Boarding Passes

lesley_willis1971

Not a very experienced flyer here. I have an upcoming flight on Oct 29th. We are flying out of DFW to Newark and from there to Rome. How do I get my boarding passes? Or are the E-tickets all I need? Also, do I have to pick up my luggage at Newark and recheck it since that leg is a international flight?

Both flights are United.

Using your UA confirmation number, you can check in online on UA's webpage, beginning 24 hours before your flight. However, you may find you can't do online check in, as this is an international flight. You may have to wait until you get to the airport. It will require you to enter the passport information for all passengers.

If it allows to to complete check in, it will give you the option then of printing your boarding passes or they can send them to your cell phone. You can also print them at the airport.

Your bags will be checked through to Rome.

Edited by 6rugrats

They will also ask if you wish to provide an emergency contact. You can decline, but if you wish to do so, it helps speed things along if you have the information already handy on a sheet of paper.

Also, you will need to show your passport at the gate in Newark as you board the aircraft. So don't bury it deep in a zippered pocket of the carryon at that time.

They will also ask if you wish to provide an emergency contact. You can decline, but if you wish to do so, it helps speed things along if you have the information already handy on a sheet of paper.

I've never been asked for this on any international flight with UA. Now, watch OP get asked.

14 CFR Part 243.

For international flights, passengers must be asked if they wish to give an emergency contact. They are not required to provide one, but the airline must inquire.

Perhaps it's just there in your UA FF profile. I know that DL asks for one from me every time I make an international flight, even to Canada.

I've never been asked for this on any international flight with UA. Now, watch OP get asked.

I just have mine in my passenger profile and don't recall every being asked again, but it is there along with my passport number, GE number and such.

14 CFR Part 243.

For international flights, passengers must be asked if they wish to give an emergency contact. They are not required to provide one, but the airline must inquire.

Perhaps it's just there in your UA FF profile. I know that DL asks for one from me every time I make an international flight, even to Canada.

This is news to me. Not once have I ever been asked this, and I have taken many international flights.

14 CFR Part 243.

American asks me every time even though my wife's info is in my profile as my emergency contact

Using your UA confirmation number, you can check in online on UA's webpage, beginning 24 hours before your flight. However, you may find you can't do online check in, as this is an international flight. You may have to wait until you get to the airport. It will require you to enter the passport information for all passengers.

If it allows to to complete check in, it will give you the option then of printing your boarding passes or they can send them to your cell phone. You can also print them at the airport.

Your bags will be checked through to Rome.

Just to echo what has been said here... If your passport has not been "swiped" by United recently, it is likely you will get a message that you need to check in at the airport. However, by all means do try to check in online at the 24 hour mark.

Just to echo what has been said here... If your passport has not been "swiped" by United recently, it is likely you will get a message that you need to check in at the airport. However, by all means do try to check in online at the 24 hour mark.

If you have the United APP (mine is the iPhone version) you can swipe your passport using the app and check in using the APP. It involves a simple picture of your passport and uploading it.

Did it on my last flight and worked perfectly.

If you have the United APP (mine is the iPhone version) you can swipe your passport using the app and check in using the APP. It involves a simple picture of your passport and uploading it.

Wow! I wish American would use that technology. I have a bit of airline jealousy now.

Wow! I wish American would use that technology. I have a bit of airline jealousy now.

Supposedly a trial but I hope permanent. United uses the last scanned as the passport of choice. I used to have to wait to do a normal airport check-in. Now with this feature allows me to chose which passport to use. Important as check-in time is a tie breaker for upgrades,

Thanks for that reminder, I had forgotten about it!

I actually used it on my last international trip on United. Very slick.

Ok, I know this question will probably sound foolish.....but....how does one "swipe" their passport on their phone??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How do I get my boarding passes? Or are the E-tickets all I need?

An e-ticket will not get you on a plane; you need an actual boarding pass for that. You cannot get a boarding pass until you atually check in for the flight. As already stated, you may or may not be able to check in online 24 hours ahead, and boarding passes can be paper (printed at home or printed at the airport) or electronic. :)

Ok, I know this question will probably sound foolish.....but....how does one "swipe" their passport on their phone??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's not a "swipe" per se. You use your smartphone's camera to take a photograph of your passport (the page with your photo and other data). The app uploads the photo and converts the information to the applicable data fields in the United system.

Again, this is for United. I don't know if any other carriers have this functionality yet.