Tips to avoid the post Spa treatment sales pitch

messej01

DW and I had a couples massage during a port day. We each had to fill out forms and simply wrote, "Not interested in buying anything else but the massage, no sales pitch please", no issues afterwards.

This.

Write it on the form they make you fill out before the treatment even starts. Its non-confrontational and is clear. I have done it and it worked.

I get that some folks have a hard time saying no. We are all different and those differences should be respected more on CC.

This.

Write it on the form they make you fill out before the treatment even starts. Its non-confrontational and is clear. I have done it and it worked.

I get that some folks have a hard time saying no. We are all different and those differences should be respected more on CC.

Thanks for being a bit more understanding and sharing. I will definitely try your suggestion.

How about having your hubby write on your buttock in big letters with hopefully washable magic marker that you don't want anything that they are trying to sell you. Or else, have him write "YOU SELL MEANS NO TIP". LOL!!

DON

Haha he would love that!

On our last cruise in May on the Liberty of the Seas, I had a wonderful facial. At the end, the therapist showed me the products she had used, but did not actually try to sell me anything. I said pleasantly " no thanks ". End of discussion.

By the way, there is an 18% gratuity automatically added to the bill. I did not tip over that.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When I go in I tell them in the beginning, very nicely, that if there are any products they use that day that I would like to purchase I will let them know.

I wrote something similar on the intake form and haven't had a problem since.

I guess I've been lucky that the spa folks who have provided me with service could sense I wouldn't buy anything. They never asked. I've only had two treatments on cruises--one was a facial I won on embarkation day and the other was a hot stone massage.

Actually I thought my advice was pretty clear, just say no.

Unless that's too hard for you for some reason, wonder how people get on when they go to McDonalds and they say "Do you want fries with that?"

Seems pretty simple to me if you don't want it say No.

McDonalds sells 25 billion individual fries each month.. seems like no one can say no....

from McDonalds weird facts..

Fries are included in every meal, but some people don't buy a meal. There are no fries with breakfast, either. Maybe half of all orders include fries, some with multiplicity, so let's say half an order of fries per order, or about 500 million orders of fries a month.

A small order has 32 fries.[2] An average order has perhaps 50. That makes 25 billion fries per month

I tell them I use a specific competitors products. (Only because I'm lucky enough to get some freebies from a friend who works for a spa company). Usually get a little dejected 'oh' from the masseuse, but no sales pitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always say that I cannot buy or use any products that my dermatologist has not approved of---works every time.

It may work..but they've just used "products" on you that were NOT approved.....oh well!

I would simply say, (if and when they start the sales pitch), No, thanks! I just wanted the service...not the products! Thanks for asking!

DW says 'no thank you'

Works like a charm. Why would one have to give a false excuse for not buying product?

She never ends up buying any of that product she considers to be grossly overpriced let alone carting it home.

Edited by iancal

Hi,

I love spa treatments and my hubby encourages me to have a few when we cruise (isn't he wonderful?). Alas towards the end of treatment, relaxation turns to dread as I anticipate the inevitable sales pitch. It seems to occur in the treatment room, so I have no where to escape, also I'm basically naked so a bit of a problem.

In Sydney I go to two spas - one doesn't sell products after treatments and one does the 'sell' in the relaxation room (ha!) which I politely say I don't have time for (big fat lie).

So any tips to avoid this? Can I specify the treatment with no sells pitch? I think I've paid enough for the treatments and I don't want to leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks

PRINT Out thi message and give itgo tgh spa amanager when you arrive for your appointment or whe4n you mke4 youur qppointment.

messej01...

I see your next cruise is on the Solstice...I had a wonderful massage on that ship last month...hard to believe, but neither the masseuse nor the staff at the check-in desk tried to sell me any products. I guess I got lucky.

Enjoy the treatment.

Susan

That has happened to me as well on occasion. If they start with the "sell" to buy extra products, I just say that this massage, facial, whatever is a treat for me and I really cannot afford any more expense(which is the truth). Most of the personnel accept this. :)

You could always say that you already purchased products at the beginning of cruise. Hopefully if you mention it at the beginning, they will just forget the end of treatment push! As a skin therapist myself, this is usually one of the least fun parts of the job. I offer products as a solution to issues with clients skin. It's a bit different on a cruise ship, I have been told selling determines extra time ashore, etc. not your problem though, as you are there to relax and that's their real job, to make sure it happens!