Questions about HAL Transfer from Amsterdam to the Ijmuiden Port

Boiler Cruiser

My wife and I are booked on the Prinsendam next July (2016) sailing from Amsterdam (Ijmuiden). We have arranged a HAL transfer from Amsterdam the morning of embarkation.

I am one who likes to plan well in advance (it adds to the enjoyment and anticipation for me) and I have seen some comments about transfers from Amsterdam to the ship on embarkation day.

I am told that our transfer will leave from the Park Place Victoria Hotel.

Will there be a kiosk where we and the others taking the transfer will meet to get the bus or van?

Will it be marked in any special way?

Otherwise, will we simply meet the bus or van on the curb in front of the hotel?

Again, I have a habit of thinking about this sort of thing well in advance, so I am just curious about the experiences of those of you who have taken HAL transfers from Amsterdam to Ijmuiden.

Thanks!

Edited by Boiler Cruiser

You won't be the only one taking the transfer! There will likely be people arriving from other hotels, as well as passengers who stayed at that hotel.

There will be at least one HAL ground representative, and probably a hospitality desk. The rep will be in a uniform, and will have a HAL clipboard. Look for that person.

They will have your name on a list, will check you in and tell you what to do with your luggage. They will give you the rundown on what's going to happen, where to wait, and will generally keep things running smoothly.

addition to what Ruth said, we were on Prinsendam this summer and had transfers both ways. The bus they used stopped at various airport pickups as well as the hotel where overnights were staying. It was full by the time we got to the ship. The hospitality desk at hotel is where to coordinate if overnighting and there is a rep at the airport if you are going directly from port to ship.

harry

• 1 month later...

We are on the Prinsendam starting June 15, 2016. Thanks for the info on the transfer.

I searched Google Maps for a cruise terminal in Ijmuiden, and it showed me the Felison Cruise Terminal. Is that where the Prinsendam docks? Or is it at a different place?

While we have cruised with HAL many times, this is the first time we have used a PCC. We like to arrive a day or so early to make sure we don't miss the ship. Did you work with your HAL PCC to book a hotel in Amsterdam for the overnight?

Do they give you any choice on the hotel?

Did they also handle the transfer from the airport to the hotel?

We were thinking of staying at the Sheraton at the airport, then catching a transfer from the airport. Has anyone tried to do that?

Greg

The HAL transfer from central Amsterdam to the port is the only viable option. Make your reservations.

I researched this extensively last year, there is no public transportation and this port is in the boonies. It is about 45-55 minutes from central Amsterdam by bus.

There used to be a ferry but it hasn't operated in several years. There is no train like the one in Rome to Civitivecchia. There is a circuitous bus route that involves at least one transfer and you are dropped off in the town, not at the port.

We couldn't find a private transfer company to take us.

We met a couple who had not made prior arrangements and they had to pay a couple hundred Euro to a cabbie to entice him to take them.

Last year there were issues with who can ride the transfer bus, initially it was limited to those staying in a HAL arranged hotel. Then they opened it up to more people but capacity was still limited.

There is a separate transfer operating from the airport.

The HAL transfer from central Amsterdam to the port is the only viable option. Make your reservations.

I researched this extensively last year, there is no public transportation and this port is in the boonies. It is about 45-55 minutes from central Amsterdam by bus.

There used to be a ferry but it hasn't operated in several years. There is no train like the one in Rome to Civitivecchia. There is a circuitous bus route that involves at least one transfer and you are dropped off in the town, not at the port.

We met a couple who had not made prior arrangements and they had to pay a couple hundred Euro to a cabbie to entice him to take them.

Last year there were issues with who can ride the transfer bus, initially it was limited to those staying in a HAL arranged hotel. Then they opened it up to more people but capacity was still limited.

I am curious how you booked the transfer as our May crossing does not offer it yet.

I am curious how you booked the transfer as our May crossing does not offer it yet.

I booked it through our travel agent. Initially we were told the transfer was only available for HAL hotel people but the TA pushed back through her sales contact and we got seats.

We did the HAL transfer to Ijmuiden last September, and it left from the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Amsterdam. My TA called an added it to our cruise booking and had no problems whatsoever. We did not stay at the Renaissance, but found a hotel right around the corner and simply walked over with our luggage the next morning. It was very easy, luggage was tagged, a lady with a clipboard had names on a list sorted by which bus you were assigned to, and we just waited in their lobby area until it was time for our bus. Very easy. IJmuiden is quite a distance, out in the middle of nowhere, and I wouldn't want to think how much a taxi would cost!

It is certainly not convenient. We managed it with the train and a bus last year. The stop was on the other side of the dike from the terminal so we had to walk up the stairs and over the other side. A porter did come out and collect our bags at the bottom of the stairs. I would only recommend it if one is inclined towards adventure.

My DW and I are going to be on the Prinsendam next July. We decided that we wanted to make Amsterdam a significant part of your trip since neither of us have ever been there.

So were are arriving in Amsterdam 3 days before we sail.

When we booked our cruise with our TA, she asked us if we wanted the HAL transfer. She also booked a room in a hotel in the city, but not the one where we will pick up the transfer.

We had no trouble arranging for the transfer to Imjuiden with HAL, and are looking forward to it.

We are planning to take a taxi to the hotel that the HAL transfer leaves from.

By the way, since the connections for flights from Amsterdam back to the states are so close to our disembarkation, we are going to leave the next day. We have booked a hotel at the airport and will take the train to the city for one more opportunity for on last afternoon/ evening in Amsterdam.

