Man swept away in Huahine

Minoushka

You are fortunate in the U.S. that your credit card will cover medical insurance over the age of 65. In Canada all is well with medical insurance using your credit card to book your trip - but when you turn 65 - you are declined medical insurance.

Linda

You misunderstood my post. Our credit card ins is only trip cancellation/interruption ins, NOT medical. That is why I am recommending that people buy a separate policy for med coverage and med evac. And, that is why I am urging people to get credit cards that carry the trip ins benefit. Even at $95 a year, that is much less than policies sold on their own. Just make sure you pay for the cruise with the card!

^quoting for truth.

I might be getting a little too far off the scale here, but plenty of the problem lies in that there is no danger in our normal life in the "first" world. We're not having to dodge snipers, bears, tigers, dragons, despots, or death squads on a daily basis so we are SURE that we're safe everywhere.

The # of folks who travel to "exotic" locales w/o grasping the dangers with the "exotic" locale is staggering. First rule, when in the third world your first thing to procure is a gun that you're able to use reasonably well or trustworthy/dependable security.

Yep you dropped off the scale here . I do not tote my gun with me in foreign locales nor would I ever think of doing so. I am thinking this is just a bad post. If not, I really would consider what I would do with my gun in this instance. :cool:

This is so awful, can't imagine.

But...in my experience in FP and on the Caribbean where I've snorkelled, except for USVI, there is little attention paid to safety or comfort. Few standards exist, or if they exist, are not followed. I remember snorkellers struggling to get back in the boat in the Turks, with no ladder available; a very tight, dense group snorkelling, all looking at the same few turtles in Barbados, no head counts or anything; same always in FP, then there was the incident in BB where the PG pax fell climbing back into the boat (with no guard rail) and broke his collarbone--that ended his dream vacation very quickly. In none of these cases did the staff provide any instruction or safety cautions, nor did they know what to do to ensure the safety of their customers--you were on your own. In the latter case it was we fellow passengers who looked after the poor guy until he could get to the ship's doctor.

I must say Mahana of Patrick fame did keep a count and careful watch on us .when we went out to swim with sharks in the ocean he told us to hold the rigger of the boat and not wander off That current was rather strong ..we all did I really had to pump to get back in the boat and we were not far ...it was that strong

also with George in Tahaa his instructions were very clear for drift snorkel and other guys did come to help ..one took my shoes before I put my fins on to take off ...there were 3other guides with George ...I thought they were very cautious ..waiting at the exit to make sure all were safe

Our boat was not overloaded ....I hear others did

Only one guy wanted us to jump in water ...I refused ...my brainwashing re jumping in unknown waters from camp rang alarm bells to me ..so I forced him to put down the ladder ..which happened to be above some sharp coral

Rule one ...never jump in unknown waters ...glide or slide in ...I always do ..keepng eyes opened as to what is there hiding underneath

Only one guy wanted us to jump in water ...I refused ...my brainwashing re jumping in unknown waters from camp rang alarm bells to me ..so I forced him to put down the ladder ..which happened to be above some sharp coral

Rule one ...never jump in unknown waters ...glide or slide in ...I always do ..keepng eyes opened as to what is there hiding underneath

Thank you very much for this very wise advice. I must admit that I don't always follow this rule but we all should.

^quoting for truth.

The # of folks who travel to "exotic" locales w/o grasping the dangers with the "exotic" locale is staggering. First rule, when in the third world your first thing to procure is a gun that you're able to use reasonably well or trustworthy/dependable security.

We're not travelling to the States until July, but I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks for the heads-up.

You are fortunate in the U.S. that your credit card will cover medical insurance over the age of 65. In Canada all is well with medical insurance using your credit card to book your trip - but when you turn 65 - you are declined medical insurance.

Linda

And here in Australia, if you can get medical insurance over 70 it costs several thousand dollars and excludes previous conditions - usually defined as ANYTHING you have ever seen any sort of medical professional about. If you are over 70 that includes just about all of your carcase!

So if you list all your complaints over the previous 60 years, yes, they will insure you - but exclude those bits. So you pay several thousand dollars for effectively no insurance.

At least in more civilised places you can pay a little extra and be fully insured.

