Has anyone ever parked at Best Western Plus downtown San Pedro?

calisilent

I reserved a stay and park package at the Best Western Plus in downtown San Pedro for our October cruise out of Los Angeles. I was curious if anyone here has ever used that service of staying overnight pre-cruise and then leaving the car parked at the hotel all week while you're gone? Is the car secure? Is it safer at the cruise port? The price was good for the convenience package, but I don't want to come back from Mexico to find an unhappy surprise.

I reserved a stay and park package at the Best Western Plus in downtown San Pedro for our October cruise out of Los Angeles. I was curious if anyone here has ever used that service of staying overnight pre-cruise and then leaving the car parked at the hotel all week while you're gone? Is the car secure? Is it safer at the cruise port? The price was good for the convenience package, but I don't want to come back from Mexico to find an unhappy surprise.

The biggest complaint I've read on CC about this hotel, if this is on Gaffey St, is the location. You don't want to be walking around at night.

The biggest complaint I've read on CC about this hotel, if this is on Gaffey St, is the location. You don't want to be walking around at night.

Joe you took the words right out of my mouth. :p

I looked at a map to confirm its location and it's less than half a mile from a housing project but so is the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Although I'd feel safer walking around downtown San Pedro by the Crowne Plaza then at the Best Western Plus on Gaffey Street.

Satellite views of the Best Western appear to show underground parking & if it's considerably less than the Crowne Plaza or our preferred Doubletree Inn Cabrillo Beach, then I'd consider the BW. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking on Gaffey Street at night but there are worse areas in LA than SP which is relatively crime free.

Calisilent...I'd suggest comparing the price for all 3 hotels & I prefer the Doubletree which is on a small boat marina in a quieter part of San Pedro. Parking has increased at the cruise terminal from $12 per day to $16 per day so a hotel package that includes free parking would probably be your best option & is what I would do. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree would rather be in the downtown area. It's a bit more upscale. Gaffey St seems a bit rough. :)

Trust me...your perception is accurate.

One time post-cruise we took Aussie friends around LA before their midnight flight & they needed to go to CVS on Gaffey...I was even more cautious than usual in that neighborhood. Although as I previously posted there are areas in LA that are potentially much more dangerous than SP.

I agree would rather be in the downtown area. It's a bit more upscale. Gaffey St seems a bit rough. :)

So I called the Doubletree and asked about the cruise parking package. It includes a made to order breakfast and transportation to and from the cruise terminal. The rate is $209.00 before tax. Only $19 more than Best Western, so for peace of mind I booked at Doubletree and canceled BW.

Thank you for the information. :)

We have parked our car there and stayed there. If it's the same one that's near the sea village. We had no problems there and they shuttled us to the ship. There's also a restaurant there. We haven't used that particular hotel in a long time, but was visiting there recently. We wouldn't have any issue leaving our car there.

We have parked our car there and stayed there. If it's the same one that's near the sea village. We had no problems there and they shuttled us to the ship. There's also a restaurant there. We haven't used that particular hotel in a long time, but was visiting there recently. We wouldn't have any issue leaving our car there.

If by "sea village" you're referring to the Ports of Call Village then the Crowne Plaza is that hotel. While the BW is not far from the CP, as I posted the BW on Gaffey is a much different area.

So I called the Doubletree and asked about the cruise parking package. It includes a made to order breakfast and transportation to and from the cruise terminal. The rate is $209.00 before tax. Only $19 more than Best Western, so for peace of mind I booked at Doubletree and canceled BW.

Thank you for the information. :)

I know the area & it would give me more "peace of mind". ;)

Going to Mexico your cruise is probably at least a week long & parking at the cruise terminal would cost $112.

If you're looking for a place to eat, the 22nd Street Landing restaurant is near the Doubletree for a nice sitdown meal overlooking a boat harbor. The Ports of Call Village has reasonably priced food (lots of fresh seafood) counters where you get your order & eat on indoor tables. If you want a Mexican sitdown restaurant there is an Acupulco in Ports of Call Village.

'calisilent'...I forgot to mention our shuttle experience & maybe a few things for you to consider.

Upon arriving at the hotel reserve a time for the shuttle to the cruise terminal. If the time is later than you want to go, you could drop off one person with the luggage at the ship & have the other person take the shuttle later. That worked well for us & it wasn't a problem for my wife checking in after me.

Returning all hotel shuttles appeared to be crowded with passengers & luggage resulting in some delay getting on the shuttle. Next time one of us would take the shuttle without any bags & then drive back to the cruise terminal to pick up the other person with our bags.

That's merely our experience but it's how we'd do it the next time. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have been staying at the Crown Plaza for the past 4 years or so. The restaurant has definitely seen a decline. Dec 2014 was the worse. First I waited 10 minutes for valet and no one ever came out...had to go to the main desk to do that. Waited 15 for my iced tea. After 45 minutes I had to ask where my shrimp Caesar salad was. (Once I had my iced tea that was it for spotting a server). The server told me they ran out of shrimp and were looking for more. I got up and left. (The people by me had waited 1 hour for their entree). Luckily the assistant manager took pity on me and gave me a sandwich and chips and a 7-up from their snack locker. The beds used to be nice and comfy and so tall had to jump into them, this time different mattresses that weren't as comfy. Then on my return, only 2 of us on the shuttle, had to wait another 20 min for my car. Doubt if I will ever return to there.

