Windjammer food

jayblue

I saw this question raised in an article I found on FB: Is it acceptable to grab a plate from the Windjammer and take it back to your cabin? Or, is it a no-no?

I know RCCL has no rules against it, but is it a cruising faux pas?

Edited by jayblue

You can take it any where you want to eat it...if you're taking it back to your cabin you can even ask a WJ waitstaff to provide you with a cover for it.

That's good to know. I am trying to anticipate every situation that could possibly happen. I've been on 3 cruises before, but always ate in either the MDR, WJ, or a couple of times in the Solarium when I was last on EOS (it was a little different than it is now).

I saw this question raised in an article I found on FB: Is it acceptable to grab a plate from the Windjammer and take it back to your cabin? Or, is it a no-no?

No problem. What is bad is when those that do take plates of food and drinks back to their cabin and then place their dirty dishes in the hall. Looks trashy!

Edited by davekathy

You'd be surprised. We saw a family with 2 full plates of food from WJ at one of the shows at the Aquatheater on Oasis this past week.

I would take it on deck for the movies by the pool, since they don't provide popcorn, but the Aquatheatre is stadium style seating, isn't it?

Few weeks ago on FOS we saw a couple with full plates from the WJ eating in the Arcadia theater.. I personally couldn't care less, that just seems like a burden to carry that crap around and eat in a movie theater style seat lol

No problem. What is bad is when those that do take plates of food and drinks back to their cabin and then place their dirty dishes in the hall. Looks trashy!

Just curious as to what is the protocol for the dirty dishes? Do you return them to WJ, call the room service number or leave them in your room until your next steward visit? Our upcoming will be our first and would like to know what the polite thing to do is.

Just curious as to what is the protocol for the dirty dishes?

This is what we do: we leave them in the room. Dishes in the hall can be a tripping hazard' date=' and personally, I feel Room Service has enough to do especially being called to pick up dishes from the WJ that they didn't even deliver? [i']Not cool[/i] (in my opinion).

You will get varying answers on this. :)

Just curious as to what is the protocol for the dirty dishes? Do you return them to WJ' date=' call the room service number or leave them in your room until your next steward visit? Our upcoming will be our first and would like to know what the polite thing to do is.[/quote']

We never put them in the hall your room steward will pick them up.

Just curious as to what is the protocol for the dirty dishes? Do you return them to WJ' date=' call the room service number or leave them in your room until your next steward visit? Our upcoming will be our first and would like to know what the polite thing to do is.[/quote']

I don't think RCCL cares much. They certainly don't expect you to walk your trays back to the kitchen. I think it's a little strange that cruisin mom thinks putting them in the hall is a faux pas in the first place. I'm fairly certain that it is the "expected" thing to do, though obviously they do clean the inside of your cabin during the standard times.

I don't think RCCL cares much. They certainly don't expect you to walk your trays back to the kitchen. I think it's a little strange that cruisin mom thinks putting them in the hall is a faux pas in the first place. I'm fairly certain that it is the "expected" thing to do, though obviously they do clean the inside of your cabin during the standard times.

I didn't have an issue, if you read the thread, it was "davekathy" who said it was trashy to leave dirty dishes outside the room. However, I wonder how folks who need walkers or wheelchairs or other mobility devices to get around feel about this subject? I could see that being a big issue for some people.

DW does it all the time if I'm not well.

However' date=' I wonder how folks who need walkers or wheelchairs or other mobility devices to get around feel about this subject? I could see that being a big issue for some people.[/quote']

^ This, exactly. It's a tripping hazard for able-bodied pedestrians, and certainly a hazard for those with mobility issues/devices.

The steward will take the dirty dishes, s/he absolutely will.

Im not sure it's expected. Some do it. I think it makes narrow halls more crowded so I just stack them inside for the room steward.

We never put them in the hall your room steward will pick them up.

According to royal, they expect you to put them the dirty dishes in the hall. Your steward is not responsible for that but room service. Yeah, I didn't know it until I found an official answer from them

Edited by mcatmcat

I wouldn't take it on the rock climbing wall or flowrider either.

The OP talked about taking food from WJ, which we have done on RCI and P&O ships, which from the replies on the thread is not an issue, but I wonder from the past whether it was and if passengers were prevented from taking buns or fruits from the self service areas ?

Yorkvillian: 😃😃😃😃

Mark Sheffield: The majority of the answers to the old question (it was from 2014) posed on FB were that people should just use room service. That menu is too limited for my taste, and I would only use it if I was (self) confined to my cabin by illness.

Then, I was reminded that Norwegian tried to do the same. Their policy, however, appeared to be cost motivated.

The OP talked about taking food from WJ, which we have done on RCI and P&O ships, which from the replies on the thread is not an issue, but I wonder from the past whether it was and if passengers were prevented from taking buns or fruits from the self service areas ?

The only time we were prvented from taking food out on deck was on a cruise out of California, due to some state law. During the period when we were withing some specific distance from land, we could not have food outside.