Journey May 7 Med Cruise

kupkab

We are booked on this cruise leaving from Civitavecchia to Barcelona. Some friends have decided to book it, too. When they tried to book it, it was not available because of "inventory adjustment". When you look on line, that cruise is no longer listed. Apparently, there is a large corporate charter they are working on for this cruise. Our travel agent is checking on it for us, but no more info yet. Is anyone else booked on this cruise?

We are booked on this cruise leaving from Civitavecchia to Barcelona. Some friends have decided to book it, too. When they tried to book it, it was not available because of "inventory adjustment". When you look on line, that cruise is no longer listed. Apparently, there is a large corporate charter they are working on for this cruise. Our travel agent is checking on it for us, but no more info yet. Is anyone else booked on this cruise?

We were not booked on this cruise but had planned to book on it as soon as dates of some business trips were confirmed. That would mean both ships are chartered at the same time over an English Bank holiday - drat! You are correct it is not available for booking now but was recently when we priced it all up

If it is a charter, that's a late charter as people may already have flights and hotels booked

• 2 weeks later...

This cruise has officially been canceled!! It is now a charter. We are very disappointed, and we have canceled the second half of our b2b cruise, also. We booked because the first week because the itinerary was perfect. We made it a b2b so that we had a longer cruise. There was no reason to go ahead with the second week now. This was to be our second cruise with Azamara. We cruised with them in Feb. on a Calif. coastal cruise and loved it. We were really looking forward to cruising with them again. This has left a bad taste in our mouth. If we ever do try Az. again, I would never book far in advance. We booked a year ahead, and I don't consider that to be all that far ahead. This cruise was canceled 9 months out.

This cruise has officially been canceled!! It is now a charter. We are very disappointed, and we have canceled the second half of our b2b cruise, also. We booked because the first week because the itinerary was perfect. We made it a b2b so that we had a longer cruise. There was no reason to go ahead with the second week now. This was to be our second cruise with Azamara. We cruised with them in Feb. on a Calif. coastal cruise and loved it. We were really looking forward to cruising with them again. This has left a bad taste in our mouth. If we ever do try Az. again, I would never book far in advance. We booked a year ahead, and I don't consider that to be all that far ahead. This cruise was canceled 9 months out.

You must be very disappointed at the cancellation of your cruise. I sympathise.

Am I correct that this means that during that week both Azamara vessels are on charter? It must be very lucrative business to have neither vessel available to regular paying passengers at that time.

Obviously have no idea how many people are affected by this but would have thought many cabins would already have been sold just nine months out.

Does anyone else find this a little puzzling?

It is quite worrying we have committed to two 2016 cruises and next year will have to book flights to go with them, the inconvenience not to mention financial loss and disappointment if these were suddenly to disappear for the sake of charters would certainly taint our Azamara experience.

Looking on the Azamara web site there is a Charter brochure available and a sales department dedicated to charters, is this the way Azamara is going? It's obviously a lucrative business and attractive to RCI but what will be unacceptable as customers is if Azamara turns into a charter cruise line that fills in with paying customers when they can't charter their ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is quite worrying we have committed to two 2016 cruises and next year will have to book flights to go with them, the inconvenience not to mention financial loss and disappointment if these were suddenly to disappear for the sake of charters would certainly taint our Azamara experience.

Looking on the Azamara web site there is a Charter brochure available and a sales department dedicated to charters, is this the way Azamara is going? It's obviously a lucrative business and attractive to RCI but what will be unacceptable as customers is if Azamara turns into a charter cruise line that fills in with paying customers when they can't charter their ships.

We booked a B2B for September 2016 on the Quest when on board the ship this past July. The cruises are no longer available and we are waiting to hear that Azamara formally chartered the ship. If Azamara can cancel a cruise 9 months out for charters that we will have to seriously think about booking them again.

We booked a B2B for September 2016 on the Quest when on board the ship this past July. The cruises are no longer available and we are waiting to hear that Azamara formally chartered the ship. If Azamara can cancel a cruise 9 months out for charters that we will have to seriously think about booking them again.

I agree. Chartering 9 months out is deplorable. After this and the Guatemala thread, we will not be booking for the 2016 cruise we are currently exploring. Way to risky.

In fairness Azamara is not the only line to charter out ships, Oceania and Seabourn both have charter sections on their web sites and P&O UK often have short charters on some of their ships. Main problem is the change from schedule to charter at comparatively short notice disappointing customers who have already booked and made possibly non-cancellable arrangements.

Just curious...when Azamara cancels a cruise less than a year out, there are many of us who are super-planners who will have already made airline reservations and perhaps even booked non-refundable hotels.. What kind of compensation does Azamara make for that?

This really is a bad sign for those interested in booking Azamara cruises. Chartering appears to be the future for Azamara.

It is a bad sign. I think it's really a shame. I can understand some charters but honestly...I think they're doing far too many charters. I guess there isn't any point at looking for cruises for next year. Who knows what they'll do. :eek: :rolleyes:

What happens to their loyal customers? :mad: SMH!

For a cruiseline with only two ships these charters can really stuff things up. Next year's Quest charters are a case in point. It seems the way they are going, but I don't like it very much. Time for another ship please RCCL!

Phil

Nice thought but do you really think that will happen?

I looked at both ship's itineraries for 2015. Quest has many sold out cruises...I assume those are all the charters.

Why am I still seeing the Journey May 7 and it's not listed as sold out, as some are. :confused:

It's been mentioned for some time and the strength in the message from the ship has been louder of late (if that means anything!). Perhaps these blocking out of dates for the existing fleet is a sign that things are moving. I wish I knew, but if the last few cruises on Journey are anything to go by then Azamara are very successful in repeat business and that's got to be a good thing. I'd feel much more comfortable of the future if another ship were added. There is a lot of World to cover!

