Anthem 10 Ngt Balcony - A Rant

The events coordinator at my church announced yesterday that for our annual group trip, this year we'll be going on another cruise (they cruise every other year, but I had never gone with them). She was all excited to announce she booked us on the Anthem for it's Inagural season! We'd be sailing out of Cape Liberty on April 8, 2016 for 10 nights. Great I thought, with my new-found love of cruising. I turned to my husband and beamed "we gotta go!" Now having just booked our anniversary cruise for next year, I was thinking we'd simply just switch our reservation over and go with the church group... Until I saw the flyer with the jaw dropping prices she came up with!

The only cabin choices available to us are inside or balcony. Then I was confused because I saw the price of $1929/pp and thought surely that was for a suite or something. I kept looking down for cheaper rates - there were none! That rate was for an INSIDE cabin! :eek: :confused: The balcony rate is $1998/pp! :eek: So after I got air into my lungs again, I asked her: "um, are there any incentives, obc, paid grats, anything that come with these rates?" She said well no, because she (the TA) got us such good rates. :confused: Is she kidding? Of course the coordinator feels the rates are great, she travels free as the coordinator! Plus she's retired, she cruises all the time and probably is whatever the top elite, platinum or granite level there is. Then on top of everything else, insurance is NOT optional. You must pay it. I was like Seriously? I understand Anthem is all shiny and new, but those rates are going beyond the beyonds. No way an inside cabin should be 2k, no way. Needless to say, we'll be sticking with our 7 nght with NCL that we already have. We paid $2100 for us both for a mini-suite which includes $200 obc and the UDP. I seriously would love to go with our church, but no way I'm paying those rates. Seems like to me the coordinator should have pushed the TA for some perks or something. Wow.

Edited by Brandywine_101

Just did a mock booking on the website and the interior was $1339 pp along with $147 for port fees/taxes. Not sure the "great" deal they got with the interior rom for $1929 pp. If you wanted to go with your church group maybe you coud just book yourself online. Works out to be a little more ($13) per person per night than the one that you have booked if you do the interior room.

The balcony price was about the same as the rate you mentioned.

I did check the rates myself, and though I didn't see $1400 for the inside, that's still too much money. $1400 to sleep in a cave for two weeks? I can't sail inside a cubby hole with no fresh air for 10 days! I'll die... seriously, not over exaggerating. But it doesn't matter because I'm not going. I wouldn't pay that much money to sail on a ship just because it's "new".

There's definitely some funny business going on there. As everyone else has noted, the current price on the website is significantly less. What's more, this was presumably booked as a group booking. Group prices are usually a little less expensive than the prevailing rate and include some sort of incentive. I'm actually part of a TA group booking for my Anthem cruise later this year. So... I don't know what to tell you. If you don't want to pay the website prices that's understandable, it is pricey... but something's really off with the pricing distributed to your church group. I hate to even consider impropriety on the part of a church group (LOL), but... umm....

Edited by Dave85

I have to post a couple of corrections. After re-reading the flyer, I failed to realize that the cost of the cruise includes a coach liner ride from Pittsburgh to New Jersey. Plus a night in a hotel prior to the cruise. The price for this, for a inside is $1709 and for a balcony is $1989. But still, I priced $1400 for the inside cabin alone, so that means the shuttle and hotel is costing $300. That's still pretty steep. And the Pastor isn't free! Ya'll are funny! The coordinator is always free because if anyone were to book a group of 10 or more cabins, their cabin should be free. I know that from other travel agents. Still, $1400 for an inside cabin is too much.

I think that travel agent is very very naughty. Or should I say greedy?

I highly doubt it's the TA's doing. It will be extra added by the co-ordinator to pay for her, her travel partner and whoever else she chooses from the church.

I have to post a couple of corrections. After re-reading the flyer, I failed to realize that the cost of the cruise includes a coach liner ride from Pittsburgh to New Jersey. Plus a night in a hotel prior to the cruise. The price for this, for a inside is $1709 and for a balcony is $1989. But still, I priced $1400 for the inside cabin alone, so that means the shuttle and hotel is costing $300. That's still pretty steep. And the Pastor isn't free! Ya'll are funny! The coordinator is always free because if anyone were to book a group of 10 or more cabins, their cabin should be free. I know that from other travel agents. Still, $1400 for an inside cabin is too much.

$1400 for an inside is highway robbery or should I say piracy.;)

I would never go on a cruise with people from my church. We live a couple of doors down from the church and have a really hard time getting out of our driveway on Sunday mornings as none of my fellow parishioners will yield and let us back out. I guess, after 50 minutes of piety they can't race away from church fast enough.:eek: God forbid, what these people would be like in the buffet line!

Sounds to me like your church coordinator is padding these rates so she can pad her pockets a bit!

You NEVER hear of church people doing those kinda things, do ya ? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if the TA might be getting a little kicky-back from this "coordinator" too ... hmmmm

I thought after 8 cabins were booked, one person sailed free??

That's true - and in most cases that one person will divvy up the cost of the free berth amongst the other travelers. In this case, it appears the "coordinator" is out to make a killing at the expense of the others.

I would not pay them prices either. One reason why I will avoid that ship until the newness wears off it a bit

The prices may not be completely because of newness. I have received invitations for a group reunion cruise (because of a group I'm associated with) and always the prices were much higher than if I booked it myself. The extra cost is for "free" cabins and whatever for the organizers and I assume a souvenir gift, renting a room for certain events etc. The prices you quoted may turn a lot of people off Suggest an alternate cruise that is cheaper to begin with.

Just checked cruising power - there are no gap amenities (points) assigned to the 10 night April 8 cruise = so no perks

It is correct for every 8 cabins booked - 1 pax sails free less port tax and non commissionable

If the pricing when the TA blocked these cabins - inside and balcony - have dropped since then - all she needs to do is call the groups department and have pricing readjusted to the lower fare. That of course will require new advertising to sell the cruise.

Hope this helps

The events coordinator at my church announced yesterday that for our annual group trip, this year we'll be going on another cruise (they cruise every other year, but I had never gone with them). She was all excited to announce she booked us on the Anthem for it's Inagural season! We'd be sailing out of Cape Liberty on April 8, 2016 for 10 nights. Great I thought, with my new-found love of cruising. I turned to my husband and beamed "we gotta go!" Now having just booked our anniversary cruise for next year, I was thinking we'd simply just switch our reservation over and go with the church group... Until I saw the flyer with the jaw dropping prices she came up with!

The only cabin choices available to us are inside or balcony. Then I was confused because I saw the price of $1929/pp and thought surely that was for a suite or something. I kept looking down for cheaper rates - there were none! That rate was for an INSIDE cabin! :eek: :confused: The balcony rate is $1998/pp! :eek: So after I got air into my lungs again, I asked her: "um, are there any incentives, obc, paid grats, anything that come with these rates?" She said well no, because she (the TA) got us such good rates. :confused: Is she kidding? Of course the coordinator feels the rates are great, she travels free as the coordinator! Plus she's retired, she cruises all the time and probably is whatever the top elite, platinum or granite level there is. Then on top of everything else, insurance is NOT optional. You must pay it. I was like Seriously? I understand Anthem is all shiny and new, but those rates are going beyond the beyonds. No way an inside cabin should be 2k, no way. Needless to say, we'll be sticking with our 7 nght with NCL that we already have. We paid $2100 for us both for a mini-suite which includes $200 obc and the UDP. I seriously would love to go with our church, but no way I'm paying those rates. Seems like to me the coordinator should have pushed the TA for some perks or something. Wow.

The rates you have quoted are way way off!:eek::eek: