Let's talk EDGE - what are your first impressions?

russg140

I'm just quoting the FAQ Celebrity has published....I can't imagine a specialty restaurant that doesn't serve hot food. It's not computing to me. Not trying to make fun at all. Sorry.

No problem. I come here, and to Celebrity's site, and to other places on the web, to try to get a fuller picture of what the amenities will be, how they will be offered, and who will be able to enjoy them. Until the ship is sailing and people post here what they have experienced, we have to be careful about what we read, and what we repeat - me included. ;)

I do agree with you that a specialty restaurant without hot food does sound a bit strange. But where would that hot food come from on deck 16? There doesn't seem to be any heating appliances on the MC, and I can't think of a food service source that might be in that area that would be preparing specialty restaurant quality hot food. Unless it's something like a Sushi restaurant similar to Sushi on Five on other ships.

Until Celebrity shares more information, it's a mystery to me!

Remember when Luminae was first announced with the promise that it would service breakfast, lunch and dinner every day? And then all the confusion when reports came in that there was no lunch? And then it turned out they meant lunch on every Sea Day? -- EVERYTHING about Edge seems to be a similar work in progress.

I thought on 16 it was going to be a club/bar with a DJ and a restaurant while on deck 5.

Here is what I copied from another thread on Edge. The original poster said it is from Celebrity's Edge FAQ page:

39. WHICH DECKS DOES THE MAGIC CARPET VISIT AND WHEN?

• This spectacular space repositions to several decks and transforms into a new and exciting venue depending on which deck it is positioned.

• When the Magic Carpet is positioned above the pool deck on Deck 16, it becomes the ultimate specialty restaurant high in the sky where mouthwatering experiences such as "Dinner on the Edge" are hosted for guests. Get ready for a unique, al fresco culinary journey under the stars that’s sure to satisfy the senses and sense of wonder all at the same time.

• When on Deck 14, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the expansive relaxing main pool area, the perfect place for breathtaking views, tantalizing libations, and live music.

• When on Deck 5, Magic Carpet extends the ship’s restaurants into the most amazing al fresco seating imaginable for close to 100 guests. Here it creates an intimate, open-air dining experience that will make the fresh ocean fare taste even fresher.

• On Deck 2, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the Destination Gateway, a new area that becomes a luxury embarkation station.

Here is what I copied from another thread on Edge. The original poster said it is from Celebrity's Edge FAQ page:

39. WHICH DECKS DOES THE MAGIC CARPET VISIT AND WHEN?

• This spectacular space repositions to several decks and transforms into a new and exciting venue depending on which deck it is positioned.

• When the Magic Carpet is positioned above the pool deck on Deck 16, it becomes the ultimate specialty restaurant high in the sky where mouthwatering experiences such as "Dinner on the Edge" are hosted for guests. Get ready for a unique, al fresco culinary journey under the stars that’s sure to satisfy the senses and sense of wonder all at the same time.

• When on Deck 14, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the expansive relaxing main pool area, the perfect place for breathtaking views, tantalizing libations, and live music.

• When on Deck 5, Magic Carpet extends the ship’s restaurants into the most amazing al fresco seating imaginable for close to 100 guests. Here it creates an intimate, open-air dining experience that will make the fresh ocean fare taste even fresher.

• On Deck 2, Magic Carpet becomes an extension of the Destination Gateway, a new area that becomes a luxury embarkation station.

Here's another version that mentions restaurants on 16

That's the Magic Carpet, a new public space that will serve different purposes at different times of the day. When it's positioned on Deck 2, it's a stylish disembarkation point. On Deck 5, it becomes a lunch spot with wraparound views. Up on Deck 14, it's an extension to the pool area, sometimes with a DJ. (Think of it as a pool party that comes and goes, explained Lutoff-Perlo.) And in the evenings, the Magic Carpet will anchor at Deck 16, where it'll become a fine dining restaurant that's cantilevered over the sea.

I keep coming back to the as-yet-unclear idea of a specialty restaurant cantilevered from the upper deck. There's no kitchen on any deck plans or drawings. There's no kitchen nearby they can piggyback off of. And aren't all good service areas required to have hand washing stations for the staff? How do you get running water there? Finally, there wouldn't be any interior access to that space when it's hanging up there so if it's raining, everyone has to run outside to get to and from that restaurant? I just can't wrap my head around it.

I know they mentioned extra storage, but where is it? Perhaps the drawings are incomplete, but from what I can see, there is less storage than S-class since the over the bed storage is gone. At least the end tables seem to have a drawer but where is the rest?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was wondering the same thing. I only see 2 closet doors. No drawers or cabinets in the bathrooms, and a desk. Are there drawers under the bed? Where would you put your things on a cruise longer than 7 days, especially in cooler locations?