I can see where that area could be a problem anytime the tide is dropping. There are two deep water channels through the reef near there. Once the tide turns and it starts dropping you could have a strong current there going out to sea. Just as during a rising tide you would have a strong flow into the atoll.

Being in the water anywhere close to the channels through the atoll reef are going to be somewhat dangerous depending upon the tide. The atolls are like very large swimming pools with only a few channels to the sea. Water flows quite strongly through those channels, in during rising tide, out during an ebbing tide.

Edited by RDC1

We were on the Marina cruise where the one passenger was lost. Very sad as we were on the shuttle and heard the news. Looking at the water near Fare, it didn't look too bad. But we were on the motu near Tahaa the previous day when another man was pulled from the water...a near drowning. Thankfully he survived and we were warned by another passenger that the currents were quite strong.

It looked peaceful but almost took my legs out from under me. Based on that experience, were were quite cautious in Huahine and snorkelled near Chez Tara on Huahine Iti.

In Bora Bora, we went with Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discoveries. I cannot say enough about that company....they were knowledgeable, and very safety conscious. Small group, highly organized, head counts and attention to those not comfortable in the water, as well as amazing snorkeling.

Edited by golfnwench

In Bora Bora, we went with Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discoveries. I cannot say enough about that company....they were knowledgeable, and very safety conscious. Small group, highly organized, head counts and attention to those not comfortable in the water, as well as amazing snorkeling.

I second this! They were wonderful! Rannui (who we did the next day), not so much.

I live in Hawaii and I can tell you that currents, tides and surf vary by day, by weather and by local conditions. No place is perfectly safe, it is nature and it is wild. As we age, we are less able to deal with the ocean. I always wear a snorkel vest. No snorkel cruises stock then, they will give you a foam noodle but not a vest. But they are available online (Walmart, US Divers) and inexpensive. You can deflate them to dive down and then blow air into them to support you. If this had been available to the poor passenger on FP cruise, he would still be with us. If you are going to snorkel, get a vest! If you get a cramp, wear out in currents, tire or (God forbid) have a heart attack, you WILL NOT DROWN! Google this, snorkel vest by US Divers, it is super pack able, and you will never worry again.

Im actually thinking about getting one ..I realised on this trip my legs are not as strong as they once were .....yes the currents in the Pacific ..cone out of knowhere and are very strong

I will try and find the vest ...gee more luggage

I...I always wear a snorkel vest. No snorkel cruises stock then, they will give you a foam noodle but not a vest. ...

In USVI, on a catamaran snorkel trip to St. John, we were obliged to wear them. It was considered a safety issue--it also helped to spot us in the water, so the staff could keep a head count. I was ticked off, since the water was calm and still, but after I got used to it, and deflated it, I was fine.

The Paul Gauguin provides them optionally as part of the snorkel gear they dispense to all passengers. That's the only other time I've seen them. There have been times, like last fall in FP, when I was recovering from surgery, when I wished I'd had one, frankly.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

In Tahiti, I took a snorkeling class by the Scuba department on the PG. It was the first time I'd ever "learned" to snorkel. I grew up at the beach and was a surfer girl in high school - a very strong swimmer. In the USVI about 15 years ago on a Celebrity we did an excursion and from the boat we we re to swim to shore and then proceed to snorkel. My fitness level very different from my days on the beach in school. I had to stop and float on my back to recover from the distance, having no clue how far we really swam. Made me very leery of over judging my ability.

Fast forward to 8 weeks ago we went to the Great Barrier Reef to snorkel. They interviewed each passenger who was going to snorkel to make sure they had the ability. Everyone was outfitted with a rash guard suit, a really good snorkel vest and fins and were checked before going in. Some people were assigned a different color snorkle to be watched by the lifeguards.

The water is only as safe as the caution you take with you getting into it.

It sounds as if many people have different experiences. When we were on the PG and took excursions that required swimming/snorkeling ability, we were all treated the same. I am a weak swimmer at best but do fairly well snorkeling when I can just float along and watch the sea life. We on an excursion that should have been cancelled but was not........ until another boat capcized (sp.) and the crew of our boat had to come to their rescue. IMO, passengers on any ship should make certain that they meet the criteria that is usually spelled out in excursion description. Safety regulations are not the same in all parts of the world. It is best to be cautious.

