Booked on Muse But Cruise We Booked is No Longer On Website!

Carol From California

We booked a 13 day cruise on the Muse for 2018, March 9 embarkation, Lima to Ft. Lauderdale, cruise #6805. We decided to book this cruise because we booked a private week's tour in Lima/Machu Picchu preceding the cruise and after touring the region we thought it would be relaxing to get on the ship in Lima and cruise through the Panama Canal and it would give us a chance to try out the new ship. We liked the fact that there were a lot of "at sea" days. We just made final payment about a week ago! Yesterday I looked at the Silversea website and the cruise we booked (#6805) has been replaced with a different itinerary, Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale, a 9 day cruise, no longer starting in Lima and no longer going through the Panama Canal. Cruise #6805 and the cruise before it (#6804) are both WAIT-LISTED. Did they find a private group to book these two cruises and change the itineraries? When I log in to the website under "My Silversea" it shows I am booked on the March 13, 9 day voyage. Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? Surprised that they did it in the first place and then to not even have the courtesy to notify us....and to collect final payment from us about a week ago is pretty shocking! My travel agent will be calling them tomorrow.

Sorry to read of the dissapointment.

This sadly isn't the first time reported on CC that shortly after collecting final payments SS appears to significantly change a cruise and doesn't bother to tell existing customers before they find it out by accident for themselves.

When I look at #6805 on line it has an image of the original route, but a schedule for the new one. Perhaps they can't decide.

Jeff

The final payment spoken about here was the February 28 deadline to receive a 10% discount on the trip. I also took advantage of the program however you have until November, 2017 to cancel with a full refund.

It is good that you can cancel and receive a refund.

It is however bad that they take the full payment for a 13 day cruise when they will only be delivering a 9 day cruise that they have yet to break the bad news to you about.

They should imho contact you, tell you about the changes and ask whether you wish to proceed with the new changed cruise or whether you prefer to cancel, or take advantage of any alternative offer and compensation they might offer. Taking the cash for something they have no intention of delivering is unacceptable imho. This timing is intended to give them the best odds of retaining bookings whilst sacrificing service and it's reputation to it's loyal customers.

Jeff

This happened to us very recently and I was livid. We had made extensive pre- and post- cruise plans which would have been ruined. Fortunately, Silversea did not contract for the charter after all and our voyage was put back on the board. Had it not, I would have sought significant compensation (such as a complementary cruise, as was offered to a close friend by Seabourn under identical circumstances), or never sail with Silversea again.

Where is your TA in all this? He/she should have been informed and should now insist on appropriate compensation including any nonrefundable expenses associated with this itinerary change.

I spoke with someone at Silversea yesterday and I also spoke with my TA. They will refund 100% of what I paid, but they are waiting to sort out the itinerary change, which they say will definitely be changed. The person at Silversea said they may offer me some other discount to switch to a different cruise so I should wait and see. Of course this totally spoils our plans. As I mentioned in my original post, I booked a week land tour in Machu Picchu and Lima with hotels and private guide, and the cruise was going to be our relaxation after the intense week of touring, to depart from Lima and end up in Florida. There is no other itinerary that will solve the problem. I will give them a few days to sort it out. The payment was just put on my Am Ex card so it is not due yet and I can always dispute it.

This happened to us very recently and I was livid. We had made extensive pre- and post- cruise plans which would have been ruined. Fortunately, Silversea did not contract for the charter after all and our voyage was put back on the board. Had it not, I would have sought significant compensation (such as a complementary cruise, as was offered to a close friend by Seabourn under identical circumstances), or never sail with Silversea again.

Like you we have made intense plans pre-cruise which will be ruined. Unlike you however, I don't think our cruise is going to be reinstated.

I spoke with someone at Silversea yesterday and I also spoke with my TA. They will refund 100% of what I paid, but they are waiting to sort out the itinerary change, which they say will definitely be changed. The person at Silversea said they may offer me some other discount to switch to a different cruise so I should wait and see. Of course this totally spoils our plans. As I mentioned in my original post, I booked a week land tour in Machu Picchu and Lima with hotels and private guide, and the cruise was going to be our relaxation after the intense week of touring, to depart from Lima and end up in Florida. There is no other itinerary that will solve the problem. I will give them a few days to sort it out. The payment was just put on my Am Ex card so it is not due yet and I can always dispute it.

Thanks for the update. We had this cruise as an option and I was researching how we might include Manchu Picchu. The Manchu Picchu option and a full transit of the Panama Canal are on our bucket list and were two of the big drawing points of this itinerary. :(

• 1 month later...
I thought I would post what happened with this abrupt itinerary change and cruise cancellation....NOTHING. Never received an apology or offer from Silversea. it's been over a month. Surely does not make me feel very good about cruising with them again. :-(

Hi Carol,

This is perplexing as you'd think that responses to this type of issue would have a well rehearsed customer recovery process. You've possibly decided not to pursue this any more but have you considered a personal email to a senior exec? There are a few in the US that pop up if you google.

It's just sort of puzzling and intriguing that they don't seem concerned and an answer might be interesting.

Thanks for posting the "update" and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
My travel agent never received a response. I found another thread on here with an email address for a senior executive so I have just sent an email. It is surprising that I never received an apology or any offer for a future cruise.

Yes, that would have been on a thread I posted a short while ago for similar reasons, that they weren't responding. (Not a cruise change like yours.)

Hope you get some satisfaction, but it sounds like they've fobbed you off an think its the end of it. If they've promised you something as compensation, then they should jolly well do what they'd said.

Have you tried posting on their face book page? Might be worth a try.... though they might just block you. But if they do, it suggests this is not lazyness but contempt.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Carol,

Just hot linked this thread in an email, and sent it to the US top Manger for SS, Mark Conroy and SS Guest Relations Mgr, Frank Sansone suggesting they try to make Bruce and you whole. Also, let the owner (cc'd this email) of our Travel Agency know too.

Hope this helps your vigilant persistence, pls keep us posted.

best, Wes

Hi Carol,

Just hot linked this thread in an email, and sent it to the US top Manger for SS, Mark Conroy and SS Guest Relations Mgr, Frank Sansone suggesting they try to make Bruce and you whole. Also, let the owner (cc'd this email) of our Travel Agency know too.

Hope this helps your vigilant persistence, pls keep us posted.

best, Wes

Hi Wes,

The owner of the travel agency (same travel agency as you use) never got a response from Silversea so that is why I sent an email today. It's been several months and they are just ignoring this. Thanks for your help with this.

Carol