We were also told today by a large online cruise agency not to be named, but books ALOT of Celebrity that neither Concierge nor Aqua class will have the infinite balconies either. Seems very strange to me. I suspect this is their way of up-pricing standard veranda cabins by throwing that in as a design perk. 30% more space = 30% higher prices from what I have seen.

As to my overall impression - not all that impressed so far. The design seems too modern (read that as cold) to me, but everyone has different tastes. I think the Magic Carpet is ridiculous but when I see it in person perhaps I will change my mind. I am going to keep an open mind as computer renderings leave a lot to be desired and there is still so much unknown. But for now, I am frankly in no rush to book the ship. I am not one of those people who believe newer is always better (in fact, I prefer M to S class, but do love both). Have seen nothing so far that makes me want to pay 30% more for the same cruise I can get on one of the other beautiful Celebrity ships. If I could afford suites, I suspect the Retreat area would entice me. But since I can't.......just booked three cruises on other Celebrity ships for 2018:)

Completely 100% wrong. Everyone that I have spoken to at celebrity has confirmed other wise and by simply looking at the deck plans you can see this is not true.

Going back to this earlier post:

For the first time in over 20 years of cruising, watching new ships built over the years, this ship design came as somewhat a disappointment for me:

Unless I am missing something - what exactly in the ship design is the" EDGE"?

Interior -too modern, cold, boring color gray. I wish they came up with some inviting colors. Color gray is too depressing for me.

Modern furniture looks cheap and not upscale. I don't see it to be classy, elegant and comfortable.

Not enough loungers around the pool.

Solarium looks too simple, boring and not inviting.

I wish they designed T pool, which I absolutely love on "M" class.

" Magic carpet" idea is silly. Doesn't seems to add any luxury aspects to the ship design.

X couldn't pick any worst itineraries for this new ship.

Prices are plain stupid.

I wish they gave more information regarding all eating venues, lounges and theater. Maybe that will change my mind to book in the first year. Have to wait and see complete product. No intention of booking.

I just saw an interview with Silversea about their massive new build and renovation program, with this quote:

"She describes Silver Muse, which is the line's largest ship, as "whispering luxury," with subtle colors, rather than "screaming luxury." The new ship has a color palette of neutral greys, taupes and beige in all suites and public areas, with minimalist decor and little art."

So there you are: this is the 2017 chic color palette. Expect it everywhere [until next year...]

Having looked at the video that my TA sent, the ship looks very nice and I get the feeling that perhaps X is attempting, with this vessel, to pull in more upper income clientele. Interesting that there are 16 infinite cabins for solo passengers but at a hefty price for those solo passengers such as myself. Once the newness wears off perhaps prices might come down a bit.

The "Magic Carpet" seems... I don't know, just not sure it will do a thing to enhance ones cruise.

The ship over all looks stunning however: will it be short staffed, will customer service become important again, will the MDR food be better than just okay, and will the entertainment be quality? All remains to be seen.

Looking forward to sailing on this ship, our first Celebrity Cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Going back to this earlier post:

I just saw an interview with Silversea about their massive new build and renovation program, with this quote:

"She describes Silver Muse, which is the line's largest ship, as "whispering luxury," with subtle colors, rather than "screaming luxury." The new ship has a color palette of neutral greys, taupes and beige in all suites and public areas, with minimalist decor and little art."

So there you are: this is the 2017 chic color palette. Expect it everywhere [until next year...]

I like neutral colors, but they need to be mixed with inviting warm colors. All decors in my opinion has to be classy, elegant and timeless. This chic color palette is boring, and has no personality.

I'm just quoting the FAQ Celebrity has published....I can't imagine a specialty restaurant that doesn't serve hot food. It's not computing to me. Not trying to make fun at all. Sorry.

Ever been to a cold-serve seafood bar? Lobster, crab, clams, oysters, ceviche... Cold soups: gazpacho, vichyssoise, stone fruits, cucumber bisque...

Many gourmet meals are served cold.

Here's another version that mentions restaurants on 16

That's the Magic Carpet, a new public space that will serve different purposes at different times of the day. When it's positioned on Deck 2, it's a stylish disembarkation point. On Deck 5, it becomes a lunch spot with wraparound views. Up on Deck 14, it's an extension to the pool area, sometimes with a DJ. (Think of it as a pool party that comes and goes, explained Lutoff-Perlo.) And in the evenings, the Magic Carpet will anchor at Deck 16, where it'll become a fine dining restaurant that's cantilevered over the sea.

