everyone else miserable. But many of us went reluctantly the first time and it all worked out.

My advice, Cruise Critic-specific, is that once you choose a line, only ask your dress code questions on that board. Not on the generic one. The differences from brand to brand are so vast that you'll get nothing but contradictions and arguments.

Edited by cadien

I will definitely research more regarding passports.

We're hoping to go in August and from either New York, New Jersey or Boston. Boston, ideally, which only leaves the Norwegian Dawn. Any feedback on Norwegian or the Dawn specifically?

Is it typically cheaper to book your own excursion instead of through the ship?

I know these were answered, but here are my personal opinions on the questions.

You don't NEED one, but it's preferred you have one just in case there is an emergency. So I suggest getting one just in case.

Find a deal for what? The cruise, excursions? If you book early saver for your cruise, you will get on board credit when/if the price goes down.

Carnival. I've only been on one cruise through them, loved it (I was very terrified to get on the ship), and I have two Carnival cruises booked.

I hear Royal Caribbean has really good food. I don't know personally though. Carnival was very clean when I was there.

We went in the very beginning of December last year, I believe it was like $1500 for us both. This year and next year we are going during October and both prices were about $1500 - $2000 for us both in a balcony room.

6. I have absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise at all, but my parents want to take us all, so I'm up for anything.

They aren't that bad. You have cruisecritic to help you and for you to ask all questions and concerns through. I didn't find cruisecritic until after! I was so nervous to get on the ship, but once I stepped on I didn't want to get off. So just keep an open mind and you will have a blast!!

I will definitely research more regarding passports.

We're hoping to go in August and from either New York, New Jersey or Boston. Boston, ideally, which only leaves the Norwegian Dawn. Any feedback on Norwegian or the Dawn specifically?

Is it typically cheaper to book your own excursion instead of through the ship?

You can get your question about the Dawn answered in the Norwegian Cruise line forum. That the best place to get NCL specific answers.

Yes, private excursions are often much cheaper than those offered through the ship. Once you've booked your cruise, go to the Roll Call Forum section of Cruise Critic, find your ship, then the date for your cruise and read those posts to see if anyone is organizing private tour in any port.

Also check the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic for your ports and you can get ideas for private tours from cruisers who have used them.

THANK YOU!

I think you need to ask yourself a question before others can really answer some of your questions. Specifically, why are you going on a cruise? I know, you said you are only going because you are being dragged along, but why is this group going? Is it so you can have quality time as a family? Is it so each individual will have many new experiences he/she will enjoy? It sounds like your Mom is in charge; is she happy if everyone else is happy? Or must she be satisfied as well? Answers to these questions make it easier to speculate about what sort of cruise experiences might meet your goals.

As a small example of what I mean: I have a couple of cruises planned this year and next. I have been researching options for shore excursions and have been amazed by how cheap excursions are in Panama and how expensive they are in Alaska. If I wanted to minimize cost, I would just go to Panama. But if I want to see glaciers, Panama won't do it for me. Or, if I wanted the cheapest month to cruise, I would go Caribbean at the height of hurricane season. If I wanted good weather to sun by the pool, I would plan on spending more to travel at a time that there will be more demand for the cabins.

I don't think there is a perfect cruising solution, it is all a series of trade offs between cost and convenience and service and activities and comfort and food quality and variety and region and weather and travel costs and... So again, my advice is to figure out first why you are cruising; I.e., what is really important to you. Then you can focus your research on finding which regions sailed by which ships on which itineraries at which times will meet your needs.

The dawn is a perfectly good ship....not the biggest,not the best food but certainly clean......bermuda is a gorgeous island with a lot to do with the kids....I would not hesitate to book it for your family . ....I ask my husband every Monday if he wants to go to bermuda on friday!....for the third time....so far he is making me save my money for Europe next year!....the boat docks for 2 nights which is novel way to cruise....you will have a lot less"homework" with only 1 destination....have a wonderful time planning and being with your family...

I personally would not leave the country without a passport. I always plan for worst case scenario (I've worked at an embassy so I know they happen) and would rather have it and not need it that need it and not have it.

On the passport, I would strongly suggest it. All the lines we've gone with ask for it during the check-in process.

