Women. Clothing for long flights.

MeMe4A&J

Women what do you prefer to wear on overnight flights? I have a terrible time "trying" to sleep so I know I need comfortable clothes but knowing as well that I will be having to walk thru multiple airports. (DFW, O'Hare and DeGaulle)

Any suggestions?:confused::

Thanks!

Women what do you prefer to wear on overnight flights? I have a terrible time "trying" to sleep so I know I need comfortable clothes but knowing as well that I will be having to walk thru multiple airports. (DFW, O'Hare and DeGaulle)

Thanks!

Well, I'll preface this by saying that I started traveling when very young (during a time when people still dressed nicely when going out in public).

I usually wear a long-sleeved blouse, long pants, stockings (generally knee-highs) not nylons or pantyhose. Walking shoes. Plus a jacket.

I find this is comfortable enough to doze off in. Others may not.

In spring, fall and winter, I wear either black leggings and a tunic top or nice yoga pants and a pullover. I also wear my bulkiest shoes/boots on the plane to save room in my suitcase.

Great thinking....leggings!! Perfect idea!

Thank you....our River Cruise is November 12th.

Well, I'll preface this by saying that I started traveling when very young (during a time when people still dressed nicely when going out in public).

I usually wear a long-sleeved blouse, long pants, stockings (generally knee-highs) not nylons or pantyhose. Walking shoes. Plus a jacket.

I find this is comfortable enough to doze off in. Others may not.

Really appreciate the ideas! I knew I could count on CC.

(I really when people REALLY dressed for flying....women wore hose and heels and not pajamas pants.)

My standard outfit for wintertime overseas flights is black leggings, (long underwear pants under if it's really cold,) long sleeve t shirt or lightweight turtleneck, tunic length zip front black knit jacket, socks and my heaviest boots. I carry a pashmina and slippers in my personal bag. This way I can layer and unlayer as the airport and plane conditions warrant. I carry my coat, with pockets loaded with gloves, knit scarf, hat. Once onboard the long haul flight the coat goes in the overhead, the boots come off and the slippers go on. The pashmina is great to coverup with on the plane, I vary the weight of these by season.

For warmer weather locations I change out the top for a short sleeve shirt, change the leggings for a knit slim leg pant, change the boots to flats and ditch the long underwear, I replace the winter coat for a all weather coat with a liner and lighten up on the accessories. This will take you anywhere and each of the pieces are mix and matchable with other items in your suitcase.

Thanks!

Hi:)....this is just a suggestion....there is a Fashion Forum here

on Cruise Critic too....You could pop over there and peruse all the

threads and if you use the search bar you will find many, many threads

about this same topic.

That being said, last time I flew overnight was 3 years ago to Rome, and I wore

what would probably be considered a sweat pant....but nicer than the

"heavier sweat pants"....a soft cotton that were very comfy:)....maybe

they would be classified as a yoga pant....although I don't do Yoga;)

As for walking through airports? If you are concerned about attire,

I am going to say you will probably look nicer than many folks I have

seen.....:eek:

Oh, I wore a lightweight clog style shoe and socks too....and a cotton

top..........and I brought a cardigan that was french terry...soft too.

I see a couple of gals said they wear their boots....I don't own any

boots so I never wear them...LOL

Edited by Lois R

Comfort.. comfort... comfort first! Always long pants even in warm weather as planes get cold! I like a window seat and it's often cooler there. Sketchers (slip-ons) for comfortable shoes (sneakers are in my carry-on especially if I know we'll be doing a lot of walking after landing.. although my sketchers are good for normal walking, change of clothes in my carry-on as well). Always a pashmina as a cover-up (outer clothing depends on when/where we are headed) I like a neck pillow (the one I use fits over the handles of my carryon), earphones (or folding headphones for a longer flight), my iPhone/ipod for music and an eye mask (often provided by airlines but not always).

When I win the lottery I will always fly first class in one of those "pods" and not worry about any of this! :)

Edited by pbnjrockette

We just returned from Southeast Asia so flights were 14 and 5 hours just to get there. Our total travel time returning was 30 hours because of 2 layovers. I decided to wear a loose fitting long sleeve dress. I did not want anything tight around my waist. I wore knee high compression socks and I covered up with a blanket. I also used this dress as one of my beach cover ups. Good choice for me.

Edited by Shebely

I always travel in knit pants - cotton or ponte (for business, I do travel in coach and I wear something I could wear for conferences/meetings too) knit black pants and on top a tank or tee and a cardigan and sweater. Specific layers depend on where I'm going and the expected temps. Shoes & compression stockings (and I fly with slippers I wear during the flight, and a ziploc to store them at the end of the flight - because I'm traveling in coach:rolleyes:) Coat if I need one, usually a scarf too (again, depending on where I'm going).

