Respecting local customs

Tina G

I recently cruised on the Sapphire Princess to Thailand and Indonsia. There was a very good port adviser on board, and she emphasized that passengers should show respect by wearing conservative clothing which covered shoulders and knees. Yet, there were many passengers climbing on trhe tour bus dressed in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. Their attitude was "You can't tell me what to do!"

I was embarrassed to be in the tour group with these jerks. I saw many locals giving them the side eye. I always try to respect local customs and traditions.

Anybody else bothered by this?

Absolutely! It's too bad some people can't be bothered to either learn a country's customs. Why are they traveling at all?

One day, that attitude could get them in serious trouble. Also, this type of behavior is what causes problems with other countries and or cultures. It's called "the ugly American" syndrome although it can apply to other nationalities...

Absolutely! It's too bad some people can't be bothered to either learn a country's customs. Why are they traveling at all?

One day, that attitude could get them in serious trouble. Also, this type of behavior is what causes problems with other countries and or cultures. It's called "the ugly American" syndrome although it can apply to other nationalities...

Unfortunately, the people I saw were not Americans, but were from another English speaking country down under.:(

There were many people on board from China. One polite lady told me that they were required to attend etiquette classes in order to take the cruise with their group. They were taught how to use western style bathrooms, tipping practices, dress codes, and other hints how to blend in with western culture. I didn't see any of them in inappropriate clothing on shore!

Edited by Tina G

I recently cruised on the Sapphire Princess to Thailand and Indonsia. There was a very good port adviser on board, and she emphasized that passengers should show respect by wearing conservative clothing which covered shoulders and knees. Yet, there were many passengers climbing on trhe tour bus dressed in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. Their attitude was "You can't tell me what to do!"

I was embarrassed to be in the tour group with these jerks. I saw many locals giving them the side eye. I always try to respect local customs and traditions.

maybe the people you saw that didnt cover up and didnt attend the lecture they wouldnt know unless it was in the patter but some people dress to the weather conditions

I was standing in line under the Eiffel tower waiting for my reservation time. I asked the person in front of me in French if it was the 9:30 line. He looked at me and snapped "English"!

I looked at him, and in English asked him if it was the 9:30 line. He was sort of taken aback! lol

He was from the Midwest, not down under

maybe the people you saw that didnt cover up and didnt attend the lecture they wouldnt know unless it was in the patter but some people dress to the weather conditions

The lecturer was standing at the door where we received our excursion group stickers, and she asked these people to go back and change or bring a cover-up. They point blank refused. I saw this occur several times. The lecturer was American, and she just sighed in disgust.

This is the same attitude displayed by those who choose not to follow the dress guidelines for formal nights in the MDRs.

Respect and "class" are never out of style.

The lecturer was standing at the door where we received our excursion group stickers, and she asked these people to go back and change or bring a cover-up. They point blank refused. I saw this occur several times. The lecturer was American, and she just sighed in disgust.

Too bad the tour leader didn't have the authority or the backbone to refuse their participation on the excursion.

Hi TIna G, we are going on the sapphire in 2weeks to Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, singapore - I have read about covering up shoulders and knees. Will it be appropriate to wear long shorts and tops with sleeves during the day and I will take a wrap and some cotton long pants to go into the temples, mosques? I also may wear summer dresses and put the pants under when needed - the dresses are not strappy.

My partner is going to wear those pants that zip off and become shorts.

I am looking forward to this trip and we always take our good clothes to go to dinner and it is one time I can take that "formal" dress. I know lots of people don't dress for dinner anymore but we enjoy that side of the cruise.

Any tips for this trip would be most helpful.

Robin

Along with respecting local customs goes respect the local customs for tipping or not tipping.

Too many times people will tip in a non-tipping society. To do so is an insult.

Not necessarily. I know an Australian bartender who just loves American tourists. She gets paid her (to us large wage) and still gets to keep the tips. Best of both worlds for her.

Along with respecting local customs goes respect the local customs for tipping or not tipping.

Too many times people will tip in a non-tipping society. To do so is an insult.

In Singapore, we are generally a non-tipping society. However, if you tip, the service staff will be grateful. Definitely tipping will not be seen as an insult, at least in Singapore.

I can't speak for other countries and cultures.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

This is the same attitude displayed by those who choose not to follow the dress guidelines for formal nights in the MDRs.

Respect and "class" are never out of style.

Please don't confuse the MDR's suggested dress with respect for visiting another country and their customs.

Hi TIna G, we are going on the sapphire in 2weeks to Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, singapore - I have read about covering up shoulders and knees. Will it be appropriate to wear long shorts and tops with sleeves during the day and I will take a wrap and some cotton long pants to go into the temples, mosques? I also may wear summer dresses and put the pants under when needed - the dresses are not strappy.

My partner is going to wear those pants that zip off and become shorts.

I am looking forward to this trip and we always take our good clothes to go to dinner and it is one time I can take that "formal" dress. I know lots of people don't dress for dinner anymore but we enjoy that side of the cruise.

Any tips for this trip would be most helpful.

Robin

Hi Robin,

I have just disembarked the Sapphire Princess, looks to be the same ports you will go to:)

We are from downunder but were not on the OP's cruise ;)

I had booked private tours for our CC group, our guides had emailed us prior explaining dresscodes, although we knew the drill having travelled Asia frequently.

Tops with sleeves, no singlet/ shoulders showing, no low cut revealing tops. Long shorts for men, knee length fine. Long shorts for women, no knees showing. One of our group had above knee shorts and could not go into the buddist temple in Vung Tau.

We wear walking /hiking sandal, easily removable.

I also take a sarong in the case I need to cover up more.

Re dress in the MDR's. We found the first part of our 11 night cruise (first 4 nights) all sorts of dress was allowed in the dining room. We dress appropriately, but saw shorts, singlets, flip flops etc When I questioned this I was told that the Asians did not like to dress for dinner and the rules were relaxed. Perhaps as they were on the four nights and didn't bring appropriate clothes..... On the turnaround day (last 7 days) mostly Aussies/Uk/ Canadian/US passengers, the dress code was enforced, and I saw one man being sent back to change out of his shorts. :confused

We follow the dress codes for MDR and formal night, if we don't have appropriate clothes we go to the buffet, others will agree, disagree.....just go and have a great cruise, you will love it!!!

Chez

xx

Edited by cheznandy

Yet, there were many passengers climbing on trhe tour bus dressed in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops.

This is the universal uniform of crew off the ship in ft. lauderdale.

(maybe substitute football jersey for tank top)

If you see someone running across 17th street, in the middle of

the block, wearing flip-flops, it is a good bet that it is crew.

So, aren't the tourists actually showing respect by dressing

similarly?

similarly?

Dressing like this is part of the customs and culture in the US. Just walk in any shopping mall in Florida.

The discussion here is about countries that have a different culture and even some religious sensibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe dress code information should be highlighted with the excursion information with a note that you will be turned away if you are not dressed properly. The woman was wrong in letting them board.

similarly?

Seriously? Uh, no. They are dressing as others do in Ft. Lauderdale, which has nothing to do with their own country. In most Asian countries locals don't wear tank tops, shorts and flip-flops (certainly not in public).

Over time, I think the people in Asian countries are getting more liberal and open.

Take this for example. This is from Vietnam - one of their low cost carriers called Viet Jet Air. Talk about an eye catching marketing campaign.

[YOUTUBE]dSwSsfS2ui4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2