The cruise lines and ships vary so much, it's hard to know where to start! Our favorite is Princess, for an all-around good experience. While food is very subjective, of Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America, I think Princess has the best.

That being said, since you're bringing kids you may prefer Royal Caribbean, which has a lot of onboard activities, such as rock climbing, miniature golf, ice skating, etc.

On the time of year, the most expensive tends to be the school vacation times, but, alas, that won't help you! But whatever trip you choose, keep checking the price--all the way up to when final payment is due--because it can fluctuate madly. And if the price comes down after you've put down the deposit, the cruise line will honor it.

Hope this helps a bit. - Musing About Cruising

I have absolutely NO desire to go on a cruise at all, but my parents want to take us all, so I'm up for anything. :)

THANK YOU!

Your parents want to take you on a cruise so sort of think they may have cruised before.

If so, they may have suggestions or are they leaving everything totally up to you?

LuLu

I thought I'd add to others about your last statement: I didn't want to cruise, but hubby did. I went on our 1st cruise to please him. Was I ever surprised at how much I enjoyed our 1st cruise. We now cruise about once per year because we enjoy it so much.

What makes you think you won't have a great time? In my experience- the food is good, the ports are fun & interesting to explore, the service is unbeatable, the ships have interesting things to do & entertain. We can do as little or as much as we want & hubby doesn't have to drive, get in a hurry. We just get a chance to have fun & relax & enjoy each other's company.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. You found cruise critic, that will help you to get more out of your cruise by asking questions most important to you.

• 5 weeks later...

My experience with group tours was bad. In groups there is always someone who's always late, or dallies about, or just drags their feet. When I asked what in the world do you occupy your time on a cruise with, people basically replied, "Stuff". :(

I so did not want to take that first cruise, but hubby was adamant. I happened across CC and we had an awesome roll call, so I figured I'd just make it through by having fun with them. We took the maiden voyage of a new ship and half the stuff that could go wrong, went wrong. A few things that couldn't possibly go wrong went wrong, too, just for fun. Our Roll Call friends were even more awesome in person, our cabin steward was a champ, and we enjoyed so many new and awesome activities on the ship we've already booked two more cruises! :p

If you are considering the NCL Dawn from Boston, then I would recommend that you consider going on NCL Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda during the summer or the Caribbean during the winter (that is, if you can take the kids out of school for a week). The Breakaway is a huge ship that offers a lot more things for your kids than the Dawn, although the Dawn is still a nice ship. The water slides are fantastic.

Since, if you do leave from NYC, you won't have to pay for airfare, you can use that savings to book some of the specialty restaurants on the ship and excursions in the port. Bermuda is a must-see IMO and offers breathtakingly beautiful beaches, great golf courses, and is absolutely the cleanest island I have ever been to. You won't go wrong with that choice.

As for passports, as others have said, you don't need them since it is a closed-loop cruise, but IMO everyone should have a passport, especially if they are traveling to a place that would normally require one if you were flying. Your kids' passports would be good for 6 years and yours would be good for 10. So, with that taken care of now, you would not have to even think about it when you book your next cruise, which I am sure you will want to do after taking your first one. Who knows, you may even book it while still on this cruise. Just so you know, if you do book a future cruise while on the current cruise, NCL offers OBC for the current cruise. Another plus toward your concern for saving a little money.

Good luck, and please check back to let us know what you have decided to do.

Normally for a first cruise I recommend booking Shore Excursions through the ship, but since it looks like you will end up in Bermuda if you do the Dawn out of Boston, I will say that Bermuda is a great place to explore on your own. You might even get away with not doing an official "Excursion" or "Tour"

The Royal Naval Dockyard where most of the ships are docking now (because it's the only place the really big ones can go) has enough to occupy you for a day or partial day (for example arrival day, looks like the Dawn gets there at 1pm). There is a shopping area there, with tourist shops and crafty things too like glass, art, etc. There is a Snorkel Park there with a small beach. I think there is a Dolphin swim thing there too, as well as the Maritime Museum. There might be more because they were building things there last time I was there a few years ago.

On one of the other 2 days, you can take a cab or bus to one of the many beautiful beaches for the day. Or a bus or ferry over to Hamilton, where there are lots of shops and restaurants and things to see in that town. St George is a nice area too.