Dress code at Royal Court Theatre on Queen Victoria

highlands1234

Hello,

We just booked a last second cruise on Queen Victoria since it was doing a route i was interested in. However after booking the cruise I started looking into Cunards dress code. It is more formal then what we are used to, and I imagine we will be dining in the Lido more often then not, which is fine. But I also read that shorts and t-shirts are frowned upon after 6pm. From what I read they want you to avoid the main areas of the ship, but does that include the theatre? I still want to watch the shows in the evenings of course, but would rather not have to put something more formal on just to go to the show.

Would love to hear from anyone that has cruised on the Queen Victoria regarding this.

Thanks!

The evening dress code applies to all areas of the ship apart from the Lido and one bar/lounge area on the same deck.

The dress code applies in the theatre. If you want to watch the shows you would need to wear trousers and a jacket even on informal nights.

I agree - the dress code is not always respected and not enforced. On a recent QM2 Transatlantic, several people were jacket-less in the theatre and at least one of our American Cousins was also wearing a "Vote Trump" baseball cap throughout! I did query at Reception if the code was supposed to apply, and they said it was. I suggested some attempt at enforcement might be good.

The majority of customer facing Cunard crew members ( in Bars and public venues & restaurants) do a good job, diplomatically reminding guests of the dress code after 6pm . I've travelled several times this year on QM2 .... my observations are, I've overheard crew members ( particularly in the Commodore & Chartroom) mentioning the evenings dress code after 6pm. Very few guests ignore this and will move on and return later correctly dressed , however, you'll always get one bad apple in the barrel.

The other week on the Q.Victoria, a Gent ( wearing a short sleeved checked shirt) arrived in the Commodore club and sat him self down at the bar area, unbelievable ! as it was a formal evening, and it was the tenth day into our cruise.

The senior Bar Tender didn't have time to remind him .....other guests seated around the Bar Top sent him on his way ..... we never saw him again :D

The majority of customer facing Cunard crew members ( in Bars and public venues & restaurants) do a good job, diplomatically reminding guests of the dress code after 6pm . I've travelled several times this year on QM2 .... my observations are, I've overheard crew members ( particularly in the Commodore & Chartroom) mentioning the evenings dress code after 6pm. Very few guests ignore this and will move on and return later correctly dressed , however, you'll always get one bad apple in the barrel.

The other week on the Q.Victoria, a Gent ( wearing a short sleeved checked shirt) arrived in the Commodore club and sat him self down at the bar area, unbelievable ! as it was a formal evening, and it was the tenth day into our cruise.

The senior Bar Tender didn't have time to remind him .....other guests seated around the Bar Top sent him on his way ..... we never saw him again :D

Nice to see other pax with the courage(besides myself) to remind the "slackers" out there about the dresscodes. Most of the time it is followed, but thee are those who feel it's their right to dress as they please. When I pay good $$ to travel with well dressed/mannered pax, I expect the crew to enforce the rules! Hopefully Cunard will see this blog & back us up.

Hello,

We just booked a last second cruise on Queen Victoria since it was doing a route i was interested in. However after booking the cruise I started looking into Cunards dress code. It is more formal then what we are used to, and I imagine we will be dining in the Lido more often then not, which is fine. But I also read that shorts and t-shirts are frowned upon after 6pm. From what I read they want you to avoid the main areas of the ship, but does that include the theatre? I still want to watch the shows in the evenings of course, but would rather not have to put something more formal on just to go to the show.

Would love to hear from anyone that has cruised on the Queen Victoria regarding this.

Thanks!

When dressing for dinner, how much additional effort does it take to put on a jacket, and possibly knot a tie (even just for show)?

But, if you have no wish to adhere to the correct evening dress code, then the Garden Room and Lido are the only places who will welcome your attendance.

Whilst I would happily wear Black Tie every evening, I do feel the "after 6PM" dress rule/code is somewhat of a farce.

The reason being, who is going to get dressed for dinner before 18:00 when they are on second sitting in the MDR, which is not until 20:30 ? No one I would suggest.

Whilst I would happily wear Black Tie every evening, I do feel the "after 6PM" dress rule/code is somewhat of a farce.

The reason being, who is going to get dressed for dinner before 18:00 when they are on second sitting in the MDR, which is not until 20:30 ? No one I would suggest.

Since the vast majority of people one sees around the ship after 18.00 HAVE dressed according to the code, if the suggestion is true one can only conclude all the late diners stay in their cabin until some time near 20.30.

Since the vast majority of people one sees around the ship after 18.00 HAVE dressed according to the code, if the suggestion is true one can only conclude all the late diners stay in their cabin until some time near 20.30.

Why must they stay in their cabins until dinnertime?

Don't people with late seating normally dress later ... say after 6pm? Then, if they attend the show before dinner or even just enjoy a pre-dinner drink, they would arrive at their dinner seating happy, on time and looking wonderful.:):)

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

....a question concerning the dress code - now keep in mind that I'm currently living in the mountains of Colorado and "formal" wear in the mountains is usually clean jeans and a collard shirt.

But I do own and have brought my tux for an upcoming crossing. On the less formal nights, I read "blue" jeans are not acceptable after 6pm, but are "black" jeans OK....with coat of course.

