Oceana refit ... gossip

Presto2

• 1 month later...

There is a gap in the schedule for Oceana later this year.

My guess its refit will be between 30th Nov and 15th Dec

I presume this will be when they install a 'Glasshouse'

Edited by Malcolm142
Added Glasshouse

We love wine but on Britannia there was a real lack of atmosphere and the food just about made up for it. Nothing at all to write home about on Britannia so hopefully it will be better on Ventura.

I agree about the Glasshouse on Britannia but we have always enjoyed going there on Azura. We got off Ventura 2nd April and went to the Glass house twice and were disappointed both times, the food was OK but there was absolutely no atmosphere.

We were on Aurora in December and Ventura in January and whenever we passed by The Glasshouse there were very few people in there. I agree about the lack of atmosphere. I know many people say they love it but I can't say we'd hurry back. We did go and have lunch there on Aurora and the meal was fine, but again apart from one other couple we were the only ones in there.

The only P&O ships we have we have been on in recent years are Oriana and Oceana, so have never experienced a "Glasshouse". We booked a cruise on Oceana last week, but will not sail until after the refit. We loved Cafe Jardin, so am feeling somewhat disappointed, but also confused.

I have read through this thread and cannot make out what the "Glasshouse " is. It appears to be a bar that serves wine by the glass, but some people are also mentioning food. Is it also a restaurant and if so, what sort of food is offered and is there a charge to eat there?

It is a wine bar which serves bistro style food. Can't quite remember what's on the menu as I usually have the 3 small plates. However, here's a link to the menu. Some things are different to what we had on Ventura recently but it will give you an idea. There is a small cover charge. I love it on all the ships but Azura is the original and best.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/images/Cruise//cruise_gallery/1/glasshouse_example_2_0.pdf

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Looks a bit different to other cruise ship food. Is it open throughout the day - people have said you cannot use it for breakfast, but is it still a lunch and evening meal venue? Looks like it could be useful of a night of you do not want a big meal, or for a light lunch.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Looks a bit different to other cruise ship food. Is it open throughout the day - people have said you cannot use it for breakfast, but is it still a lunch and evening meal venue? Looks like it could be useful of a night of you do not want a big meal, or for a light lunch.

Correct, they start food service at about 11.00 but they serve constantly up until about 22.00. They also serve coffee and tea. What is good about it is that all the food is cooked for you when you order apart from possibly the cassoulet, which is wonderful BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The concept for the Glasshouse was a relaxed informal lounge bar which served an extensive range of wines by the glass plus normal bar drinks. You can also buy a range of food items from the ever popular small plates, think tapas, to steaks etc. There is no cover charge, you pay by item and can just use it as a bar if you want.

In my opinion the Glasshouse on Aurora and Britannia just don't work as the P&O bean counters have reduced the size of the bar area and seem intent on turning it into another restaurant.

The only P&O ships we have we have been on in recent years are Oriana and Oceana, so have never experienced a "Glasshouse". We booked a cruise on Oceana last week, but will not sail until after the refit. We loved Cafe Jardin, so am feeling somewhat disappointed, but also confused.

I have read through this thread and cannot make out what the "Glasshouse " is. It appears to be a bar that serves wine by the glass, but some people are also mentioning food. Is it also a restaurant and if so, what sort of food is offered and is there a charge to eat there?

The first Glass House on Azura (which is the best in my opinion, mainly because of the amazing architecture) was created so that passengers would be able to try wine by the glass. This is because of a special enomatic system which keeps opened bottles of wine as new for a long time after they have been opened. This meant that you could try wines that you would normally only be able to have by the bottle. It was, therefore, primarily meant to be a bar.

They then added food that you could have in the afternoon and evening. I remember having the cheese platter that was for two people in the afternoon with a wine flight. The platter was a lot bigger then than it is now I can tell you! There is a charge for each item, whereas in the select dining venues like Epicurean or Sindhu there is a cover charge per person for having a meal in them, with some items on the menus in them having a small extra charge.

The food is extremely good in The Glass House, but the joy of these bars is being able to try the wines. That is what it was meant for after all.

Enjoy yourself! :)

Totally agree about Cafe Bordeaux. We were only on Aurora once when that was there and we loved it both for breakfast and lunch. When we were on Aurora last December the choices for breakfast were either the main restaurant or the buffet - or I suppose room service. Now I hate the buffet at any time but particularly on a sea day when it tends to be heaving. I would much rather be in the main restaurant, which last December we were as I was a couple of months prior to having a knee replacement and I couldn't manage my walking stick and a tray in the buffet then wandering round trying to find a seat. The problem is my husband prefers the buffet as he likes making a sort of breakfast cereal cocktail with bits of this and that - cereal plus compote plus yoghurt plus some sliced fruit and he can't have this in the restaurant.

