Military OBC with Royal Caribbean?

We just called in to see if they offered OBC for anyone who has served in the military. They said it had to be part of the promotion when we booked the cruise. Is this correct? Whenever we book with Princess, it's an automatic $100 OBC with every cruise!!! We scanned in the certificate, and it's automatic with every Princess cruise.

weedhopper...RCI doesn't offer a military OBC for Cruises. They sometimes offer a military discount on selected sailings. RCI applied the military discount on our September 2016 Explorer Cruise. I agree with you concerning the Princess OBC. For me it even goes deeper than the OBC. It's the fact that Princess always recognizes the Veteran.

Yes that is Correct. Very few itineraries actually have a military discount and it often cannot be combined with any sale or C&A discount. In fact, we have noticed that when a cruise we are interested in has one, it is never applicable to suites, which is what we book.

You will notice that I say discount. There is no OBC offered, only a price reduction on the cabin cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes that is Correct. Very few itineraries actually have a military discount and it often cannot be combined with any sale or C&A discount. In fact, we have noticed that when a cruise we are interested in has one, it is never applicable to suites, which is what we book.

You will notice that I say discount. There is no OBC offered, only a price reduction on the cabin cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. The Military Discount on Royal is so rare only got use it 4 times in 29 yrs. Though in Dec I got use it 2 sailings on Serenade with my Diamond Plus discount, cruises were over 50% off. Was lucky as I already was sailing B2B that I ended up B2B2B2B from Oct30-Dec23 2016. We'll see if able to be that lucky again...

Thanks everyone. I agree with DaveKathy.......the OBC is nice, but recognizing and thanking our Veterans for their service is more important.

Every cruise on Royal we have been on has a veterans meeting. As many as 50 have shown up to swap sea stories. One of the Activities staff has run the meeting. That sounds like recognizing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every cruise on Royal we have been on has a veterans meeting. As many as 50 have shown up to swap sea stories. One of the Activities staff has run the meeting. That sounds like recognizing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we attended the Vet meeting on Serenade over Thanksgiving. I am lucky that I put things I did and saw behind me, but many still have issues and the meeting was very moving. Vets still have issues from the past and we hope these will be addressed. We enjoyed the meeting and insight from fellow Vets. Many Vets have again been forgotten.

Yes, we attended the Vet meeting on Serenade over Thanksgiving. I am lucky that I put things I did and saw behind me, but many still have issues and the meeting was very moving. Vets still have issues from the past and we hope these will be addressed. We enjoyed the meeting and insight from fellow Vets. Many Vets have again been forgotten.

"Welcome home". I attended one of (the only one I knew of) the Vet meetings. I met a fellow Vet who was stationed at Da Nang the same time I was stationed there. Small world even though we didn't know each other at that time. He made a bunch of beaded bracelets (that match the Vietnam service medal colors) and handed them out to all the Vietnam Vets. He said he always carries a bunch of the bracelets no matter where he goes and hands them out to all the Vietnam Vets he talks with.

Edited by davekathy

• 7 months later...
We just called in to see if they offered OBC for anyone who has served in the military. They said it had to be part of the promotion when we booked the cruise. Is this correct? Whenever we book with Princess, it's an automatic $100 OBC with every cruise!!! We scanned in the certificate, and it's automatic with every Princess cruise.

Has RCI updated this policy yet? Will OBCs be offered on the Explorer of the Seas TransPacific coming up?

DH is a retired USN reserve Captain and we have never received OBC for his military status. We've only had a military discount once out of all our RCI cruises. We've had discounts on Carnival and on our only Princess cruise, but that's about it.

There have been vet meetings on almost every cruise on RCI that we've been on. Some are attended by a staff member (usually former military) and some are not. DH has been to several. I've been to one or two with him. We've been on GR on Veteran's day and they always call out the veteran's onboard and have them come forward. It's very moving.