Hello,

Thanks!

Thankfully Cunard still requires big boy pants and a jacket (Must have a blazer or other suitable type of jacket - no bomber or hoodie types) to be able to enjoy the ship's evening entertainment. One can still dress down but even in the buffet no shorts after 6 pm. and hang in the Corinthia lounge.

If you do not have a pair of long trousers or a jacket, the local thrift can fit you up for only a few pounds.

Edited by Lakesregion

On formal nights, one takes a tad longer to "get dressed" for the evening. On informal nights, if one is actually wearing smart casual during the day, all they would have to do if they wished for the evening, is to toss on a jacket for the men and a different set of pearls or wrap for the ladies. Sadly, Smart casual is slowly leaving even Cunard for what I would call smart Farm Implement Workers convention wear.

Hubby and I cruise just about ALL the cruiselines, but LOVE our Cunard cruises so that we CAN dress up! Itinerary is our main focus, but we are never sad when Cunard fits that bill for us! In fact, given a choice between similar itineraries at the same time, we will choose Cunard over the others! If the dress code continues a slide down the scale, that will no longer work for us. Tux and formal gowns are ready for our next Cunard sailing!!! :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Echoing Swindens question, on informal nights would black jeans and a jacket be acceptable?

Also as far as "smart casual" during the day before 6, would it be frowned upon to wear sandals/flip flops with shorts? Seems pretty smart to wear something casual and more on point, comfortable like shorts and flip flops if you're in a warm tropical climate.

Thanks everyone for your input. Echoing Swindens question, on informal nights would black jeans and a jacket be acceptable?

Also as far as "smart casual" during the day before 6, would it be frowned upon to wear sandals/flip flops with shorts? Seems pretty smart to wear something casual and more on point, comfortable like shorts and flip flops if you're in a warm tropical climate.

Casual dress like that is fine before 6PM. It's kind of frowned upon in the dining rooms for breakfast & lunch, but sorry I do dress casual at these times, as we may be going to or returning from an excursion.

Highlands,

Not really. Having lived in Park City, UT in a past life, I understand your questions regarding dress. Many of the people answering this thread will not understand that a business suit is viewed with suspicion in the American West, not to mention the tie. I'm a southerner, so I like to get dressed up and sweat a little. It's what we do.

While weather will contribute to a lessening of the formality as you move closer to the equator, you will still be expected to present yourself in a blazer or sport coat with tie in the evenings. The dark jeans is really a stretch and I wouldn't attempt it. Perhaps the old stand by of a pair of khakis and navy sport coat with tie. I know you will never use these things in your normal life, but in the Cunard bubble, it's pretty much a given.

You are all set with a tuxedo and the trimmings for formal evenings. You will be astonished how lovely everyone looks on formal evenings when the effort is collectively made to smarten up a little. You are going to look great and thanks for making the effort. I suggest you purchase a few items for the trip. It will be worth the effort.

During the day, shorts and polo shirts will be fine through out the ship. I wouldn't wear flip flops and t-shirt into the MDR for breakfast or lunch. But, a pair of running shoes would be fine with a collared shirt. On deck and by the pool, of course, t-shirt and flip flops will be fine. You can wear those into the Lido for lunch.

The level of formality changes at 6:00. You do see the odd duck who hasn't yet changed after 6:00 or someone running for a show before 6:00 all dressed up early. But, that will mostly be in the ship's corridors. You will get a sense of transition between 5:00 and 7:00 as the decks, bars and lounges begin to empty out after tea.

If you can't bear getting dressed one night for the MDR, The Lido does a good dinner and room service is outstanding. They really try to accommodate everyone. You are going to have a great time and look great doing it.

Edited by orvil

....a question concerning the dress code - now keep in mind that I'm currently living in the mountains of Colorado and "formal" wear in the mountains is usually clean jeans and a collard shirt.

But I do own and have brought my tux for an upcoming crossing. On the less formal nights, I read "blue" jeans are not acceptable after 6pm, but are "black" jeans OK....with coat of course.

First off, I have never been able to enjoy Cunard. But from what I have read on their website, the no blue jeans after 6:00 applies to the Lido/Winter Garden or KC/CL. In other words black jeans would work there but not in the full dress code areas of the ship. Am I correct?

can you rent jackets/ties on board the QM2?

we live in a very hot climate where jackets and ties are never worn.

of course, i assume they'll be hard pressed to find something that will fit DH at his 6'7" 39 inch sleeve proportions (not to mention the size 14 shoes, which he doesn't own either)..

i guess we could just sit in our cabin from 6 PM on...

do they have room service?

Edited by alaska_planner

I doubt very much that one can rent a single jacket and a Tie, full formal wear (black Tie/Tux) yes, but not just an odd jacket.

Appreciate you may live in a hot climate, surely your other half can find a tie or jacket lurking around at the back of the closest ? ......How does he managed with an invite to a wedding or funeral ;)

Please don't even think of embarking on your Cunard cruise without at least a jacket , sitting in your cabin or dining in a self service area each evening is no fun ......so much to see and enjoy in the evenings onboard any Cunard ship.