Thanks for the replies. I will give our PCC a call and book a HAL transfer. First I have to decide if I want to stay at the airport Sheraton, or find a hotel in the city.

Greg

Absolutely take a hotel in the city, so much nicer.

As mentioned above Renaissance, but you also have other hotels in that area. (Centraal Station).

We sailed on the Prisendam from Amsterdam last month. Stayed at the Hyatt Place hotel at the airport and I highly recommend it. Their shuttle had a wonderful scheduled airport run each half hour and we used it extensively. Then used the train (lower level at the airport) to get into the city--an easy 15 minutes.

Used HAL transfer from the airport and back from the ship. Decent price and very easy which was important to DH and myself.

Absolutely take a hotel in the city, so much nicer.

As mentioned above Renaissance, but you also have other hotels in that area. (Centraal Station).

My DW and I are staying at the Hotel Vondel (http://www.hotelvondel.com/en).

It is a couple of blocks from Vondel Park, which we are told is a great place! (Some call it the "Central Park" of Amsterdam.)

It's a 7 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum, and a 14 minute walk to the Heinekin Experience. Also a 7 minute walk to the tram station that will get you to Centraal Station & Dam Square.

Hotel Vondel gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. A bit pricey, but we're going to be on vacation...in AMSTERDAM! :D

It is a couple of blocks from Vondel Park, which we are told is a great place! (Some call it the "Central Park" of Amsterdam.)

It's a 7 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum, and a 14 minute walk to the Heinekin Experience. Also a 7 minute walk to the tram station that will get you to Centraal Station & Dam Square.

Hotel Vondel gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. A bit pricey, but we're going to be on vacation...in AMSTERDAM! :D

The Vondelpark is huge! Spent a lot of time in my youth there. Enjoy Amsterdam; a great city to explore!

Just as an fyi re: Park Plaza Victoria - I stayed there in July before a cruise. It's a very convenient property. Everybody is outside this building. It's a drop-off point for cruise tours and a pick up point. Please be careful of the bike path. They will mow you down.

• 1 month later...

We arrive a day early by train and then take bus 82 from Sloterdijk train station to Ijmuiden and then stay at the Holiday Inn at the beach. From there it is just a short walk over to the cruise terminal in the morning.

The bus runs about every 20-30 mins and it takes about 50 mins to Ijmuiden.

• 4 weeks later...
My wife and I are booked on the Prinsendam next July (2016) sailing from Amsterdam (Ijmuiden). We have arranged a HAL transfer from Amsterdam the morning of embarkation.

I am one who likes to plan well in advance (it adds to the enjoyment and anticipation for me) and I have seen some comments about transfers from Amsterdam to the ship on embarkation day.

Will there be a kiosk where we and the others taking the transfer will meet to get the bus or van?

Otherwise, will we simply meet the bus or van on the curb in front of the hotel?

Again, I have a habit of thinking about this sort of thing well in advance, so I am just curious about the experiences of those of you who have taken HAL transfers from Amsterdam to Ijmuiden.

Thanks!

Hi! We're on this cruise, also. We're from Creedmoor, NC. We'll be staying at the Nh Amsterdam Centre hotel. I wonder if there could be a HAL pick up at this hotel. Guess it's a bit early to ask them.

Where are you in North Carolina?

Sam (my given name is Sherlyn, but I go by Sam) :o

We are going on the Koningsdam from Amsterdam in July. I just assumed that the cruise left from Amsterdam. This isn't the case? I must say, I am confused.

FunTraveler52.

You need to check with HAL to see what port your ship will leave from. If you have booked your transfer with HAL, they will take care of getting you to the correct port. Ijmuiden is not far from Amsterdam, but apparently not that easy to get to using public transportation from Amsterdam.

Greg

We are going on the Koningsdam from Amsterdam in July. I just assumed that the cruise left from Amsterdam. This isn't the case? I must say, I am confused.

The Prinsendam is the only HAL ship I've seen sail from Ijmuiden. IIRC, it's a pretty tight turn to get into the berth, and Felson is probably unable to handle the larger ships.

Roy

The Prinsendam is the only HAL ship I've seen sail from Ijmuiden. IIRC, it's a pretty tight turn to get into the berth, and Felson is probably unable to handle the larger ships.

Roy

And in 2017 the Prinsendam will return to using Amsterdam so I guess the bad press Ijmuiden has generated had an impact.

Roy

Roy, thank you for your help. I was a little worried, it does seem complicated (and time consuming) to get to ljmuiden.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Hey, Boiler Cruiser - I've been going over all the roll calls and forums, and saw the link to your post about transfers from Ijmuiden - you said you were on the Prinsendam in July? We're on the Prinsendam starting June 2nd - on the 34 day North Baltic, so I'm sure we'll meet in July. We also live in North Carolina - Creedmoor - outside of Durham - where do y'all live?

"Sam" - retiredoncologyRN

Hey, Boiler Cruiser - I've been going over all the roll calls and forums, and saw the link to your post about transfers from Ijmuiden - you said you were on the Prinsendam in July? We're on the Prinsendam starting June 2nd - on the 34 day North Baltic, so I'm sure we'll meet in July. We also live in North Carolina - Creedmoor - outside of Durham - where do y'all live?

"Sam" - retiredoncologyRN

Small world, we will be disembarking that same day from the Prinsendam in Ijmuiden. We live in west Raleigh. We will try and leave the ship in good shape ;)!