Now next year we are going on the 65 night South American trip on Aurora and he's concerned about what we are going to do for breakfast! Well we can either take it in turns - not sure I could face the buffet for even half that number of nights - or we agree to each go to our preferred eaterie. I did suggest another option - we could upgrade from our mini suite to a suite but my husband wasn't keen on that option! Had Cafe Bordeaux still been in situ that's where we could have gone. I assume one reason it went was because it didn't earn any money whereas people have to pay to eat in The Glasshouse, not a lot I know but it's still revenue, especially with the wine added. So I can see why they would replace Cafe Jardin but we will be sorry to see it go.

Like some other people I would rather some of the ships were different from each other as far as eateries are concerned. I'd like to go on Aurora and find the Cafe Bordeaux, go on Azura and find The Glasshouse etc. However, it seems as though they all have to be the same - well apart from Adonia which, I believe now has a Glasshouse in place of the old Sorrento but one difference I think is still apparent on Adonia is that the buffet is only open on a very few theme evenings, she has no Freedom Dining as she only has one restaurant. Vive la difference!

Totally agree about Cafe Bordeaux. We were only on Aurora once when that was there and we loved it both for breakfast and lunch. When we were on Aurora last December the choices for breakfast were either the main restaurant or the buffet - or I suppose room service. Now I hate the buffet at any time but particularly on a sea day when it tends to be heaving. I would much rather be in the main restaurant, which last December we were as I was a couple of months prior to having a knee replacement and I couldn't manage my walking stick and a tray in the buffet then wandering round trying to find a seat. The problem is my husband prefers the buffet as he likes making a sort of breakfast cereal cocktail with bits of this and that - cereal plus compote plus yoghurt plus some sliced fruit and he can't have this in the restaurant.

Now next year we are going on the 65 night South American trip on Aurora and he's concerned about what we are going to do for breakfast! Well we can either take it in turns - not sure I could face the buffet for even half that number of nights - or we agree to each go to our preferred eaterie. I did suggest another option - we could upgrade from our mini suite to a suite but my husband wasn't keen on that option! Had Cafe Bordeaux still been in situ that's where we could have gone. I assume one reason it went was because it didn't earn any money whereas people have to pay to eat in The Glasshouse, not a lot I know but it's still revenue, especially with the wine added. So I can see why they would replace Cafe Jardin but we will be sorry to see it go.

Like some other people I would rather some of the ships were different from each other as far as eateries are concerned. I'd like to go on Aurora and find the Cafe Bordeaux, go on Azura and find The Glasshouse etc. However, it seems as though they all have to be the same - well apart from Adonia which, I believe now has a Glasshouse in place of the old Sorrento but one difference I think is still apparent on Adonia is that the buffet is only open on a very few theme evenings, she has no Freedom Dining as she only has one restaurant. Vive la difference!

Although both my husband and myself love The Glass House, we agree with you that it is a shame they've taken away Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora, and that they are taking away Cafe Jardin on Oceana for the same reason.

We also agree with you that all ships should be different rather than identikit. Adonia has indeed got a Glass House now in place of Sorrento, but she does still have an Ocean Grill, although by the time we get on her in August they will probably have renamed it Epicurean!

One possible option for your breakfast dilemma might be for your husband to go and get the cereal he wants and bring it back to your cabin. I'm sure people do do this. He would then get the breakfast he wants, and you wouldn't have to go through the nightmare of the buffet!

On the subject of upgrading to a Suite, we nearly always have one, but, to be honest, I don't think having one would help with regard to your breakfast scenario. It might prove difficult trying to explain to your Butler exactly what you required for the cereal, and then your husband would end up with the same problem, ie. not exactly what he wants. We actually have a slight problem over breakfast ourselves - I like it in the Suite, but my husband likes it in the dining venue put aside for Suite passengers. We usually compromise by having a small amount in the Suite, and then going and having the larger part of breakfast in the venue!

I do hope you get it sorted. :)

I wonder, will the Oceana Glasshouse serve breakfast just like the Cafe Jardin did? That was a lovely spot for a civilised breakfast - as opposed to the more hectic affair in the buffet.

Unfortunately I think not. They haven't done it anywhere else I'm afraid, so, unless they change things across the board, it won't happen.

Thank you for all those extra explanations of the Glass House concept.

