Luggage Weight & International Flights

lesley_willis1971

HaHa! Good one. Guess that is why my DH and I did not get slapped with and extra charge returning from our recent long Seabourn cruise.

As to weight limits--- I try to limit my bag to 45 pounds because I have found the check in scales ( usually United and Lufthansa) to be highly inconsistent.on this recent trip going to Europe my "45 pound" bag weighed 48 pounds. Coming home ( no shopping and exact same items )the bag weighed 20 killgrams(45 pounds).

I must say that as with other posters I am also confused as to why someone cannot fit a full and complete travel wardrobe in a less than 50 lb bag. On this recent month long trip that included cool weather, rainy weather , hot weather, and formal nights, I was able to bring four pairs of pants, 9 tops, two long sweaters, one pair of shorts, a rain coat, three scarves,two belts,exercise gear,a bathing suit and cover up, nine dressy dresses and one long gown as well as 5 pairs of shoes and the requisite undergarments. My DH's bag included four pairs of pants, a pair of shorts, exercise gear, bathing suit, two zip sweaters, a rain jacket, three polo shirts, six long sleeved shirts, four ties, a suit, two sport coats and two pairs of shoes, eight pairs of socks, two belts, and his underwear.Each of our bags also included--- me a three pound make up bag and he a four pound toiletry bag.Our 17x17 carry on bags included books/iPad, ear phones, neck roll, change of underwear, jewelry, a pashmina, , medicine,power bars, small flashlight, travel umbrellas , travel scale,adapters and charging devices, and a folder containing papers pertaining to the trip. I am providing the details because so often people think that you have to really limit your wardrobe in order to be under the weight limit. Very good advice has been provided on this thread, " watch the ounces" ( if I am torn between two items the lightest one almost always wins out), "wear your heaviest shoes/ jacket( you might appreciate the warmth as we are usually cold on planes -- but I must say if your heaviest shoes are lace ups you may want to pack them and wear slip ins instead to make security easier), transfer toiletries to travel size containers or buy some items at you destination. It is possible to be well dressed, prepared for whatever weather you encounter, and clean with one 50 lb bag even if you are gone for a month and will need both dressy and casual clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was weighed once for a flight!!! It was a flight from SJU to STT on a "commuter" flight TWA (remember them) booked for us. The plane was a Grumman Turbo Mallard. Everyone was weighed and assigned a seat based on the weight so they could have the plane balanced out… This was in 1989/90. We had been booked on Eastern, but then went into bankruptcy right before our trip and we had to scramble to find flights from the Mountain West to STT….

To each their own of course, but I would never want to travel with more than a single 40-50 pound checked bag plus carry-on. It would be a big mental and physical burden on enjoyment of the trip and make me feel like a tourist instead of a traveler.

On the passenger weight comments....when bag fees started kicking in around 2008, the airlines claimed it was due to the extra fuel burn. If that were *really* the reason, I thought it would make sense to weigh passengers with their bags and allow 250 pounds total.

Edited by kenish

To each their own of course, but I would never want to travel with more than a single 40-50 pound checked bag plus carry-on. It would be a big mental and physical burden on enjoyment of the trip and make me feel like a tourist instead of a traveler.

On the passenger weight comments....when bag fees started kicking in around 2008, the airlines claimed it was due to the extra fuel burn. If that were *really* the reason, I thought it would make sense to weigh passengers with their bags and allow 250 pounds total.

Yeah, but that would cause a LOT of discrimination lawsuits and accusations from those who were heavier.

Each person's needs are different. Just one bag for a trip including a cruise, during which someone may use athletic wear, casual wear, even a suit, would be tough. For others, not a problem.

Airlines do estimate average weights for adults and children. Those have gone up as people in many countries, such as the U.S., have become heavier (and not all muscle). Weighing individual passengers could be a logical idea, but would not only take lots of time (with passengers declaring they know their true weight), but new types of scales would need to be installed by airlines, and there'd be outrage by many, charging discrimination. Disputes with airline check-in agents re baggage weight can be tense enough. Imagine if one is arguing about individual body weight.

Back to OP: you know your bag is overweight. Maybe you'll slide by, but maybe not. Some guess you'll probably be okay, but it's only a guess. They won't pay the fee if you are charged. You will. Some airlines, even individual agents, can be tougher than others on this (we know from experience; even in biz class). Good thing you know the weight now. Considering the total you will spend on the flight, cruise, etc., you have to decide how onerous those extra fees are to you. If they are a big deal, cut back on the weight.

Similar questions are regularly asked re bag size.

