Rhapsody Queensland review with Newcastle, Cairns, airlie beach; brisbane reviews

Getting off the ship tomorrow, but already wrote my review. If you have any questions, please ask.

Every time I get on this class ship, I swear I won’t sail her again. These ships are older and smaller. I do believe the food selections are very limited based on the size of the ships and our selection was very small and we did not care for most of the food at all. Although their three cheese tortellini is so good. I hate saying that because I feel loyal to Royal. With that aside, Captain Rob was wonderful and took very good care of us as he steered right into a Cat 5 Cyclone (Marcia). We had two sea days in the Cyclone with very rocky waves and bad weather. Once we were cleared it was sunny skies all the way. If you are going to have rain, having it on sea days was better than port days.

Captain Rob is quite the character in his daily briefs. I find him funny while he annoys my daughter. So I guess you’ll have to decide on your own.

We were in JS 8590 and our stateroom attendant was excellent. Always around and kept our ice cooler filled. The refrigerator did not stay shut, so even though these refrigerators are not known to keep things cool this one was even worse. In our 37 cruises, we’ve never had to complain about neighbors, but we had a Chinese couple next door that invited their extended family/friends into the cabin for balconies parties between 11 pm and 3 every night. After about three nights in a row we addressed it. RCI was quick to respond, adding that they had already fined them regarding smoking in the room. Other than an occasional outburst when they returned to the cabin, they stayed relatively quiet and we were grateful.

The shows were dreadful.

Concierge Lounge – Amit the concierge has to be the best concierge we have ever had. He really went above and beyond for everyone. He knew we had a couple of private tours requiring us to be off the ship early and was as panicked as we were. He has the greatest personality and is just so caring. The CL is relatively small, narrow, and most nights would open the door to the Viking Crown which they blocked off with a screen and would monitor it carefully. Jeffrey was the bartender and was excellent. He would start making your drinks as soon as he saw you walk in. The new seats in the lounge are pretty uncomfortable. There are a handful of comfy seats that go quickly. We used the lounge nightly and never used the sea pass loaded drinks at other bards.

Diamond Lounge – A much bigger lounge and more comfy seats. This is located next to the Shall We dance lounge and they too opened the door and blocked off part of this lounge in the evening.

Newcastle: We did the ship Newcastle Hunter Valley tour. Ugh. The “host” Malcolm needs to just retire. He was just awful. His monotone voice, he has zero personality, and really had nothing to say about the wine valley. He would point out things about this or that town we were driving through or where he lived from here or there. With a long drive, one would expect someone to tell us about the wineries we’d be visiting or something of interest based on the tour. Plus we had to make a detour, because the tour company didn’t give the driver, the Royal Caribbean bus decal so we drove ½ hour out of the way into a residential area to fetch this bus decal. Really? Hunter Valley is predominately white wines, so that was our mistake for not getting enough info on that. There were quite a lot of samples to taste and it was nice all tasting fees were included.

Cairns: Because we sailed into the Cyclone, Captain Rob had to slow down the speed, which got us into Cairns a little late. We communicated with Reef Magic, our independently booked tour of the Great Barrier Reef, but they were told by the ship’s agent we’d be two to three hours late and clearly would miss our tour. So they said they’d refund us our money because they wanted to sell out seats. Even if they hadn’t sold our seat, they were very understanding about the cyclone and our delay, and I’m sure would have refunded our money regardless. We arrived at the Fleet Terminal at 9:30 (1/2 hour after our tour left). We tried booking with other tours leaving later, but due to Chinese New Years, there were 30,000 (this is not a typo) Chinese tourist there and they had literally taken over all excursions and such. We even were willing to pay for the helicopter tours and could not get on them either. BTW, it is blazing hot in this part of the world in February. We could barely breathe walking around.

Cairns Day two we booked Kuranda Cable car up and back. We visited the Wildlife area and had our photo with the Koala. Again, we booked this privately and saved a ton of money. We were told we would not have time to do both the Wildlife and the Army Duck. But we could have easily, again, trying the book the army duck the day of, we could not due to the Chinese having it booked solid the entire day. Those that took the ship’s tour train up, were extremely disappointed. They complained the train was like a sauna, and had little time to do anything in the village and were bused down.