Edited by Travelcat2

to snorkel in Hawaii or the South Pacific Islands or New Zealand than in the Caribbean. I have snorkeled 5 times in the Caribbean, taking cruise ship excursions, and really enjoyed it. That was over the last 5 years. I was a senior citizen who is comfortable in water (small female) before I got the chance to go snorkeling.

Now, I am taking a cruise to Hawaii and South Pacific Islands and from what I have read for the descriptions of the snorkeling excursions, I am wondering if it is more difficult. Are the waters more wavy? Does it just depend on the day. I am inclined to not go snorkeling on this cruise. My husband does not snorkel and does not like to go out on the small boat to the snorkeling site either.

There is one excursion, not sure what port it is at, where you put "helmets" on your head and walk along the floor in about 10 feet of water to see the wildlife. They actually say that you might or might not see wildlife. Does all of the activity scare the fish away. You do not get your head wet. Probably not as exciting, but better than nothing. Has anyone ever done an excursion like this?

Thanks for any help.

Snorkeling in French Polynesia to me was the highlight of our journey .Go with a trusted company who will avoid areas of strong currents etc .swimming with sharks and stingrays is very exciting .on my second time out with Mahana from Patricks groups in Bora bora he took us out to sea to swim with big ...big ...gentle ..lemon sharks .we are talking 5+ feet each .we were on top they were very quiet at the bottom .The black tipped were swimming around

The guide told us to hang on to the rigger as the current was quite strong .my sister who is a non swimmer did not go into the water as it was very deep ...about 20 feet

Others literally climbed on the rigger .Our guide kept a careful watch on us all and we did not stay out that long .The lagoon itself was very calm

The day that poor man got swept away ...we were there on the beach ...you could see the boats they were on the oceans edge clearly visible by the change in colour of the water .a storm came up out of nowhere ...the sudden wind and rain were quite dramatic.We found shelter in a shop but it was very intense for at least 15 minutes .Out at sea that could feel like an eternity

So go try snorkeling,wear fins,wear a vest ...the beauty of the coral and gorgeous fish is worth it .if its not nice out ...forget it ...don.t take a chance ...listen to weather reports

Go with reliable companis who do not overcrowd small boats and watch over you

Bon voyage

to snorkel in Hawaii or the South Pacific Islands or New Zealand than in the Caribbean. I have snorkeled 5 times in the Caribbean, taking cruise ship excursions, and really enjoyed it. That was over the last 5 years. I was a senior citizen who is comfortable in water (small female) before I got the chance to go snorkeling.

Now, I am taking a cruise to Hawaii and South Pacific Islands and from what I have read for the descriptions of the snorkeling excursions, I am wondering if it is more difficult. Are the waters more wavy? Does it just depend on the day. I am inclined to not go snorkeling on this cruise. My husband does not snorkel and does not like to go out on the small boat to the snorkeling site either.

There is one excursion, not sure what port it is at, where you put "helmets" on your head and walk along the floor in about 10 feet of water to see the wildlife. They actually say that you might or might not see wildlife. Does all of the activity scare the fish away. You do not get your head wet. Probably not as exciting, but better than nothing. Has anyone ever done an excursion like this?

Thanks for any help.

I too am a senior and small and LOVED our snorkeling excursions. Buy a blow up snorkel vest (Amazon) you'll feel more secure. I snorkeled with a stronger swimmer close by..Let the guides know you want them to keep an eye on you..they are usually very good with novices. One guide literally towed me around by the hand thru the coral gardens. If the waters are choppy because of bad weather I'd reconsider. I have seen the helmet tours online(expensive&little time). I saw fantastic wildlife on our snorkeling

excursions. Go with reputable companies recommended here on CC.

Thank you to both fellow Canadians. I guess I will reconsider the helmet walk. Can not remember how expensive it was. We did an Atlantis submarine about 10 years ago and the sub chased the fish away. We were very disappointed even though it was a great experience for one who had never snorkeled. Probably the same happens with the helmet tour and that is why they give the warning.

I will take the ships excursions probably and hope that the day is nice and the water is not too rough.

Thanks again.