Edited by Fattony

Fattony,

Sorry but I still don't buy the argument that you need more than 50 pounds for a long cruise. The reason I listed everything we packed on our recent trip was to show the naysayers it can be easily done --- note the list included formal wear, athletic wear and everything in between. What more would someone need to pack? When I travel I want to be fashionable, comfortable and appropriately dressed. We are not talking about bare minimums here --- ie. one knit wonder dress that can be worn ten different ways ,etc.. Many good ideas have posted here on how to decide what to pack and what not to pack. And I very much agree --- heavy luggage can end up being a major constraint. Suddenly you are having to limit yourself to trains cars level with platforms, stations with escalators, hotels with elevators, and on and on.

Fattony,

Sorry but I still don't buy the argument that you need more than 50 pounds for a long cruise. The reason I listed everything we packed on our recent trip was to show the naysayers it can be easily done --- note the list included formal wear, athletic wear and everything in between. What more would someone need to pack? When I travel I want to be fashionable, comfortable and appropriately dressed. We are not talking about bare minimums here --- ie. one knit wonder dress that can be worn ten different ways ,etc.. Many good ideas have posted here on how to decide what to pack and what not to pack. And I very much agree --- heavy luggage can end up being a major constraint. Suddenly you are having to limit yourself to trains cars level with platforms, stations with escalators, hotels with elevators, and on and on.

This. I've done a 3 week trip in Europe in the winter with one checked bag and my daypack. One week was purely business, so business attire was needed. The other 2 weeks were outdoor activities and skiing (rented skis & boots at the resort), so other clothes were needed. Modes of travel during this trip included planes, trains and a small car for 2 people. Nothing different about doing a multi-week trip including a cruise…

Fattony,

There is no argument, only preference. I don't care what others pack, it's not my business. I can pack light, medium, or heavy -- depending on a host of variables. And yes, I fully understand the consequences of each choice.

Right off the bat you can get an extra .7 of a pound by realizing the limit is 23kg (50.7lbs) and not 50lbs.

A checkin counter in Rome (or anywhere other than the 3 countries that aren't metric - Liberia, Myanmar or USA) isn't going to have a scale marked in pounds.

Right off the bat you can get an extra .7 of a pound by realizing the limit is 23kg (50.7lbs) and not 50lbs.

A checkin counter in Rome (or anywhere other than the 3 countries that aren't metric - Liberia, Myanmar or USA) isn't going to have a scale marked in pounds.

You assume everyone is flying a Euro carrier. This is not the case with most domestic UD flights.

I have never seen anyone who was 10+ lbs over not get charged. Was this person a frequent flyer with elite level status in their airline? 1 or 2 lbs... maybe but certainly not guaranteed. 3 lbs over? I would absolutely expect to pay. And here's the thing... even if United lets you slide by on the way over, that is absolutely no indication that Lufthansa will do the same on the return, and all the "but on the way over....." arguments will get you no where.

Don't want to come across as rude but honestly- if you are taking 51 lbs of stuff PLUS a carry on, you probably have too much. Rethink what you're packing. Base everyone on one neutral color so you can take fewer pairs of shoes. Plan to wear things a few times, and/or pay for laundry to be done onboard; it's cheaper than paying $200 for an overweight bag. Ditch some of the "just in case" toiletries. Forget about taking different jewelry for each outfit.

Do yourself a real favor and take your suitcase weight down to 40 pounds. If you are a woman and have normal (defined as what I could do:p) strength then you will have problems with too heavy a bag and too heavy and bulky a carryon. In Europe you will find: cobblestone streets and sidewalks that are broken up or uneven. less cutouts for crossing the street. More very small elevators and steps up to the lobby or elevator so you end up carrying the bag up the steps more. Huge airports and no porters allowed because of the security requirements. Smaller cars and taxis that a huge suitcase does not fit in (real problem for us in that we travel as party of 3) even my 25 inch bag is sometimes a problem on cabs. Mind the gap -- getting bags on and off public transportation. Sometimes when traveling you have to lug it yourself and you must be able to manage it --- you hurt your arm, shoulder, or back and your long awaited vacation is a bust.

Whenever I start to say just one more thing -- I take my fully loaded suitcase and go for a walk in the neighborhood. Usually half way through my mile I figure out what I can do without!:D One thing you can try is to weight your suitcase. Some bags are now down in the 6 pound range and some are in the 15 pound range EMPTY so that is a big difference. Perhaps a duffel bag with wheels or a polycarbonate bag would help (I don't like clamshells because hard to open --have to put on bed)

Good luck. I do know the problem well and I do struggle with it each and every time. The best trips are the ones that I have to drag less weight on. OH and once you weigh your suitcase put absolutely NOTHING else in -- somehow 10 pounds can jump in the suitcase when I'm not looking.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

You assume everyone is flying a Euro carrier. This is not the case with most domestic UD flights.

What makes you think I assumed Euro? I said...