Airlie Beach. We had the best privately booked excursion with Ocean Rafting. A full day, snorkel Whitsunday Island, a visit to Whitehaven Beach (the water is crystal clear), the sand whiter than white and cool sand. You can see lemon shark pups swimming in the shallow water. Too cute. Then off to the other end of White Have while they prepare the lunch and you can continue your swim. They do nickel and dime you to death. You more or less must rent the stinger suit, you must bring money to pay for drinks, even bottled water and lunch is also $15 on top of the $139 for the day. While I give it a 4 out of 5 stars, it would be much lower had I been one of the few that did not get a seat. It was a little overcrowded and a few who boarded last, ended up with the option of sitting on the side of the raft but in reality then stood and leaned (smart move) with the fear of bouncing off and over. FYI, the ship tour with this same company, Ocean Rafting, offered a half day tour – snorkeling from a beach (said to be a cloudy site, but they did report swimming with turtles as well, fish and reef. But that was it. They did not visit White Haven, the gorgeous beach. This half day ship tour was $80 more than the privately booked tour.

Brisbane – Since we had our Koala and Kangaroo encounter in Kuranda we opted to take the Ship shuttle into Brisbane rather than the infamous Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary or Australia Zoo. I mentioned Australia Zoo because we saw photos from others who did that tour and their photos were amazing. Looks to be worth it. It’s a shame the ship docks so far from the city. There is nothing but a cargo grain and new car (ro-ro) terminal, so there will be no walking around from the ship. The $20 US round trip worked out fine. It takes about 40 minute drive. Going we were in a nice tour type bus, with a lovely British man as our driver who provided great information. Comfy seats and soft music and it was air conditioned. The bus back was a city public type bus, a lot less comfortable, no commentary but did its job and got us back in time.  They drop you next to an open air shopping mall which goes for blocks and blocks. Stores, restaurants and free wifi for I believe was for an hour. You could also sign onto many other open wifi. Of course the Irish PUB we decided to have lunch (near the bus pick up spot) did not have wifi, but they did have good food. There were a couple of nice spas, Pure indulgence being one, where we had hoped to have a nice spa package, but they were all booked up. We ended up having massages at Massage Philosophy which I recommend you avoid that and the one called Happy Feet. Other shipmates, reported walking over the bridge to South Bank where they took a dip in the lagoon. I do highly recommended everyone go into town; it was a nice break from the ship.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review whilst you were still on the ship. It is always interesting to view comments from an overseas visitor's perspective.

I have fond memories of cruising on Rhapsody, with a ship full of Aussies, on her inaugural cruise from Honolulu to Sydney.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Great Review.

We are on the same cruise on 6 April and can't wait. Just wondering if you are able to recall what the shows/themes were for each night and which were the formal nights.

Two formal nights. First sea Day and I think after willis island. Sorry not sure we didn't do either. Two tropical nights, one being brisbane night. There was a country theme show and some dressed up in western attire. There was a 80s night.

The first two sea days were our cyclone sailing so if there was something planned most missed it as the majority stayed in as it was difficult walking.

Thanks for your review. I'm doing the Ocean Rafting excurision albeit with Princess. Did they provide snorkel gear for you?

Booking privately they did provide snorkle mask and fins. They insist you rent the stinger suit $7 and u buy lunch from them $15. Also for sale water, soda and beer. Some complained being nickeled and dimed. Not sure how the cruise excursions are charged or what is included

They ran out of noodles quickly so do grab them asap.

Edited by Trekker954

I'm not sure who told you the Hunter is predominantly white as Hunter Valley Shiraz is considered one of the best in Australia.

No one told us; it is what we experienced. It was all about the Semillon. All three wineries!!! It's okay we drank up regardless.

No one told us; it is what we experienced. It was all about the Semillon. All three wineries!!! It's okay we drank up regardless.

Do you recall which they took you too, it does seem to be a bit hit and miss from what I hear.

I actually live in the Hunter and really wonder how they pick them, maybe it depends on what incentives the vineyards offer.

Booking privately they did provide snorkle mask and fins. They insist you rent the stinger suit $7 and u buy lunch from them $15. Also for sale water, soda and beer. Some complained being nickeled and dimed. Not sure how the cruise excursions are charged or what is included

They ran out of noodles quickly so do grab them asap.

I just checked my excurison details says meal included. I don't mind paying for this excurison as its to see the reef and Ive never seen it before.

