What's Your Best Airfare Cost Guess August 2015?

MrBanana1240

All,

Before we finalize the cruise, we always book the airfare. But we love the sail right now, but none of the airlines have released anything for August 2015. I know they are a little behind, usually 10-8 months prior.

Cruise is August 17th-21st, 2015. So the price won't be July high, but it wont be September low. It's Miami too, so FLL is an option. Ive actually never flown into MIA.

I'm just look looking for some past rates. I mean I have BWI close to me, with Reagan and Dulles not too far either. The person I'm going with lives near Newark.

Just a guess. Thanks all who can provide anything!

Airlines cannot sell tickets for travel more than 330 days into the future. ( discount carriers have an even more narrow window.) With fewer flights we've noticed that unlike a few years ago when seats got less expensive as the date for travel approached, the reverse seems true these days - the best prices sell out quickly. Example is this past summer. SDF to MIA booked in Feb. 2014 for July 2014 $414 pp round trip through ATL. Depart Fri return 8 days later after cruise. For July 11-18, 2015 NCL Getaway sailing booked the same flights (exactly the same) leaving 7/10 returning 7/18. Booked on the very first day return flights were capable of being selected on airline website. $323 pp round trip.

Edited by rch3

All,

Before we finalize the cruise, we always book the airfare. But we love the sail right now, but none of the airlines have released anything for August 2015. I know they are a little behind, usually 10-8 months prior.

Cruise is August 17th-21st, 2015. So the price won't be July high, but it wont be September low. It's Miami too, so FLL is an option. Ive actually never flown into MIA.

I'm just look looking for some past rates. I mean I have BWI close to me, with Reagan and Dulles not too far either. The person I'm going with lives near Newark.

A good guess would be $250 RT from BWI/IAD and prob $300 from DCA.

From EWR, I would say $350 RT. This would be for budget airlines like SW and Spirit. I found JetBlue to be a bit high this year. So I wouldn't count on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All,

I have flown to Miami a couple times for cruises. I have always checked IAD, DCA but there prices are typically $300-$400 when I need them, it's around a 3 hrs trip for me if I hit traffic right. I typically go with RDU, GSO as the prices out of NC seem much better, I have flown for $180-$220 typically. It's about a 2-2.5 hr drive to those locations. I have used RIC once before for around $230 going to Orlando. It's very nice to have all these airports available to me as a option, all 2-3hrs away. I wont pay more than $250 for a flight.

All,

I fly Southwest between FLL and TPA and BWI all the time. Count on $300 to $350 RT. Southwest dates are open through April 6 2015 right now. Best time to purchase is 240 to 150 days out.

I've flown for as low as <$200.00 but no rhyme or reason when that lucky break strikes.

Although there are a few exceptions, most airlines won't let you book a flight more than six months ahead. Our next cruise is in May 2015. Starting this week, I'll be checking airline prices at least three or four times a week, just to get an idea of what prices are like, which day of the week prices go down, and when they go up. Typically, prices are lower on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and higher on the other days, but there are some exceptions. Once I've established the pattern, I should have a pretty good idea of when to book our airfare. I'm guessing maybe some time in March or early April. If you're planning to book your own airfare, compare round trip to two one way tickets. For us, I've discovered that two one way tickets are cheaper than a round trip ticket. Plus, it gives me more flexibility in choosing flight times. From here (in Columbus), we fly non-stop to Miami on American Airlines, and back home on Delta. It takes a bit of research, but go on line to determine which airlines fly from your area to Miami and/or FLL. Take note of departure and arrival times to determine which works best for you. Many people advocate flying in the day before, and some will stay a day post cruise and fly home the next day. Start doing your homework now, and when the time (and price) is right, you'll be well prepared to book your flight(s).;)

Your low prices options are getting better out of IAD and DCA. Frontier is now flying out of IAD with a direct flight to FLL and they have some extremely low prices. Southwest is about to increase their DCA departures to 40something flights a day. I've noticed flights have decreased tremendously since Frontier came. Hopefully they are successful and stay at IAD.

Although there are a few exceptions, most airlines won't let you book a flight more than six months ahead. Our next cruise is in May 2015. Starting this week, I'll be checking airline prices at least three or four times a week, just to get an idea of what prices are like, which day of the week prices go down, and when they go up. Typically, prices are lower on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and higher on the other days, but there are some exceptions. Once I've established the pattern, I should have a pretty good idea of when to book our airfare. I'm guessing maybe some time in March or early April. [/qUOTE]

This thread was moved from another forum, wasn't it?

The legacy carriers will open up booking about 330 days in advance. There is no "cheapest day" on which to purchase airfare, despite what nonsense you may read. There is no clear pattern and prices may constantly fluctuate.

