British Air vs. Virgin Atlantic to London

psygist

Any comments or preferences on which airline is better for flights from the US to London?

Thanks.

Daughter flies to London a lot..usually buys whatever ticket cost less,but likes Virgin better than BA.When I fly to London I would do Virgin over BA anyday and I upgrade ticket to Economy Plus and it is worth every penny IMHO.

There's actually not much between them. Both are quality outfits, but both also suffer from having their main hubs at Heathrow.

Virgin's cabin crew tend to be younger and less experienced. Morale there has suffered quite a bit over the last couple of years. BA cabin crew morale is pretty good at the moment, despite the hiccup earlier in the year. But BA is - as others have noted - deliberately more formal in its approach; if you want party girls serving you, then you're more likely to find them on Virgin.

Onboard cabin service is pretty comparable on the two airlines. Both airlines are now fitting audio-video on demand, but I don't know which airline will complete this first. (BA's project will be complete by May 2008.) Nevertheless, even on the aircraft that have not yet been refitted, there is individual seatback TV for everyone.

Don't be taken in by the urban legends about lost baggage and such like. It was bad for BA over the summer, but that made the headlines only because they were upfront and honest about it to their trade association. Virgin (and bmi) concealed their figures by the simple expedient of refusing to report them, and it is unlikely that they were doing any better than BA. Current reports here and elsewhere are that BA baggage handling is now fine, but it sounds like bmi is still struggling, and Virgin still has a prominent "delayed baggage information" page on the front of its website.

Baggage allowances are stricter on Virgin than they are on BA - at least at the moment. Across the Atlantic in economy, BA passengers can currently still bring 2 bags at 32 kg each (although you have to read the website small print to find this out). Virgin's allowance is 2 bags at 23 kg each, according to its website; I don't know how generous they are with small excesses.

Cabin baggage restrictions are likewise stricter on Virgin than on BA. Virgin allows economy passengers one bag, max 6 kg, max size 56 x 36 x 23 cm. BA allows one bag, max size 56 x 45 x 25 cm, no weight restriction other than you must personally be able to lift it into the overhead locker. In either case, the airline will allow a "personal item" in addition. (But some airports - particularly UK airports - will not allow the extra personal item through the security checkpoint. This is airport, not an airline, restriction.)

Virgin's punctuality has been rather worse than BA's recently. But it's not particularly good for either airline, because so many of their flights start or finish at Heathrow.

However, the bottom line is that these are picky points. Either is fine, and either is streets ahead of any of the US carriers.

Both airlines are now fitting audio-video on demand ...
For what it's worth, I've found the page that lists which entertainment system is fitted to which aircraft. Between that, and the page that gives details of which aircraft has been recorded as operating which routes on which dates, you may be able to get an idea of your chances of getting the audio-video on demand equipment.

Any comments or preferences on which airline is better for flights from the US to London?

Thanks.

Not sure why you are limiting choice to only two airlines, and why not a US carrier; we always use US airlines where possible but that's because British airlines have only limited services from regional airports. Whichever one you choose just try to avoid Heathrow which is the pits and where most lost baggage occurs.

... why not a US carrier ...
Maybe psygist thinks the same way as me: I'd rather walk!

And I don't think that there is much trans-Atlantic service direct to London by other non-US airlines at the moment. bmi has a handful of routes, but not to London. And it's otherwise charters, which are fraught with problems. psygist did say that London was the destination.

Maybe psygist thinks the same way as me: I'd rather walk!

And I don't think that there is much trans-Atlantic service direct to London by other non-US airlines at the moment. bmi has a handful of routes, but not to London. And it's otherwise charters, which are fraught with problems. psygist did say that London was the destination.

We have used both Continental & US Airways from Manchester in the last 6 months and could not fault them, except that they charge for Alcohol which at least keeps the drunkards down. Maybe it's the Heathrow malaise that affects the US cabin crews, but fortunately it's not the only London airport and, as we are only a small Island, most regional airports could be used by US tourists followed by a quick train trip into the very centre of London.

FWIW, Business Traveller magazine has recently provided the latest of this year's travel awards. Although it's UK-based and is therefore likely to have a bias towards travel that involves the UK, that would make it relevant to the OP's question.

The result seems to be that it's much of a muchness as between BA and VS.

Business Traveller Awards 2007

Carriers

Best Airline

1 British Airways

2 Virgin Atlantic

3 Qatar Airways

4 Singapore Airlines

5 Swiss

Best Long Haul Airline

1 Singapore Airlines

2 British Airways

3 Qatar Airways

4 Virgin Atlantic

Best Frequent Flyer Programme

1 British Airways Executive Club

2 Lufthansa Miles & More

3 Air France/KLM Flying Blue

4 bmi Diamond Club

Best First Class

1 Singapore Airlines

2 British Airways

3 Cathay Pacific

4 Emirates

Best Business Class

1 Virgin Atlantic

2 British Airways

3 Air New Zealand/Singapore Airlines

4 Cathay Pacific

Best Premium Economy Class

1 Virgin Atlantic

2 British Airways

3 Air New Zealand

4 SAS

Best Economy Class

1 British Airways

2 Singapore Airlines

3 Virgin Atlantic

4 Emirates

Best North American Airline

1 American Airlines

2 United Airlines

3 Continental Airlines

4 Delta

Best Cabin Staff

1 Singapore Airlines

2 Virgin Atlantic

3 Cathay Pacific

4 British Airways

Thanks for all the responses. I have narrowed it down to BA or VA mainly due to flight schedules. I want a nonstop flight, with the return leaving in the afternoon due to returning from a cruise, and only these two airlines can meet my criteria. I have flown BA twice before and haven't really had any problems. I have heard some good things about Virgin and thought I'd consider them this time as the schedules and airfare are about the same.

Interestingly, while Heathrow or BA never lost my luggage on previous trips, luggage handlers did manage to damage a piece of luggage (small rip) and they gave me a replacement piece, no questions asked, that was much better quality than the piece they ripped.

And Globaliser is correct... these days with US airlines.... I'd rather walk!

Thanks.

My favorite is Virgin Atlantic. They are the bestest! However, I usually fly with British Airways (LAX-LHR) as they are cheaper.

I know that alot of people don't like BA, but I've never had problems with them. I would fly with BA over the American airlines (American, United, Delta) because, well, US airlines suck. The flight attendants are rude and the food is atrocious. In my experience the big European carriers (Virgin, British Air, Air France, Lufthansa, and KLM) have better customer service onboard.

I am flying Chicago to London on VS40 on 10/26. Can anyone tell me what is in the in-flight ammenity pack they give you? Also, is it true that drinks are free?

Thanks in advance!

In Upper Class you get a pack with flight socks, eye mask and various other bits and pieces.

Last time I flew they were out of the Upper Class ones, so I was given a premium economy one - and can't recall much difference, other than colours.

No idea about economy. Never done a transatlantic economy.

Drinks are free in Upper Class.

Suggest you take a peek at their website.

Matthew

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/02/nfly102.xml

Here is an article to provide you with some information.

This story gained very wide publicity during the summer.

But to put this article in perspective, the reason that BA's figures are known is because they were reported to the Association of European Airlines, of which BA is a member.

Virgin (and bmi) are also members of the association, but simply refused to provide their figures to the AEA. It is unlikely that this was because their lost baggage performance is substantially better than BA's.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer VS over BA from my gateway. VS arrives at T3.. BA at T4. At

T3 it is easier to navigate to connections into London.

Also do check the type of equipment each flight is offering. Many change equipment depending upon the time of year.

Archived