Glad we booked on the side opposite the Magic Carpet....avoids issues with views (structural & as it moves, and when parked, etc ), possible noise ( operational or DJ) , and maybe food odors

Our itin has no tender ports so no tender noise potential..

Originally posted by phoenix_dream

"We were also told today by a large online cruise agency not to be named, but books ALOT of Celebrity that neither Concierge nor Aqua class will have the infinite balconies either. Seems very strange to me. I suspect this is their way of up-pricing standard veranda cabins by throwing that in as a design perk. 30% more space = 30% higher prices from what I have seen."

We booked AQ....stateroom description and deck plan definitely show it will have Infinite Balc....and Celeb reps say correct on that. Unfortuntately we have the bed by balc configuration.. probably not the best layout for feeling of openness and the folding balc doors....we could not change so we,ll enjoy what we have...

Glad we booked on the side opposite the Magic Carpet....avoids issues with views (structural & as it moves, and when parked, etc ), possible noise ( operational or DJ) , and maybe food odors

We booked on the Magic Carpet side to see what happens with the Magic Carpet. I think it will be most interesting to watch during sea days.

I m with you!

Interesting thread. My thoughts:

There is a lot I like, and for that reason I am booked on the Edge for early 2019. It will be my second Celebrity cruise. I like the modern colour palette and the arty vibe. The garden restaurant area particularly appeals and I can see it being an area my husband and I enjoy hanging out in during the day more than the pool area.

I love the look of the infinite balconies - they remind me of what luxury river cruise ships are doing. However, unfortunately we can't afford one this time around and have opted instead for an oceanview.

I don't mind the idea of separate areas for suite guests, I'm just worried that there may not be any forward facing public areas on this ship. I have booked one of the oversized ocean view cabins at the front of the ship, so at least we will have some views forward. But for daytime relaxing, it is also nice when this view comes with a bar.

I'm take it or leave it with the magic carpet, but I was curious as to whether there are any balcony cabins in it's path. If so, presumably there are safety precautions in place regarding people sticking their arms and heads out past the railing/window.

With regards to the 2 specialty restaurants we know of, they are both outdoors and will presumably be affected by weather. More than ever, people will be hoping for fine, warm sailings. I'm looking forward to hearing about the indoor options and hoping for something a bit more edgy (such as Qisine).

Lastly, Celebrity, if you are reading this, I really hope your 'Edge' factor passes through to your entertainment choices. Please consider daytime entertainment options that are engaging (e.g. art classes, educational talks, games, live music, more trivia variety etc) and not all just talks on things you are selling (spa treatments, art, jewellery, port excursions etc). There is much talk about not enough seats around the pool deck, but I think you would fine this less of a problem if people are spread around other decks enjoying other activities.

Edit to what I wrote above:

It appears that the magic carpet does have balconies, but going by the pictures, they look to be set back (presumably for the safety reasons I mentioned above). I wonder if this will make these rooms darker?

Secondly the video mentions interactive activities during the day in the deck garden. That sounds promising. I look forward to hearing what they are.

• 3 months later...
First I should say that X is by far our favorite cruiseline. We've tried HAL, Princess, RCCL, NCL, Carnival, and Disney. Disney is a close second. As someone who is their 30's, I feel like the design decisions are completely on trend and inviting. After my husband and I watched the promotional video that they released with Nate Berkus, both of our responses were "Take my money!". To me this means that they are shifting their focus on clientele that are younger and through the preponderance of suites and upgraded options, upwardly mobile younger market. They are running a business that is based on generating profits on margin. We can't fault them for that. I sincerely hope they don't get rid of Cellar Master's or if they do, they offer something similar in a different format.

One thing I also have picked up on through different communications with X resources is that they are working on improving the child care options. To me this also points to their desire to attract a younger clientele with kids.I am curious if they will reveal improvements in their spa area similar to the Royal class of ships on Princess.

I think X is acknowledging with their design that their direct competitors are not so much Princess or HAL, but new entrants to the market, such as Viking and Virgin who are competing for similar clientele.

If you consider that these ships are full of the older generation most of the year, because children are in school throughout the world and the younger generation are having to work harder and longer just to keep a roof over their heads - so are they really right to try and attract a younger clientele. Also have the young got the extra money to be able to afford cruise after cruise. I do ralize that some young people have loads of money.

If you consider that these ships are full of the older generation most of the year, because children are in school throughout the world and the younger generation are having to work harder and longer just to keep a roof over their heads - so are they really right to try and attract a younger clientele. Also have the young got the extra money to be able to afford cruise after cruise. I do ralize that some young people have loads of money.

I couldn't agree more! I would have to assume that the majority of cruisers are older and have the time and money to cruise when they want. Of course, by having it more appealing for families with kids, they can get better pricing in summer months and holidays.