Edited by 6rugrats

I fly Southwest between FLL and TPA and BWI all the time. Count on $300 to $350 RT. Southwest dates are open through April 6 2015 right now. Best time to purchase is 240 to 150 days out.

I've flown for as low as <$200.00 but no rhyme or reason when that lucky break strikes.

BWI can have cheap airfare AND cheaper parking! I have tickets for Weds in November, 2014 that I got $89 each way -- 1st day of opening schedule. Last December 31, 2013 my tickets cost over $900 roundtrip. Those are my two radical rates for the past year. Have had lots in between. Do yourself a favor and go in the night before. You know how thunder boomers mess with things in Hot Humid August. That means you need Sunday August 16. My best advice is a LATE afternoon flight (not to mix in with the gigantic ships that sail Sunday) . You are probably a week too early for back to school BIG crowds doing last hoorah! Southwest is not always the cheapest out of BWI. FLL or MIA probably does not matter a bunch -- transfer to ship by cruise line from both and probably worth it as sometimes cabs are hard to find. Jet Blue goes out of DCA and they are a nice ride. (Parking at DCA is more expensive in my opinion.) EWR is easy to get to from Baltimore -- train up to the airport but it is a cost of $50 or more on Amtrack. Perhaps friend can go from EWR and you BWI and meet. IDA -- it is more expensive to FLL than BWI -- at least most of the time. Lots of ways to plan this trip. Mostly you have the most expensive days Monday and Friday. Sorry but that is the truth. Tuesday and Weds and 6 AM flight are only reasonable .

I go about 5 times a year BWI to FLL, so this route I'm pretty good on and it can be very reasonable almost cheap and it can be sky high. Get Early Bird -- flights often oversold and if you want bin space Often EB is first 60 or so spaces after "Business" 15. :rolleyes: AirTran from DCA also a good bet but there you pay bags but chose seat. Try the other airlines also -- just never know. When you see a good fare that works for you buy it! They don't last long.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Zero. We drive every time. Don't care if it takes a while, it's built in. Eat decent food, luggage is there with me and not destroyed. No stress from airports, sitting in those seats and PITA fellow flyers.

I'll take the stress of flying any day over the stress of driving on I-95, the route I'd have to take from MD.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

I am with you Grandma! I 95 is the pits and I am on the wrong side of DC so it is a pain from the beginning. I think the worst part is getting to the Florida line and then realizing you have a whole long day's travel to get on down to Miami. Same thing if you go to Tallahassee -- feels like you should have been there a long time ago:( Give me the plane any day.

This thread was moved from another forum, wasn't it?

The legacy carriers will open up booking about 330 days in advance. There is no "cheapest day" on which to purchase airfare, despite what nonsense you may read. There is no clear pattern and prices may constantly fluctuate.

Oh, I beg to differ. It's not "nonsense". I have personally seen prices drop one day and go back up the next. With few exceptions, prices drop on Tuesdays and / or Wednesdays, then go back up on Thursdays. And there are very few (if any) airlines that will allow you to book a flight ten months in advance. Most airlines change their flight schedules about every six months, at least for domestic flights. International flights might have a different schedule.

Oh, I beg to differ. It's not "nonsense". I have personally seen prices drop one day and go back up the next. With few exceptions, prices drop on Tuesdays and / or Wednesdays, then go back up on Thursdays. And there are very few (if any) airlines that will allow you to book a flight ten months in advance. Most airlines change their flight schedules about every six months, at least for domestic flights. International flights might have a different schedule.

Of course price go down one day and go back up the next. It is called YIELD MANAGEMENT!!! Very, very sophisticated algorithms that the airlines use to maximize revenue on EVERY seat on the plane. And if you can figure it out, you are FAR, FAR ahead of those of us that fly 100,000 miles year in and year out.

PLEASE review your theory. Flights FLOWN (NOT BOOKED) on TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY are generally cheaper than those flown on Monday/Thursday/Friday/Sunday. Tuesday/Wednesday and Saturday are generally cheaper flights because you don't have the BUSINESS demand on TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY and maybe not the leisure traveler flyer demand on Saturday because everyone wanted to get out of town on FRIDAY after work.

We often book our employees for WEDNESDAY or THURSDAY business meetings (flying in TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY to save a few bucks) and if they are single and don't have families to get home to on Friday night, they fly Saturday early morning and are home to party by early Saturday afternoon. You just have to understand the yield management system. It doesn't appear you do!!!!