It is sounding a great place to go if you come back from spending time ashore. Saves being tempted by those cakes laid out for after noon tea! Would also be available late afternoon if we wanted a snack before getting ready for dinner. One problem we have had on Oceana is that they closed the self service about 5-6 pm. Now thinking it will be some compensation for loosing Cafe Jardin, though we did use that a lot in the evenings.

Cruise Puss,

Thank you for your comments. We have been in suites on several ships and when we were last on Oceana there wasn't the option for Suite Passengers to go somewhere for a separate breakfast although now I think they are coning off part of one of the main dining rooms. When we were on Azura or Ventura it was wonderful and we had breakfast in The Epicurean. Now I believe Suite Passengers on Aurora can go to the Glasshouse for breakfast. Assuming it will be the same menu as in The Epicurean this would have been great. Most days on Azura or Ventura we went to The Epicurean unless we had a very early trip and then we'd have breakfast in the cabin. However, on a long cruise such as the one we will be going on next year the difference in price between a mini suite and a suite is huge so we won't be doing that. We are back on Oceana a year this coming September but again in a mini suite so if Cafe Jardin has gone we will have the same dilemma as we will on Aurora. I suppose I could let my husband go and have his cocktail fix and then both go to the main dining room but I can't see that happening. As someone has said the floor area of Cafe Jardin is quite small so if they are going to change it into the Glasshouse it will be different from the Glasshouse on any of the other ships. Well we'll see!

Remember on Oceana there are only 6 suites. We were on at Christmas and the separate room was over by the door to the kitchen. The service was excellent but then again we only ever saw 4 others there once the rest of the time we were by ourselves or with one other couple. With so few people using, if it happens, the new glasshouse would be far too big. I think they should offer this to those in mini suites.

Cruise Puss,

Thank you for your comments. We have been in suites on several ships and when we were last on Oceana there wasn't the option for Suite Passengers to go somewhere for a separate breakfast although now I think they are coning off part of one of the main dining rooms. When we were on Azura or Ventura it was wonderful and we had breakfast in The Epicurean. Now I believe Suite Passengers on Aurora can go to the Glasshouse for breakfast. Assuming it will be the same menu as in The Epicurean this would have been great. Most days on Azura or Ventura we went to The Epicurean unless we had a very early trip and then we'd have breakfast in the cabin. However, on a long cruise such as the one we will be going on next year the difference in price between a mini suite and a suite is huge so we won't be doing that. We are back on Oceana a year this coming September but again in a mini suite so if Cafe Jardin has gone we will have the same dilemma as we will on Aurora. I suppose I could let my husband go and have his cocktail fix and then both go to the main dining room but I can't see that happening. As someone has said the floor area of Cafe Jardin is quite small so if they are going to change it into the Glasshouse it will be different from the Glasshouse on any of the other ships. Well we'll see!

As has been stated by daiB there is an area on Oceana for breakfast for those in Suites. We used it every day and loved it, and, yes, on Aurora you go to the Glass House - it's an area at the back. We used it every day when we were on Christmas 2015. The most beautiful room for breakfast is Epicurean on Britiannia - it's stunning!

I don't agree that mini-Suites should be allowed access I'm afraid. There are a lot more mini-Suites on some ships, and, if you say that Superior Deluxe Cabins on Britiannia, Azura and Ventura are essentially mini-Suites (they do get the same perks) then the breakfast area would have to be huge. There is a large price difference still between a mini-Suite and a Suite and that has to have some perks that aren't accorded to mini-Suites.

As has been stated by daiB there is an area on Oceana for breakfast for those in Suites. We used it every day and loved it, and, yes, on Aurora you go to the Glass House - it's an area at the back. We used it every day when we were on Christmas 2015. The most beautiful room for breakfast is Epicurean on Britiannia - it's stunning!

I don't agree that mini-Suites should be allowed access I'm afraid. There are a lot more mini-Suites on some ships, and, if you say that Superior Deluxe Cabins on Britiannia, Azura and Ventura are essentially mini-Suites (they do get the same perks) then the breakfast area would have to be huge. There is a large price difference still between a mini-Suite and a Suite and that has to have some perks that aren't accorded to mini-Suites.

The only ship in which it would cause a problem is Arcadia.she has more suites and mini's than any other ship. The big ones do not have minis.

That would leave Aurora Oriana and Oceana. In each case the dining rooms used could cope easily.

Doubt it will happen however.

I have to agree. We always book a suite and until recently there have been very few perks for suite passengers. Finally we are getting some, not enough in my opinion but a start. Last time we were on the Aurora the Glasshouse was packed for breakfast. I usually eat mine in the cabin but on our next cruise on the Aurora it will be nice to have an alternative.