Kudo's to those that can fly out with only one luggage bag...my problem is usually how to get everything I've purchased while traveling home in one bag....I had to buy an extra bag in Shanghai for my return trip home :eek::D

Kudo's to those that can fly out with only one luggage bag...my problem is usually how to get everything I've purchased while traveling home in one bag....I had to buy an extra bag in Shanghai for my return trip home :eek::D

We only buy small items that will easily fit into our bags. In Tahiti we bought nieces and nephews shell necklaces, and I got a strand of black pearls. We brought DS cookies (he always wants sweets from the region) and DH got himself a small bowl made from a shell to use as a soap dish. It all fit into space the size of a quart sized ZipLock.

When we do buy something larger or fragile we have them ship it home.

I would suggest a new lighter weight suitcase or a smaller suitcase and make it work. I had a large suitcase but I always seemed to fill it to 50lbs. I purchased a smaller bag and have had no problems since.

A cautionary tale about your carry on bag. We flew SAS to Copenhagen. The agent was more concerned about the weight of our carry on bag. She deemed it too heavy and we were at the scales moving items to our checked bag. It was a very light carry on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I would suggest a new lighter weight suitcase or a smaller suitcase and make it work. I had a large suitcase but I always seemed to fill it to 50lbs. I purchased a smaller bag and have had no problems since.

A cautionary tale about your carry on bag. We flew SAS to Copenhagen. The agent was more concerned about the weight of our carry on bag. She deemed it too heavy and we were at the scales moving items to our checked bag. It was a very light carry on.

Light by American standards and light by European and other standards are often very different

Do you have any inside knowledge about this, or is this just guessing?

I ask because in the last four or so weeks, I have twice tested scales at Heathrow and London City (yesterday), by weighing bags on one check-in scale and then on another one. In the case of all the bags that I did this with, the two sets of scales read exactly the same, within their precision of 0.1 kg (= 3.5 oz).

A few months ago, I also tested scales at Durban with the same result.

Where have you found scales where 3 lb is the error margin?

Those scales use load cells. I would not trust an load cell (that is not being regularly calibrated) for more than a couple percent (something like 2-3%) the A-D converter in the devices is going to also add some additional inaccuracy. I would be surprised if the airport staff tare the scale on a regular basis to readjust the zero offset. I think you lucky if there are good for 5% of full scale. Full scale is what 100 or 200 lbs. That gives an error margin of something like 5-10lb.

Some public press is also consistent with that assumption:

http://www.independenttraveler.com/blog/index.php/2011/01/20/how-accurate-are-airport-luggage-scales/

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2008-10-26/news/0810250217_1_scales-american-airlines-bag

Edited by em-sk

Worth noting, though, that those articles date from 2008 and (early) 2011. And while of course I don't doubt what's been said by fbgd and Brighton Line, the former's experience was also some years ago.

I don't know whether things have changed in the US, but if it was ever like that in the places where I have recent experience, it certainly isn't like that now. The sort of error that you describe isn't consistent with different scales giving readings that are the same as each other to within a few ounces at most when weighing something in the 50-70 lb range.

And each of the scales in Durban actually had a formal test certificate.

I have a simple hand held luggage scare. It's never failed me at airline check in. I weigh before I go and weigh before I set my luggage outside the door. It has never failed me. Honestly, I'm a tried and true over packer but with every cruise I realized once again I over packed. The good news the next time I t as ke fewer clothes and shoes. If needed there is always laundry service.

Next trip. One checked bag and one small back pack for important carry on items.

Worth noting, though, that those articles date from 2008 and (early) 2011. And while of course I don't doubt what's been said by fbgd and Brighton Line, the former's experience was also some years ago.

I don't know whether things have changed in the US, but if it was ever like that in the places where I have recent experience, it certainly isn't like that now. The sort of error that you describe isn't consistent with different scales giving readings that are the same as each other to within a few ounces at most when weighing something in the 50-70 lb range.

And each of the scales in Durban actually had a formal test certificate.

I don't dispute your experience at Durban.

I would expect the scales to be quite accurate when they are first built and installed and if they are regularly maintained, recalibrated and not abused. I don't think that is the case across the board at every airport. If you ask the checkin agent when was the last time they tarred the scale and they give you a weird look as if it is clear they have no idea what your talking about that is a pretty good indication.

If you ask the checkin agent when was the last time they tarred the scale and they give you a weird look as if it is clear they have no idea what your talking about that is a pretty good indication.
I wouldn't expect a check-in agent to have any idea of when that particular (or any) scale was last maintained or calibrated, any more than I'd expect them to know when the luggage belt machinery had last been lubricated or serviced. It's not their area of responsibility. They might happen to know, incidentally, but I'd expect to get a blank look.