Edited by icat2000

A couple of things I noticed. First kudos to Australia for issuing the sea pass cards with a hole already punched. What a great idea, EVERYONE had a lanyard, mostly RCI, so they probably makes oddles on money by just issuing it with the hole punched in.

I heard the royal ships weren't doing announcements anymore. Not so on Royal. Bingo, Bingo, Bingo continued as well as, the ART auction, yikes, I've been on many a RCI ship and have never seen such a waste of paper promoting the art auctions including all the announcements.

Anyone traveling to Australia, prepare yourself for Chinese takeover. We noticed walking around Sydney, every single souvenir shop, every 7/11, even the mcdonalds and Hungry Jack (aka burger king) are operated by the Chinese. WOW.

Well, we are off on our wildlife excursion. Cheers

Thanks for your honest review, hope you do some follow up re comments about the not so good aspects.

Just off the Voyager and the only announcements were from the Captain - great.

We did a ship's excursion (Radiance) for the Ocean Rafting (Hook Island and Bali Hi Islands only), no charge for wet suits, no stinger suits - a bit early?, and no charge for snorkelling gear. No meal was included but we were supplied with water, fresh fruit and cake/biscuits. Loved the Ocean Rafting and there were some sitting on the sides and had ropes to hold on! Seems there are some differing tours with them.

Just for interest sake, the Chinese are the longest continuous immigrants to Australia other than those from Britain. Fascinating history, especially in early 1800's with the gold rush. Always been renowned traders. But as China improves economically, the foreign investors are now buying up big in real estate, farming, wineries etc.

Enjoy your wildlife excursion and travels.

A couple of things I noticed. First kudos to Australia for issuing the sea pass cards with a hole already punched. What a great idea, EVERYONE had a lanyard, mostly RCI, so they probably makes oddles on money by just issuing it with the hole punched in.

I heard the royal ships weren't doing announcements anymore. Not so on Royal. Bingo, Bingo, Bingo continued as well as, the ART auction, yikes, I've been on many a RCI ship and have never seen such a waste of paper promoting the art auctions including all the announcements.

Anyone traveling to Australia, prepare yourself for Chinese takeover. We noticed walking around Sydney, every single souvenir shop, every 7/11, even the mcdonalds and Hungry Jack (aka burger king) are operated by the Chinese. WOW.

There were not many announcements on my recent RCI cruise , just the one per day from the Captain and then CD.

Yes, Australia is very multi-cultural and we have always been part of Asia , but it became official in 2007 (with the Socceroos moving from Oceania to the Asian confederation).:p

Thanks for your honest review, hope you do some follow up re comments about the not so good aspects.

Just off the Voyager and the only announcements were from the Captain - great.

We did a ship's excursion (Radiance) for the Ocean Rafting (Hook Island and Bali Hi Islands only), no charge for wet suits, no stinger suits - a bit early?, and no charge for snorkelling gear. No meal was included but we were supplied with water, fresh fruit and cake/biscuits. Loved the Ocean Rafting and there were some sitting on the sides and had ropes to hold on! Seems there are some differing tours with them.

Just for interest sake, the Chinese are the longest continuous immigrants to Australia other than those from Britain. Fascinating history, especially in early 1800's with the gold rush. Always been renowned traders. But as China improves economically, the foreign investors are now buying up big in real estate, farming, wineries etc.

Enjoy your wildlife excursion and travels.

Agreed.:D

Thanks for the review, it's a shame about the cyclone but I guess there's always the risk of that when cruising in cyclone season.

But yes, as others have said Australia is very multicultural, with people from all over the world living here. I'm not sure how you knew they were all Chinese though, if they live here and are citizens, we just call them Australian ;)

There were not many announcements on my recent RCI cruise , just the one per day from the Captain and then CD.

Yes, Australia is very multi-cultural and we have always been part of Asia , but it became official in 2007 (with the Socceroos moving from Oceania to the Asian confederation).:p

We are called OZsia.

Hi. They could be Chines or Japanese or Koreans but we're probably just Australians.

Do you remember what time you had to be back on board by/when the last tender was? It says we are in Airlie Beach 8am - 6pm but wasn't sure what last tender was. Thanks

The last tender is normally at least 3/4-1/2 an hour before departure, I would say it would be 5.15-5.30pm. Best to check with the cruise line though, and definitely confirm on the day.:D

Edited by MicCanberra