Edited by greatam

For FLL and MIA, especially in the winter months when so many ships the higher prices happen on days when many ships are turning around. Always the weekends but occasionally on other days also as that is many customers wanting tickets. Prices before 11AM are usually cheaper -- thus the huge amount of "can I make a flight by ___ AM if I walk-off/take a taxi/ pray real hard?" Flying in the price goes down about 3 PM -- too late for the ships. :) Just something I use if I have to go see family on a weekend or holiday period.

Both of your claims are incorrect. The "best day" thing is an urban myth. Please provide evidence other than an anecdotal experience or two.

And most airlines DO sell tickets 330 days out, especially in the US. Yes, flight schedules change, but 330 is the magic number generally.

Sorry but this was moved to cruise air. We have tons of experience here (and many are much better than I). We know what we are talking about here.

Of course price go down one day and go back up the next. It is called YIELD MANAGEMENT!!! Very, very sophisticated algorithms that the airlines use to maximize revenue on EVERY seat on the plane. And if you can figure it out, you are FAR, FAR ahead of those of us that fly 100,000 miles year in and year out.

PLEASE review your theory. Flights FLOWN (NOT BOOKED) on TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY are generally cheaper than those flown on Monday/Thursday/Friday/Sunday. Tuesday/Wednesday and Saturday are generally cheaper flights because you don't have the BUSINESS demand on TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY and maybe not the leisure traveler flyer demand on Saturday because everyone wanted to get out of town on FRIDAY after work.

We often book our employees for WEDNESDAY or THURSDAY business meetings (flying in TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY to save a few bucks) and if they are single and don't have families to get home to on Friday night, they fly Saturday early morning and are home to party by early Saturday afternoon. You just have to understand the yield management system. It doesn't appear you do!!!!

I don't have to understand the yield management decision to know that I can book seats on a Tuesday cheaper than I can on a Thursday or Friday. I do understand that it's like anything else, based on supply and demand. I used to work for Delta, and I know all too well that more people fly on Friday through Monday than on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If we wanted to go to Boston (for example), I knew that there would be more seats available on a Tuesday than on a Friday.

And there are very few (if any) airlines that will allow you to book a flight ten months in advance. Most airlines change their flight schedules about every six months, at least for domestic flights. International flights might have a different schedule.

The fact that you are so very wrong about this makes me tend to believe that you really aren't that familiar with how airline fares work.

If you only look at the LCCs (WN, Spirit, JetBlue, Allegiant, etc.), yes, they have those strange "windows" where they release the flights to the awaiting sheeple, oops, public. Airlines like Delta, AA, United, Lufthansa, Air France, Alitalia, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, Quantas, Tasca, Hawaiian, Alaska, and many others, open for ticket purchase 330 days out…

Notice that there is only a sticky on this forum for when the LCCs open their windows...

And there are very few (if any) airlines that will allow you to book a flight ten months in advance.
Let's just test this.

The following are the mainline passenger airlines in the US that are officially classed as major airlines:-

• Air Tran
  • Alaska Airlines
  • American Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Frontier Airlines
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • JetBlue
  • Southwest Airlines
  • Spirit Airlines
  • United Airlines
  • US Airways
  • Virgin America

Of these, the following open their bookings about 10 months or so in advance:-

• Alaska Airlines
  • American Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • United Airlines
  • US Airways
  • Virgin America

So where do you get your "very few (if any)" from? Do you actually know anything about airlines?

And there are very few (if any) airlines that will allow you to book a flight ten months in advance. Most airlines change their flight schedules about every six months, at least for domestic flights. International flights might have a different schedule.

And to take the specific case of the OP, I'm actually getting pricing on ITA Matrix on UA for her travel dates; not bookable yet on UA's website, but the week before is.

BTW, pricing shown on ITA is $192 return for a 1-stop thru EWR to FLL. Considering your travelling companion lives near EWR, you could potentially meet her there and fly on the same EWR-FLL flight. And if that price holds when it becomes bookable on UA.com, I would grab it. I doubt you'd get much better.

That is a good price to FLL but the Baltimore OP has to get to EWR and that is not exactly easy -- too close to fly, awful to drive!! (crazier drivers than BWI/DC area which is impressive) and add a real spaghetti type mess around EWR. Suppose could do rental 1 way (try Avis local but more than likely you will get hit by both airport fees that are high). Train is easy but maybe pricey depending on timing (rush hours in pricing). Bus I never took one but might use something like BOLT then take transit to EWR from NYC. I go out of EWR occasionally but have to look at the hassle factor too.

That is a good price to FLL but the Baltimore OP has to get to EWR and that is not exactly easy -- too close to fly

The $192 price I got was for IAD/DCA-EWR-FLL. Just checked again and you can get BWI-EWR-MIA for $212.

The BWI-EWR flight is 50 minutes on a Dash-8 - same as YQB-YUL.