All happened after the night before at Harris Ranch and the horrible adventure there (was put out I. The boondocks where the rooms are for customers and their pets. Let's just say between the allergy, the barking dogs, and a clerk that was in serious need of an attitude adjustment....it was not good).

However, I slept so well the first night of the cruise. Between the gentle rocking and my exhaustion, I slept until 9 which is late for me).

I am not a picky person by any means, but that last visit was just horrible that I told my TA we have to find another hotel.

I'm going to check out the Doubletree.

Grace

Edited by LoveThisCruisingThing

I have been staying at the Crown Plaza for the past 4 years or so. The restaurant has definitely seen a decline. Dec 2014 was the worse. First I waited 10 minutes for valet and no one ever came out...had to go to the main desk to do that. Waited 15 for my iced tea. After 45 minutes I had to ask where my shrimp Caesar salad was. (Once I had my iced tea that was it for spotting a server). The server told me they ran out of shrimp and were looking for more. I got up and left. (The people by me had waited 1 hour for their entree). Luckily the assistant manager took pity on me and gave me a sandwich and chips and a 7-up from their snack locker. The beds used to be nice and comfy and so tall had to jump into them, this time different mattresses that weren't as comfy. Then on my return, only 2 of us on the shuttle, had to wait another 20 min for my car. Doubt if I will ever return to there.

All happened after the night before at Harris Ranch and the horrible adventure there (was put out I. The boondocks where the rooms are for customers and their pets. Let's just say between the allergy, the barking dogs, and a clerk that was in serious need of an attitude adjustment....it was not good).

However, I slept so well the first night of the cruise. Between the gentle rocking and my exhaustion, I slept until 9 which is late for me).

I am not a picky person by any means, but that last visit was just horrible that I told my TA we have to find another hotel.

Grace

Grace,

That is so sad that you had all that trouble! It's hard to know what you are going to get with a hotel experience. My husband says I am worrying too much about choosing the perfect pre cruise hotel when it's only one night, but I really think it matters. It kind of sets the tone for your whole vacation.

I hope you like the Doubletree if you get that one next.

Cali

Grace

:(I hate to be the one telling you this but I actually thought you were describing the Doubletree. We have been staying there pre-cruise for over 9 years, we love to watch the ships come into port. It changed management about 3 years ago and ever since the cleanliness, service and food have been going downhill. The last time we stayed in Oct. 2014 there was actually mold in the AC/heater vents in our room. We were planning on trying the Crowne for our next cruise, now I'm not sure what to do:confused::confused::confused:

Edited by BarbaraP

:(I hate to be the one telling you this but I actually thought you were describing the Doubletree. We have been staying there pre-cruise for over 9 years, we love to watch the ships come into port. It changed management about 3 years ago and ever since the cleanliness, service and food have been going downhill. The last time we stayed in Oct. 2014 there was actually mold in the AC/heater vents in our room. We were planning on trying the Crowne for our next cruise, now I'm not sure what to do:confused::confused::confused:

We have stayed at the Crowne several times and never had a bad experience there.:)

We have stayed at the Crowne several times and never had a bad experience there.:)

Change of plan!

After much deliberation and calculating, I have decided that my parents and husband and I will stay at the Best Western On Gaffey Street. No parking package, though. We will stay at the hotel, drive to the Village port for a great dinner at a seaside restaurant. Drive back to the beautiful hotel for a lovely night's sleep, NOT WALK AROUND Gaffey Street at night, drive to a cafe for breakfast, stop at a CVS for sundries and wine on the way to parking at the Princess cruise port.

Tally: $125.00 each for two rooms including taxes, and $112.00 for the week of parking at the cruise port. Total: $362.00

Doubletree 2 rooms with parking and transportation to the port: $487.00

It was a no brainier. I'm happy with my decision:)

Change of plan!

After much deliberation and calculating, I have decided that my parents and husband and I will stay at the Best Western On Gaffey Street. No parking package, though. We will stay at the hotel, drive to the Village port for a great dinner at a seaside restaurant. Drive back to the beautiful hotel for a lovely night's sleep, NOT WALK AROUND Gaffey Street at night, drive to a cafe for breakfast, stop at a CVS for sundries and wine on the way to parking at the Princess cruise port.

Tally: $125.00 each for two rooms including taxes, and $112.00 for the week of parking at the cruise port. Total: $362.00

Doubletree 2 rooms with parking and transportation to the port: $487.00

It was a no brainier. I'm happy with my decision:)

That's great that you found the best plan for your family...thanks for the update & have a great vacation! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for the nearest hotel to the L.A. cruise port in San Pedro.

This is for a couple who, because of religious reasons, must be able to stay in a hotel on Friday night and walk to the cruise port on Saturday.

I seem to remember that there was a small Hotel/Motel on Harbor Blvd that was within walking distance but can't seem to find it again.

I am looking for the nearest hotel to the L.A. cruise port in San Pedro.

This is for a couple who, because of religious reasons, must be able to stay in a hotel on Friday night and walk to the cruise port on Saturday.

I seem to remember that there was a small Hotel/Motel on Harbor Blvd that was within walking distance but can't seem to find it again.

Here is a list of hotels

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/hotlodg.htm