Do passangers over age 75 have to take off shoes and belt?

dptt

I don't understand this. Passengers 75 or older no longer must remove their shoes at US airports.

Is that considered age discrimination against younger passengers?

A lot of airports don't ask us to remove our shoes anymore but those that do have never exempted him because of his age. This happened recently.

A lot of airports don't ask us to remove our shoes anymore but those that do have never exempted him because of his age. This happened recently.

If he is over 75, they should exempt him. Not doing so would be ignoring the rules and guidelines of the organization they work for.

Not that this would surprise me with TSA... ;)

Ever since my husband turned 75 he "proudly" walks thru with his shoes on.

His trophy wife has to remove hers (she's only 71).

Most of the TSA areas have a sign now that says "If you were born before this date in ______(right now it's 1937, you do not have to remove your shoes."

Maybe they're afraid you'll bend over to take them off and not be able to get back up again. Can't wait til I'm 75.....ha ha:D

Interesting. Maybe they (or some) people don't think people 75 or older can't be politically active or terrorists? In a world where they have strapped bombs to children not sure I agree with that.

And we do live in a world where if you exempt one part of the population for checks then terrorists can and may one day take advantage of that loophole.....

I do know that maybe if they think they are are unfit to remove shoes maybe the same should apply to them retaining a license and driving a car......you can't claim to be unable to do one but perfectly okay to do another thing....:eek:

Interesting. Maybe they (or some) people don't think people 75 or older can't be politically active or terrorists? In a world where they have strapped bombs to children not sure I agree with that.

Every other country I've traveled to, which is many, allows you to keep shoes on. The only one I can't remember about is Canada. But every place from Australia to China to India to Germany and others allowed me, a 28 year old male, to keep my shoes on (and those were all just this year). And that is telling because the shoe bomber was leaving from a country that allows you to keep your shoes on. It appears the vast, vast majority of countries view taking your shoes off as ridiculous and nonsensical.

I don't understand this. Passengers 75 or older no longer must remove their shoes at US airports.

Is that considered age discrimination against younger passengers?

I am a former TWA flight attendant and I think that is a terrible rule-does anyone think that the terrorists would not use their older people to try to take us down? They use their kids, their women, so why not an older person(I am 67, so getting close)?

So you're walking around the dirty floor in bare feet?

Flip flops are sandals - not sure about the 'bare feet' thing?

I personally wouldn't wear flip flops when travelling in case I had to run to make a connection but I see that many people do wear them.

Flip flops are sandals - not sure about the 'bare feet' thing?

I personally wouldn't wear flip flops when travelling in case I had to run to make a connection but I see that many people do wear them.

I've never worn sandals while traveling but my assumption would be that you would still have to take them off for security, which is how I got the "bare foot" thing. You're wandering around the security area, which is always dirty, in bare feet...no thanks.

Time to pose the question again.

Passenger one: Middle Eastern man, aged 32, Jordanian citizen.

Passenger two: White woman, aged 32, six months pregnant, Irish citizen.

Who was carrying the bomb?

Well the 99.99999% chance is that neither is ;)

Sorry to bombard this thread, but one more thing - lest we not forget the whole shoe thing came about because of a 28 year old BRITISH citizen who departed from a FRENCH airport. And yet, I get to keep my shoes on flying out of both London and Paris, but not Kansas City, Pocatello or Green Bay.

At this point I'm surprised the TSA lets us still wear underwear...

Are you talking about the Hindawi Affair? Anne Mary Murphy, of course, had the bomb in her bag, but they were not booked on the same flight. I guess it's ok to kill your fiance and unborn baby, but you want to get home safely.

Ridiculous to think age/sex etc. has anything to do with exclusion from terrorism. Ms. Murphy was picked because she was "less suspcious".

I do know that maybe if they think they are are unfit to remove shoes maybe the same should apply to them retaining a license and driving a car......you can't claim to be unable to do one but perfectly okay to do another thing....:eek:

I have to disagree. My mother still drives (although only during the day and around town by her own choice) but is unable to get her shoes on and off without sitting down. The TSA in their stupidity don't have benches or seats on the inbound side of security for people to do this, making it very difficult for many if not most otherwise healthy and able seniors to be able to safely remove their shoes.

I've never worn sandals while traveling but my assumption would be that you would still have to take them off for security, which is how I got the "bare foot" thing. You're wandering around the security area, which is always dirty, in bare feet...no thanks.

You do. Even cheap, flimsy flip flops. The only people exempt from removing shoes are as follows:

Seniors over 75

Children under something, I can't recall the age and am too lazy to look it up.

Members of TSA PreCheck and similar.

Flight crews, airport workers, TSA, certain DOD and FEMA employees.

US military in uniform traveling on orders wearing the new-ish non-steel toe boots

Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? Yes, it makes a difference as far as terrorist activity.

If this is the bombing attempt I remember it was an El Al flight. During the mandatory interview before boarding the agent felt that her story that she was staying at an expensive hotel in Tel Aviv didn't jibe with the fact that she was carrying only 50 pounds in cash and had no credit cards. He ordered a search of her luggage and the bomb was found concealed in the suitcase lining. Apparently her boyfriend told her to lie to security agents about the hotel. She thought she was staying with his family. She was a main witness against him at the trial. El Al can handle that level of security as it's a pretty small airline. TSA has too many people to screen to get that personal.

I agree that pre-security benches would be a big help.

Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland? Yes, it makes a difference as far as terrorist activity.

Makes no difference, as the woman was apparently unaware she was carrying a bomb.

If this is the bombing attempt I remember it was an El Al flight. During the mandatory interview before boarding the agent felt that her story that she was staying at an expensive hotel in Tel Aviv didn't jibe with the fact that she was carrying only 50 pounds in cash and had no credit cards. He ordered a search of her luggage and the bomb was found concealed in the suitcase lining. Apparently her boyfriend told her to lie to security agents about the hotel. She thought she was staying with his family. She was a main witness against him at the trial. El Al can handle that level of security as it's a pretty small airline.

Ms. Murphy was going to take a flight from LHR-TLV in April 1986. Nezar Hindawi, her fiancé, told her she had to go ahead of him on a different flight, because as an Arab, he had to fly to Jordan, and then travel by land to Israel, where he would meet her at the airport. They were then to marry and honeymoon in Israel. One suspects that Ms. Murphy was not the brightest person to believe this strange story.

Her bag went through the regular security checks, but after a scientific calculator with an electric cable was found, they became suspicious of the bag's heavy weight. There was a bomb hidden under a panel at the bottom.

It was not believed that Ms. Murphy knew the bomb was there; she was not tried for this.

unfortunately age has nothing to do with agility

my 51 year old husband has severe arthritis and if required to remove shoes often has to request a seat to be able to manoevre his footwear back on

his 2 metal hips always set off the metal detectors and has to have further checks-he has no objection to this as too much security is better than not enough

on the other hand his 80 year old father is very fit and active and would probably be the one to help his son back on with his shoes if they went through airport security together!!

Archived