Benefits of a balcony on a sub zero cruise?

We did a cruise to the Arctic circle in an Outside cabin so the saving helped us do a B2B -30 days

Another cool weather cruise we did an inside so we could do a B2B --18 days

It depends on how much value you place on a balcony

we could care less even on Caribbean cruises... we would book an outside if we could

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

On most ships a balcony cabin will give you a nice big window to look out of, even if it's too cold to use the balcony per se. Also, the cabin itself might be somewhat larger than an "outside" or "inside" cabin.

Would you like to throw on a sweater and a heavy robe or coat and go on your balcony to look for Northern Lights? Or would you prefer getting fully dressed to go to a public deck to do so?

On the winter Norway cruises I went on, dress code was "optional" for Northern Lights. Nobody was checking to see who had pyjamas (or anything at all) under their thick coats, trousers, and shoes and socks.

On Hurtigruten, and so far as I know other lines as well, you could register for a wake-up call if Northern Lights were visible. You didn't need to keep nipping out to check.

Bear in mind that from a balcony, you can normally see less than half the sky. If the Lights are on the other side or are filling the sky, you will want to be on the open deck anyway.

Oriana, incidentally, has more open deck space than virtually any other ship at sea; much of it on the rear decks where it's sheltered from the wind. And on a Northern Lights cruise, there will be vast amounts of unoccupied space. Apart from the inconvenience of having to travel [a good deal] more than 3 feet to get there, it'd be like having a personal balcony a hundred feet long.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Thanks for all the replies so far, food for thought! The Oriana does seem to get mixed reviews, but we really want to take our daughter to see the northern lights, and the larger newer ships don't/can't sail the route.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you really want to see aurora, go to Fairbanks in the winter and head north. Make sure to be there when there is no moon. If you really want to see something neat, time it for the Fairbanks Ice Carving Championships.

DON

We once had a balcony on a winter Med cruise, because one of us smoked then...now that option has gone from most ships. As far as I can recall, the only people outside on the dark and windy nights were other smokers for a few minutes....imagine standing outside your house in a strong wind in Feb, even in the Med! We'd opt for an outside in future.

We were on Aurora in Nov with an outside, and it was enough for us just to see the daylight. Like Oriana, there was a lot of room at the back, which was where people congregated.

We ALWAYS book a balcony, but we've only gone on Caribbean, Hawaii, and the Med. Love having a balcony in warm weather. We sit out at night and watch the ships on the horizon or the islands off in the distance. On a cruise with those temperatures with the wind? NO WAY would I book a balcony cabin. I'd dress full on in all my garb and go on deck if I wanted to be outside. JMO. ;)

On most ships a balcony cabin will give you a nice big window to look out of, even if it's too cold to use the balcony per se. Also, the cabin itself might be somewhat larger than an "outside" or "inside" cabin.

Tick.

I have said numerous times, if I had a floor to ceiling window that opened I could perhaps forgo the balcony.

I've never been on this cruise but I have been on cruises to North Cape in May and the Panama Canal and I am going to compare them by saying that it is just so much more fun sharing the experience with other people out on deck. Someone mentioned the limited view from your balcony and that is what we found going through the canal. It was much more interesting on deck, going from one side of the ship to the other as well as back to front, than watching the extremely limited view from our balcony. In fact, after that cruise, we pretty much forego balconies in most cases because we love to share our experiences and have additional eyes looking for the highlights and the picture opportunities. In this case, I can picture you waiting inside at a bar or other venue with your coat ready to run out when someone sees the lights. I cannot imagine you will be sitting by your balcony window watching for the show and hoping you do not miss it (which you certainly will if it is out of view of your balcony). I may be wrong, but I understand the light shows are limited, so it would be more comfortable watching with a group of people, possibly taking turns going outside, then trying to watch from the balcony.

When we went to North Cape, an entirely different experience with 24 hours of daylight. It was much more fun sharing, finding the perfect picture with the ships clock in the background, getting that picture of the sun just at the spot where the land/sea meets the sky. I can't describe it, but much more fun and satisfying than just sharing with my husband on the balcony.

Thinking of booking a northern light cruise with P@O on the Oriana next Feb, it's a bit pricier than I was expecting, so was wondering if forgoing a balcony would be an issue when the temp is likely to be between 0 and -6. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences - thank you :)

A balcony would be a waste of money on this cruise. Get a cabin with a large picture window or even an inside. I would choose a cabin that is fairly close to the elevators and stairs. Buy the whole family silk long underwear, and then bring heavy clothes and parkas, even snow boots - stuff that is easy to put on when the Northern lights make their appearance. 0 and -6 is so cold that you will find it uncomfortable to breathe and your nose will quickly become ice cold, so buy balaclava face masks that cover the head, nose, mouth and neck for everyone so you can actually enjoy the Northern Lights.

0 and -6 is so cold that you will find it uncomfortable to breathe and your nose will quickly become ice cold, so buy balaclava face masks that cover the head, nose, mouth and neck for everyone so you can actually enjoy the Northern Lights.

I think the OP is talking about Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. It doesn't normally get below zero Fahrenheit until you get right round the North Cape to the Russian border, out of the Gulf Stream.

Yes! I did think a balaclava was a little extreme, but thought maybe you were lucky enough to live in a hot country, so really felt the cold! I appreciate all these different perspectives, do keep them coming. I'm off on explorer of the seas this morning :) so won't be booking our northern lights adventure til we get back... At the moment I'm thinking I would like a balcony, but that our daughter can have an inside/outside

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

0 is freezing and -6 is well below freezing but the likely wind chill factor is of far more importance and likely makes the air temperature feel far lower than these temperatures. Cold coupled with wind is always leads to greater heat loss and can lead to hypothermia faster at temperatures that might normally be OK in a less windy situation. I think most of us are aware that the top deck on a moving ship is often windy. If you plan to spend a lot of time looking at or photographing the Northern Lights, then you want to be prepared to be out in the cold for long periods of time, wind or not.

-6 C = 21 F add to it a windchill of 30mph and you get 1F

Oxygen needs to be brought up to your core temperature (98.6) before being exhaled. When the air is cold the air can trigger bronchospasm. This makes it harder for air to get in and out of your lungs. But it’s not just the cold that causes irritation. It’s the extreme change in temperature and humidity—going from warm, moister air inside to cold, drier air outside, for example. The solution to this problem is a face mask. If you have any type of lung issue such as asthma or COPD, then it is even more important to take precautions.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

A face mask doesn't hurt to bring for people with breathing issues, but anyone else will be fine for a couple hours.

I don't enjoy walking the half mile to/from work with -35 windchill but I do it frequently. No irritation.