Favorite Desserts

GeorgiaGirl14

So I have started Weight Watchers. Bummer that I did this right before my Getaway cruise, but the doctor wants me to lose 20 pounds before I have surgery in June or July. So my strategy is to wait and save dessert for the last two days of cruise. (If I start at the beginning of the cruise, my willpower will be shot) We will be eating in the Specialty restaurants with the UDP. If you could only eat two desserts on cruise, which would they be? I want to use my sugar expenditure wisely!!!! Share your favorite desserts.

So I have started Weight Watchers. Bummer that I did this right before my Getaway cruise, but the doctor wants me to lose 20 pounds before I have surgery in June or July. So my strategy is to wait and save dessert for the last two days of cruise. (If I start at the beginning of the cruise, my willpower will be shot) We will be eating in the Specialty restaurants with the UDP. If you could only eat two desserts on cruise, which would they be? I want to use my sugar expenditure wisely!!!! Share your favorite desserts.

We only ate in the buffet this last cruise, as we had our kids with us, so my favourite was found there. It was the coconut cream pie. It was so good, I had seconds and would have happily eaten it every day if I could have.

My husband and son are both big cheesecake lovers and were thrilled with the New York style cheesecake and the coconut cheesecake, both of which went fast, so if you like them, don't think about it too long!

By the way, I am doing Weight Watchers too, and I actually lost weight on this cruise and I was not counting points. I ate a lot of fruit, tried to stay away from breads and pastas, but ate what desserts I liked. I also indulged in cocktails without thinking about the calories, but we walked A LOT and took the stairs most of the time. Good luck!

I dont have a favorite dessert but I do try to eat well. This is what I would suggest if you are worried about will power.

I would take my meals and whatever is on yr plate, split in half put on another plate and ask your waiter to immediately take it off your table and get rid of it. This way you dont still pick. Also this may allow you to eat desset every night. Do the same split in half or just take a third. This way you dont have to deprive yourself and still watch.

Do not take the elevators no matter what and walk, walk, walk. It will make up for some of your eating.

Enjoy your cruise. You can do it! Fill up on a late lunch with salads and fruit. Drinks tons of water and have a glass in-between each adult beverage.

On the Gem, I very much enjoyed: :)

vanilla crème brulee at Le Bistro;

tiramisu at MDR (I think it was Grand Pacific);

Norwegian cheesecake at MDR (Magenta);

apple cardamom crisp at Cagney's;

rhubarb panna cotta at La Cucina;

affogato at La Cucina (mainly because you can choose macadamia nut ice cream!).

Did not like: :(

raspberry crème brulee at Cagney's;

coconut tapioca pudding at the Orchid Garden.

Creme Brûlée at Le Bistro and the Coconut Ice cream at the buffet.. Good Luck with your choice and best wishes in your challenge to loose weight..

Agree with RoobyDoo, the raspberry creme brûlée at Cagney's is not that good...

Edited by antsnanny
spelling error

Thanks for sharing your favorite treats and also for the advice/tips for how to keep weight under control on the cruise. I have been battling breast cancer this past year. Chemo and radiation are behind me, but I am still on a target infusion drug until May. So this cruise is a bit of a celebration for my husband and me after last year's challenges. I have reconstruction surgery happening in June or July and the plastic surgeon wants me to lose some weight and walk. There should plenty of walking opportunities on board the Getaway. Thanks for sharing your favorite desserts.

Back when I was on the Jewel, I had a Creme Brulee in the MDR. O.M.G.!!! I have been thinking about it ever since. We're back on NCL in August and I really hope they still have it.

I think it was called Honey Creme Brulee and it had a chocolate layer on the bottom. :D

Lifelong yo yo dieter here. One time I went on a 10 day cruise and managed to only gain 2 lbs...no small feat!!! What I did was If I wanted a cookie for example I would break it in half and make my hubby eat half. I also choose mostly sugar free or low fat desert options in the MDR. Choose light beer or red wine that could be sipped. Tried to stay away from the buffet...too tempting to graze. I also went to the spa most mornings and did a short routine of 20 minutes on the stepper and 10 minutes in the sauna...then a nice shower in the spa, a little me time, really enjoyed that. Good luck and have fun on your cruise!

PS :: My poor hubby gained 10 lbs on the same cruise eating 1/2 my goodies...Opps!

JS, I especially appreciated your tips!!!! If anyone else has portion control, willpower tips, please share!!!!!

Hi GeorgiaGirl, I know you will have a fantastic cruise and I think choosing the UDP will help with your plan.

I plan to also eat in the specialty dining rooms and hope this helps with food control. What I plan to do (and hope is possible) is specify exactly what I want. I know this is almost impossible in the MDR as it is banquet style plating, but might be possible in the specialties. So I will ask for the size portion of protein I want (I.e. Approx 4 oz fish), no rice/potato/pasta/etc, and LOTS of veggies. That will do me for dinner.

We will be in a suite so it will also be possible to customize breaky/lunch meals in the suite dining room, or we will go to the buffet were I can control my own portion.

Desserts, well in my opinion life is too short to forgo dessert, but it's got to be good. Sort of like wine, I don't drink a lot, and when I do it is the good stuff. In my experience the MDR desserts I have ordered are not worth eating. I don't think I've ever finished one. (I am sure there are good ones, I certainly haven't tried them all, and I am picky about my desserts, so please take this with a grain of salt). I enjoyed the fondue in le bistro, and I don't know if it was on the menu, but they gave me some truffles last time that were yummy. I also go with the share philosophy - my dh and I share one. And if it's not really good, I don't eat more than a taste.

I also am a strong believe in no elevators, ever. Gives me a bit of cardio and frees up space for those that need it.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery, and enjoy your cruise. You've certainly earned it.

J9

Back when I was on the Jewel, I had a Creme Brulee in the MDR. O.M.G.!!! I have been thinking about it ever since. We're back on NCL in August and I really hope they still have it.

I think it was called Honey Creme Brulee and it had a chocolate layer on the bottom. :D

I think of this often....had it a few years ago and havent seen it since!

I love the fruit plate for dessert, but many times will order sherbert or ice cream.

Ditto on the advice on the fruit plate. I am also on WW and order the fruit plate every night in the MDR. Then if I also order a regular dessert, I can eat all of the fruit plate and then just a few bites of the dessert.

I so agree with you. O.M.G. is right. I keep thinking about that dessert, too!

I also love the other creme brulees we've had in the MDR and in the Asian specialty restaurant. Classic (w/o the chocolate ganache), Pistachio, and the trio of Ginger, Azuki, and Green Tea.

th_fc0cc893-f3d3-4bec-a25c-d39606311fbb_zps4c5b5ffd.jpg

Creme Brulee

th_DSCN1513_zps69b8eac2.jpg

Asian specialty restaurant trio of Creme Brulee: Ginger, Azuki, and Green Tea