Cruise Line Similar to Norwegian

lmk1226

My husband and I were planning to do Norway on NCL but it became sold out before we were able to book. We are now looking for another line to take this cruise on. We are in our 20's and have cruised NCL 3 times.

The things we like about NCL are:

-being able to wear casual clothes the whole cruise and not feel out of place

-no set dining times

-no assigned seating in the MDR (we prefer tables for 2)

-the entertainment including the nightly productions, game shows, etc.

Are there any other cruise lines that are similar in these aspects or is NCL the only one?

Carnival comes to mind first...it has anytime dining and traditional seating so people can choose. We are a twenty-something married couple too and love Carnival.

Royal Caribbean would also fit the bill but with a larger price tag and you ahve to prepay your tips to have anytime dining.

Edited by Velvetwater

Carnival will not be an option as they are not doing Europe. All of the mass market lines have open seating dining as well as traditional with few exceptions(Disney, the small ships of Princess...). Nice casual clothing will get you into the dining room, or you can eat at the buffet or specialty restaurants. All cruise lines have production shows and other entertainment.

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose your departure port from the top list, or ports you want to visit fromthe second, then the time you have in mind, and it will show you who is sailing from/calling there, and their itineraries. Happy researching. EM

Ah I did not catch the Norway part...doh!

That leaves Royal Caribbean as the best option then, I am sure they go to Norway and the Fjords and their ships are known for entertainment. They did 2 years ago and my 28 year old buddy loved it.

Celebrity and Princess are the next best but always present themselves as more formal but they still attract 20 somethings for some cruises. They both have anytime dining as an option as well and if the price was right I would consider them.

Edited by Velvetwater

My husband and I were planning to do Norway on NCL but it became sold out before we were able to book. We are now looking for another line to take this cruise on. We are in our 20's and have cruised NCL 3 times.

-no set dining times

Are there any other cruise lines that are similar in these aspects or is NCL the only one?

I don't know if it does Norway, but take a look at the Oceania itineraries.

I know Oceania is expensive but their specialty restaurants are included in the fare, no up charge, just limit on number of times you can eat in each so that all passengers have the opportunity.

There are no formal nights. Carnival, Royal Caribbean etc might have anytime dining but they still have formal nights.

Dinner in Oceania is all "anytime dining". Just like land restaurants you choose whatever time during hours the restaurant is open. No problem getting a table for two.

Entertainment is similar to what is offered on NCL although offhand I don't remember game shows.

Edited by NMLady

I don't know if it does Norway, but take a look at the Oceania itineraries.

I know Oceania is expensive but their specialty restaurants are included in the fare, no up charge, just limit on number of times you can eat in each so that all passengers have the opportunity.

There are no formal nights. Carnival, Royal Caribbean etc might have anytime dining but they still have formal nights.

Dinner in Oceania is all "anytime dining". Just like land restaurants you choose whatever time during hours the restaurant is open. No problem getting a table for two.

Entertainment is similar to what is offered on NCL although offhand I don't remember game shows.

O is now in the same family as NCL, albeit still a far better experience. Don't forget the "free" airfare or $credit if you do your own. Everything you want and nothing you don't want. You get what you pay for.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

O is now in the sane family as NCL, albeit still a far better experience. Don't forget the "free" airfare or $credit if you do your own.

On September 2, 2014, Norwegian Cruise Line purchased Prestige Cruise Holdings, the parent company of Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, for $3.025 billion.

UK line Tompson, though I'm not sure if they do the Norwegian fjords.

Disney and RC are the only other lines that quickly come to mind.

Sorry, but I'll disagree about Thomson. Smaller, older ships & fairly basic entertainment. Limited dining options & in MDR dress is smart/casual plus one or two formal evenings which are observed far more than on RCI.

Friendly little old tubs, I like them - but can't equate them to NCL.

JB :)

-no set dining times

I would agree with the person who said Royal Caribbean. I've seen other cruise lines mentioned and many will either have much higher prices and not have people in your age group. RCL does a Norwegian Fjords cruise out of Copenhagen, which is also a great port. It looks like Serenade of the Seas does that. I can't tell you much about that ship. I would advise asking on the RCL boards or even looking at roll calls of people doing that itinerary now.

I think you may find Princess a good fit for you. They have relaxed their dress codes to be similar to NCL. They still show formal on some nights, but they allow dress shirt and slacks for men. The other nights are resort casual same as NCL.

The entertainment will vary by ship.

Dining can be either assigned or as you wish.

Edited by swedish weave

What is puzzling me, is that the OP said the Norway cruise sold out. but I went all over the NCL website and could not find an NCL ship visiting Norway. Only one doing the Baltic, that does not visit any ports in Norway. EM

What is puzzling me, is that the OP said the Norway cruise sold out. but I went all over the NCL website and could not find an NCL ship visiting Norway. Only one doing the Baltic, that does not visit any ports in Norway. EM

The Norwegian Star is doing a 7 night Norwegian Fjord cruise in May and June. Only 1 sailing each month. Looks like everything but some balconies and suites are sold out.

Edited by vjblk

Thanks everyone! We ended up booking the May NCL Norwegian Fjords. We didn't think we could plan the trip that quickly but decided just to go for it. We have been considering RCI and Princess for a while, we might try one of them for our next cruise. I also didn't realize Oceania has offers that include airfare, that makes the prices much better. I'm going to have to research them more.