Phil

It's been mentioned for some time and the strength in the message from the ship has been louder of late (if that means anything!). Perhaps these blocking out of dates for the existing fleet is a sign that things are moving. I wish I knew, but if the last few cruises on Journey are anything to go by then Azamara are very successful in repeat business and that's got to be a good thing. I'd feel much more comfortable of the future if another ship were added. There is a lot of World to cover!

Phil

Hi Phil,

It would be wonderful to see Azamara order a new ship or two. Why it hasn't happened yet, is IMO very puzzling, as Azamara claims to be doing well, yet they can't seem to get the go ahead on a ship order from parent RCCL. Last week, TUI ordered 2 new ships, yet we sit here and wait for Azamara news. Very strange.

I'm also disappointed that Azamara chartered Journey, about 9 months from the 2015 sailing date. As the Azamara faithful are aware, I defended Azamara for their 2016 charters, but I feel this one is cutting it too close, and must be extremely disappointing for those booked. With that said, this is a business, and profits are what will get Azamara their new ships (you would think ?), so I suppose we must bite our lips, and deal with any short term disappointments... especially if it makes Azamara stronger over the long term.

I'm very curious to see if the charter pattern continues.

Edited by Host Andy

I've been following this thread with some dismay. We have a September 2015 cruise booked and were planning to arrange our flights as soon as the schedules are released so that we could take advantage of frequent flyer points. But if Azamara is canceling cruises for charters only 9 months out, it give us pause. I've also been thinking that since these charters are so profitable (and are being increased) that, indeed, Azamara may be heading down the road as being a mostly charter cruiseline...hence no new builds. I do hope I'm wrong...the poll on future destinations got me drooling!

mare

I've been following this thread with some dismay. We have a September 2015 cruise booked and were planning to arrange our flights as soon as the schedules are released so that we could take advantage of frequent flyer points. But if Azamara is canceling cruises for charters only 9 months out, it give us pause. I've also been thinking that since these charters are so profitable (and are being increased) that, indeed, Azamara may be heading down the road as being a mostly charter cruiseline...hence no new builds. I do hope I'm wrong...the poll on future destinations got me drooling!

mare

This was the reason for my previous question...I will be able to book my air in about a month for my cruise next August...surely there will be some compensation for my loss if they cancel the cruise?

I am not booking anything with Azamara past what I have for 2016. I agree. Too risky. I plan two years out

I don't want to plan and then have charters replace my cruise.

On a separate note , other than understandable wishful thinking what makes anyone think a third ship is coming? I have not read anything to support that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This was the reason for my previous question...I will be able to book my air in about a month for my cruise next August...surely there will be some compensation for my loss if they cancel the cruise?

If you're not booked through Choice Air, I doubt very much that Azamara would compensate. Travel insurance might help (if it is one that covers cruiseline cancelations) but it too is several hundred dollars out of pocket. This whole thing is extremely unsettling. I guess if worse came to worst and we had air but no cruise, we'd just make a land vacation out of it. Not what we wanted but there might not be any alternative.

mare

If you use FF points and for whatever reason the cruise doesn't go ahead can't you get the points back and pay a small admin fee to the airline? Not sure of the rules you are bound by, but that is what I can do with British Airways and it does add flexibility.

Phil

We are terribly disappointed! We do have Hotels booked and lots of other stuff and just today got a notice from our TA that this cruise is cancelled..it was dated 8/4 and on 7/31 Azamara told her that absolutely NOT there was NO group going on this cruise it was just full because everyone took advantage of their specials.

If we had only been advised sooner and directly would have been nice. We booked another trip yesterday (not a cruise) and opeted to not book the addition due to this AZ cruise. Now it is too late to book that as the airfare was booked and there is a penalty. Really bummed out.

This was to be our second Azamara cruise and we had liked it in the past..sorry..but never again now. SO disappointed.

Glad they can do so well with the charters..but nine months out? Come on..

Sherry & Kimber Smith

mare

I also have a b2b on Journey in Sept 2015 AND I booked a transatlantic on Seabourn to return home. I have not done flights yet -- will likely use miles and the cancellation penalty is not that bad if I cancel the flight -- but I would just book something else NOW if I knew the cruises I booked were going to disappear.

What recourse/method do we have to confirm that cruises we have booked are going forward?? I am really concerned about being left hanging.

If you use FF points and for whatever reason the cruise doesn't go ahead can't you get the points back and pay a small admin fee to the airline? Not sure of the rules you are bound by, but that is what I can do with British Airways and it does add flexibility.

Phil

We were planning to use a combination of points and pay for the flights..I don't know what the rules are if we cancel. We're certainly going to check that out! Let's hope we don't have to.

So sorry, Kimber and Sherry, that your plans are all messed up. The on board experience is so wonderful but I don't blame you for being put off.

When we first cruised with Azamara we noticed that the ship was not sold out. (Made for an even better experience for those on board, though.) And there are still lots of cabins available for our 2015 sailing, so (to play devil's advocate) who could blame Azamara if there was an opportunity to charter and sell out the cruise. The downside for Azamara may be that a lot of potential returning customers will think "once burned, twice shy."

mare

Every airline is different regarding the cancellation of mileage flights.

If you have super elite status (e.g. Delta Diamond) -- there is no penalty at all. Your points are just redeposited.

On United, e.g., there are two fee levels -- one for canceling and another for rebooking to a different flight (penalty is lower -- I think $150 per ticket).

I once cancelled a BA Avios flight. I don't think there was any penalty at all.

If you have an Amex Platinum card, some of these fees are covered if you chose the particular airline for your bonus.

You really have to check with the airline.

Some reps can be nicer than others. If you tell the story about the cancellation of the cruise, the rep MIGHT make an exception.