Why do you decorate your cabin door?

aideek2000

We use a small magnetic photo of our Siamese cat, named Guinness. Our friends and new acquaintances can find our room when we tell them to just stop by and look for a Guinness. We also find it sort of nice to see little Guinness' face while we are away for several weeks.

We decorated our door on one of our cruises because they had a door decorating contest. I got wind of it before we sailed and brought tape and used ribbons and cut pics out of a magazine I got from our travel agency. The day after the contest, in our mailbox, was a SHIP-ON-A-STICK!!! Now I try to get one on every cruise. It is not easy to do. Besides, I am ALWAYS commenting on the doors that are decorated. It did make it much easier to find our room also. It was on one of the FUN SHIPs after all! LOL

I would if the cabins were not in numerical order. On some ships even the carpeting runs in a certain direction forward or aft.

A lot of people haven't figures that out; have never had a problem finding our door just by looking at the numbers!

We don't decorate our door.

It's pretty easy to find our room.

Keith

I agree. Some of the door decorating has gotten ridiculous and beyond tacky. I'm expecting that soon the lines that currently allow it are going to start either making it off limits or making people really scale it down.

I've never had any difficulty finding my cabin, they are all clearly numbered, so I'm not sure what the problem is. On my last cruise it was "down the forward stairs, go to the right, third cabin."

In the beginning we never decorated our doors, just looked at other peoples, then 4 cruises ago we started to decorate our door for fun, even changing the decorations when St Patrick´s day came along, The Queen´s Jubilee and Halloween. Our decoration usually includes a map of the cruise together with pictures of the a main highlight of each port. We´ve had many favourable comments and even photos taken of the doors. It´s just a bit of fun, which harms no one

Sandy in Spain

Or my door at home! Street numbers are just like room numbers, usually in order so I just truck along until I find mine.:rolleyes:

You don't put a seasonal wreath on your home's door, or decorate outdoors for the holidays? :eek:

The doors might be numbered in sequence, however walking down a long corridor of endless cabin doors can be monotonous. My husband always misses our cabin if it is not decorated - he can be oblivious at times, and he doesn't have a keen sense of direction.

To the poster who asked why: We decorate our cabin door because it is fun and festive, and adds to our holiday atmosphere!

To the poster who asked how: There are many ways to decorate. We buy colorful cutouts from Party City. Then, we have a roll of magnetic tape that I picked up from Michael's Craft store. I cut a strip of tape off the roll and affix it to the back of the cutout. The cabin doors/walls are metal, so the magnet works well. We sometimes use a sharpie to write our first names or a fun message on the front of the decoration. And, we write our name and cabin number of the back in large print, which discourages stealing.

After our young grandson tried to find us by himself and then panicked and returned to his parents suite, I put up a door marker. I print out a map of the cruise from the ships website and our cruise critic names. I slip it into a clear loose leaf page protector with a magnet behind it. Easy, small, neat but helps to find the room. Some of us have poor sense of direction and some just plain like it. I fall into both categories.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On our honeymoon we put up a small photo of ourselves and the "just married" magnet our bridal party had made for our car. We were right by an elevator and tons of people saw it, resulting in them recognizing us on the cruise and telling us congrats. This time we might put up a small photo of our family and a cut out or two. It is just fun for us and is no different than the holiday wreathes I put up on our front door at home. We don't go overboard through, and don't use anything that might damage the doors or be in anyone's way.

Also, when you have an aftwrap, it's nice to see your destination after the long walk back and you know you're almost there.

BTW, I have seen cabin doors decorated on Carnival, HAL, and RCL. And, I have a chili decoration on my door at home year-round. So, yes, I decorate my door at home.

Edited by Laurie S.

On Oasis DH thought he was at our room, but wrong deck. He realized it when he didn't see my magnetic white board for messages. We put cute sayings on it and others commented on those with the dry erase marker I left out. It's fun and, after all, it's vacation and you're meant to have fun on vacation :)