Tips to avoid the post Spa treatment sales pitch

messej01

Hi,

I love spa treatments and my hubby encourages me to have a few when we cruise (isn't he wonderful?). Alas towards the end of treatment, relaxation turns to dread as I anticipate the inevitable sales pitch. It seems to occur in the treatment room, so I have no where to escape, also I'm basically naked so a bit of a problem.

In Sydney I go to two spas - one doesn't sell products after treatments and one does the 'sell' in the relaxation room (ha!) which I politely say I don't have time for (big fat lie).

So any tips to avoid this? Can I specify the treatment with no sells pitch? I think I've paid enough for the treatments and I don't want to leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks

I usually do well with "Let me stop you there. I'm not going to buy anything further today, thanks." Said nicely, with a smile, as soon as the spiel starts. If they persist, I drop the smile and repeat the "No." I've never had anyone persist beyond that.

Not sure what people find so hard about saying "No".

I don't think I should have to; after paying $200 for a treatment, in a relaxed state, I don't want to be sold products or timeshare. Did you have any advice or just wasting time?

I don't think I should have to; after paying $200 for a treatment, in a relaxed state, I don't want to be sold products or timeshare. Did you have any advice or just wasting time?

Actually I thought my advice was pretty clear, just say no.

Unless that's too hard for you for some reason, wonder how people get on when they go to McDonalds and they say "Do you want fries with that?"

Seems pretty simple to me if you don't want it say No.

I don't think I should have to; after paying $200 for a treatment, in a relaxed state, I don't want to be sold products

I agree. It's not that I can't say no - I'm very good at dealing with sales pitches in any other situation. But let's face it, even if you say "no" with a smile, there's an underlying tension and the salesperson's whole approach make you feel you're being mean by rejecting their suggestions.

The point is that I've paid a substantial amount to have a relaxing treatment and I don't want to have the effect ruined by having to be sharp with the person who just treated me. And often, you do have to be sharp with them.

I've decided never to have a spa treatment on board again - instead I'll spend the money having a thorough pre-cruise pamper before I go.

Some years back I was on an online spa product website and won a lifetime supply of Elemis. I never need to buy any of those products ever because I can get whatever I want for free anytime I want.

Great come back, nice if it was true.

messej01, I don't think there really is any advice as to how to avoid having the spa employees attempt to sell you extra services or products as that is part of their job. They are trained and required to do so by their employer. And to be clear the spa's and their employees are not part of the cruise line but are a third party contracted company, and as with any other business the more of their product or sevices they can interest their customers in, the better for their success.

As most of the mass market cruise lines use the same few contract companies and you are a repeat cruiser and spa customer, I am certain you are in their data base regarding what services you use through them. The fact that you would be a regular customer who spends a fair amount of money with them to begin with would provide the basis in their mind to try to influence you to spend even more. You have shown your appreciation for what they offer through your repeat business. They would naturally want to expand that with you.

So the comments directed at ways to just say no during your experience with them are sound and intended to help as that really is all you can do. I'm sorry if you haven't recieved the answers you hope to hear but in all fairness the "just say no" advice is the best weapon you have.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When I go in I tell them in the beginning, very nicely, that if there are any products they use that day that I would like to purchase I will let them know. Please do not spoil my spa time with a sales pitch at the end. Works every time.

If they break that rule it is reflected in their tip and with a conversation with their supervisor.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

Oh......oh......may I have a turn in kicking the dog?

Anyway, if it were me I would also just say no but add a thank you.

In addition, I would continue to my treat myself.

I would first approach the desk with a $5.00 bill on the counter and ask the person behind the desk if I may ask a big favor as I slide the $5.00 bill their way.

Then asked to not be bothered about products as your budget allows only for the treatment.

I would thank them and hope for the best.

Just say no.

Not that hard really.

Not as easy as it sounds, Gut. It takes a mental shift from relaxation mode to firm refusal. Many people don't like being confrontational, and it ruins the effect of the treatment.

I avoid the spas onboard or in hotels as a rule, after a couple of bad experiences. Not worth the aggro, and my regular beautician does better treatments at significantly lower prices.

When I go in I tell them in the beginning, very nicely, that if there are any products they use that day that I would like to purchase I will let them know. Please do not spoil my spa time with a sales pitch at the end. Works every time.

If they break that rule it is reflected in their tip and with a conversation with their supervisor.

That sounds like a much better method of handling it.

Probably a method I would use as well, but excluding the conversation with a supervisor. And if they respect the request, their tip should reflect that. Keep in mind part of their evaluation is recognized by the extras they sell.

But it really is just saying no, but in a proactive manner. Basically telling them no by taking away their opportunity to ask.

We have had a couple of sessions in the spa...but stopped because we don't think they are worth the cost. However, on our last I simply told her before we started "I will purchase nothing extra. If there is any sales pitch at all there will be no extra tip." Worked like a charm.

DW and I had a couples massage during a port day. We each had to fill out forms and simply wrote, "Not interested in buying anything else but the massage, no sales pitch please", no issues afterwards.

Edited by JTBCruiser

Probably a method I would use as well, but excluding the conversation with a supervisor. And if they respect the request, their tip should reflect that. Keep in mind part of their evaluation is recognized by the extras they sell.

But it really is just saying no, but in a proactive manner. Basically telling them no by taking away their opportunity to ask.

I realize that selling product is part of their job but if that were your employee would you not want to know that they were disrespecting customer's requests?

I would never threaten the tip in the beginning of a session nor would I bribe.

Great advice. :)

I realize that selling product is part of their job but if that were your employee would you not want to know that they were disrespecting customer's requests?

I would never threaten the tip in the beginning of a session nor would I bribe.

I guess it would depend on the situation and who I spoke with initially. If it was the check in person that I told, and my operator still asked, maybe they didn't get the word. I would indicate that I told the check in person and just tell that I am not interested in additional products or services and if the matter was dropped, let it go at that.

If they were who I talked with initialy and they persisted, then I would advise a supervisor of the situation. But I'm just not the type of person who has a problem saying no.

But I'm just not the type of person who has a problem saying no.

I'm not either. But once I have told you no...STHU. And any person, be they on a ship or not, that cannot meet a simple and easy to understand request I make is not generously rewarded.

If they choose to ignore my request...well, I have the ability to make choices that force them to deal with the consequences of their choice.

Nobody in a service related profession deserves to be blatantly disrespected for no reason...but the fact that they must constantly deal with the public doesn't give them the green light to disrespect me by ignoring what I want, as long as it is reasonable.

Sometimes its hard to say no when you have been raised to be extra polite (darn my Southern roots) however I have learned to say I am not interested and have not had a problem, except once when the Therapist got rude, ruined the whole experience, she lost her tip and got a bad review because of her attitude.

Hi,

I love spa treatments and my hubby encourages me to have a few when we cruise (isn't he wonderful?). Alas towards the end of treatment, relaxation turns to dread as I anticipate the inevitable sales pitch. It seems to occur in the treatment room, so I have no where to escape, also I'm basically naked so a bit of a problem.

In Sydney I go to two spas - one doesn't sell products after treatments and one does the 'sell' in the relaxation room (ha!) which I politely say I don't have time for (big fat lie).

So any tips to avoid this? Can I specify the treatment with no sells pitch? I think I've paid enough for the treatments and I don't want to leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks

on board you are usually dressed and you get it one they come back in to hand you the final bill. only once did I have to remove the auto gratuity because she kept pushing even after I told her both when we first arrived and again at the end that I was NOT interested in the sales pitch and her tip would reflect that.

Most of them are gracious and do not go into the spiel once you tell them that. that almost always nets them another $10-20 on top of the 15%. if they start, then stop once I hold up my hand, they keep the auto gratuity as is but no extra.

that one woman was SO pushy that I actually not only removed the 15% I asked to see her boss and complained about my wishes being ignored. I hinted very strongly that I was not actually willing to pay for the massage at all, but she offered nothing other than a token apology couched in a ' well, this is our policy' speech. it was then that I swore off on board spas forever. now I just get one at home the day before we board.

How about having your hubby write on your buttock in big letters with hopefully washable magic marker that you don't want anything that they are trying to sell you. Or else, have him write "YOU SELL MEANS NO TIP". LOL!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc

messej01...

I see your next cruise is on the Solstice...I had a wonderful massage on that ship last month...hard to believe, but neither the masseuse nor the staff at the check-in desk tried to sell me any products. I guess I got lucky.

Enjoy the treatment.

Susan