Pictures...

Beach4me

Kind of a strange question but thought I'd ask anyway. ;)

Has anyone NOT taken a lot of pics on their Alaskan cruise?

I'm thinking about limiting the number of pics to mostly family pictures - and not a whole lot of those. I've seen recent posts about people taking over 1000 pics in Glacier Bay alone. :eek:

I'm considering just enjoying the moment and not worrying about trying to "get the shot".

If you didn't take a lot of pics, were you sorry when you got home?

I like your thinking, because over-shooting is as bad as not shooting any photos at all. Too many photos are hard to manage and usually repetitive. You could take an old-school approach and allow yourself maybe the digital equivalent of two or three "rolls" of 35 mm film, at 24 exposures each. I think it's also important to give yourself permission to enjoy the moment. I am going to do the same on our upcoming Alaska cruise!

I've never taken a lot of pictures when in Alaska. And when I get home, I enjoy the ones I took, and don't regret the ones I didn't take. I find a camera gets in the way of enjoying the experience/the moment. Others may feel differently.

Glad to see that others are thinking along the same lines.

I like the "old school 35mm roll" approach. Good idea! I'm definitely going to limit the pics - and maximize the experience. :)

I take a lot of photos, and I don't regret one minute of it. Sitting at home after the cruise and selecting the best photos to then place in an album allows me to relive the cruise.

I usually make a large hardback photo books of every cruise we take and the best way to ensure that I have enough good material to fill it is by taking as many photos as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got home last night, took over 1300 pictures. Will be puttin them in photo albums soon. Really can't wait to go back, so maybe....

There's a person on the boards who took almost that many in Glacier Bay on one day! :)

So, you averaged about 200 a day. Hmmm. It will be interesting to see how many I take.

Have fun reviewing your pics! (And post some of your best!)

Depends on why you are taking pictures. When going to a new place, I take a lot of pictures, but not many include me. The pictures are to remind us of where we have been. But I have a friend who has traveled a lot also. she and her husband did a HAL cruise to the eastern Med. I was anxious to see her pictures...and they were all of one or both of them in front of a rock wall or ruins...No indication of where they were taken. To each his own. EM

Family pictures only (ok- one whale picture) and never a moments regret. I have been going over boxes of billions of trip pictures and really the only ones of interest have been the family. I can't tell you how many thousands I have tossed- convinced that the fewer the better unless you enjoy photography qua photography.

I take a couple hundred photos per cruise, but nearly half of those are food photos. :o

My first husband was one of those guys who would take thousands of photos, but I would never see them. He'd say he hadn't had time to sort through them, blah blah blah. I still have never seen photos of many events in my children's lives. They are probably sitting around on a memory card somewhere.

Personally, I'd rather take a few very memorable photos than thousands of photos that nobody ever gets to see.

Because I do a daily blog I try not to overdue it when it comes to photos.

There are some places that I will take some additional ones if I am taking photos of scenery, wildlife etc but not so much.

Also there are times the you need to put the camera down to take it all in through your eyes.

Keith

The first time I went to Alaska I took over 4000 in the 2 weeks I was away. I absolutely loved spending hours once I was home looking at them all again and selecting which ones to keep. When I go next year I will probably do the same as that will be the last time I will ever go and I want to be able to look back at the memories I made and not say 'oh the scenery was stunning but I didn't take a photo of it'. When I'm taking pictures like that, I'm stopping to take it in personally, enjoying the moment and then capturing the memory.

Take as many or as few or none as you want. Are the pictures for your pleasure & viewing or do you want to show family & friends were you've been? I do a DVD after I get home so I can enjoy the cruise again after we get home. To each their own.

Allan

Family pictures only (ok- one whale picture) and never a moments regret. I have been going over boxes of billions of trip pictures and really the only ones of interest have been the family. I can't tell you how many thousands I have tossed- convinced that the fewer the better unless you enjoy photography qua photography.

Yes! You said it perfectly...for me. This is the approach I'm going to take - including the never a moments regret.

Totally enjoy taking pictures, especially of scenery. I would say I'll average 50 per day on the cruise since there are a lot of ports involved. One day I'll be too old to remember the trip clearly and these photos might help, plus it's something to share with the grandchildren.