I'm one of those people who is most comfortable in blue jeans - obviously mine are not the oh-so-tight variety. Always a long-sleeved shirt. We fly coach (also looking for that lottery ticket), but we do spring for the "extra leg room" seats - with those i have enough room to prop my feet on my carry-on, and even that bit of elevation helps. This probably goes without saying - the most comfortable unmentionables I own. :eek:

Best pants for flying.. eileen fisher

She makes the most comfortable elastasized pants,that are so comfy but look great

Her silk tops can be worn as is in summer and as a layering piece in winter.

Also they wash and dry quickly.....

I have seen her stuff in Dillard's......way too pricey for me.....it may

be well made but her pants are usually in the hundred's:eek:....

I will find comfy clothes that are only 2 digits;)

My standard outfit for wintertime overseas flights is black leggings, (long underwear pants under if it's really cold,) long sleeve t shirt or lightweight turtleneck, tunic length zip front black knit jacket, socks and my heaviest boots. I carry a pashmina and slippers in my personal bag. This way I can layer and unlayer as the airport and plane conditions warrant. I carry my coat, with pockets loaded with gloves, knit scarf, hat. Once onboard the long haul flight the coat goes in the overhead, the boots come off and the slippers go on. The pashmina is great to coverup with on the plane, I vary the weight of these by season.

For warmer weather locations I change out the top for a short sleeve shirt, change the leggings for a knit slim leg pant, change the boots to flats and ditch the long underwear, I replace the winter coat for a all weather coat with a liner and lighten up on the accessories. This will take you anywhere and each of the pieces are mix and matchable with other items in your suitcase.

Lots of perfect ideas! I will be doing them all.....thanks!

I'm one of those people who is most comfortable in blue jeans - obviously mine are not the oh-so-tight variety. Always a long-sleeved shirt. We fly coach (also looking for that lottery ticket), but we do spring for the "extra leg room" seats - with those i have enough room to prop my feet on my carry-on, and even that bit of elevation helps. This probably goes without saying - the most comfortable unmentionables I own. :eek:

We also are in the "more leg room" section, a couple of years ago I found a blow up foot rest....it is really helpful on longer flights. It is small but I have found it to be comfortable and worth the effort to take and inflate. (Apparently I have plenty of hot air!) LOL

I have seen her stuff in Dillard's......way too pricey for me.....it may be well made but her pants are usually in the hundred's:eek:.... I will find comfy clothes that are only 2 digits;)

EF stuff goes on sale regularly, and I have found many pieces in local thrift stores as well.

NM had her crepe ankle pants on sale for $58 for most of the summer, and Nordstrom price matches.....

Knit pants that look presentable in any situation and in any country, a short sleeved t-shirt and a cardigan. Socks and shoes that can be taken off without untying them. A thin long and wide scarf that works as a blanket and can be scrunched up if not needed.

My next trip is to hot places and I will wear the only pair of long pants suitable for temples in that climate. It's a hiking pant by LLBean with an adjustable waist. I am not going to wear my knit pants just for the flight. The rest stays the same.

If I find a different pair of light weight pants or a long skirt in South East Asia, will buy them.

Really appreciate the ideas! I knew I could count on CC.

(I really when people REALLY dressed for flying....women wore hose and heels and not pajamas pants.)

I remember those days as well....when flying TWA to Europe women wore dresses, hats, white gloves, nylon stockings and high heels and men wore suits, ties and hats!

Moving ahead 100 years.:D....now I wear comfortable (translation old and stretched out) jeans with a short sleeve white shirt and a long sleeved blouse that easily rolls up and fits in my back pack. I also carry a hoodie in my back back in case cabin gets cold. As for shoes, I wear my Reeboks and socks for two reasons: 1. to keep the heavy shoes out of my luggage and 2. for better traction in the event of an emergency....not that I've ever needed to evacuate a plane, but I read an article on surviving plane crashes that said it was better to wear running shoes than sneakers. :D

I'm with most of the above - very comfy knit black pants or capri's - depending on where I'm travelling to. I also always wear my heaviest shoes - usually crosstrainers. As for the "unmentionables" I purchased some bras that don't have the traditional clasp in the back. They are more like a sports bra but much more comfortable. You just pull them on over your head. I find it's easier to get comfy without the clasp hitting in my back. Just a thought.

Depending on where I'm going and how long the trip is, sometimes I pack a pair of pants just for the flight over and back. I also always pack a small bottle of Febreeze to spray clothing, especially if the weather is hot and humid. By spraying the clothes before dinner and letting them air out over night, they are a bit refreshed for wearing a 2nd time if necessary.

better to wear running shoes than sneakers. :D

?? To most Americans (only me?) those terms are interchangeable. Or, rather, a running shoe is a specific type of sneaker specifically for running, while "sneaker" could encompass other types of exercise footwear.

But I cannot imagine when evacuating a plane it would matter and either would be sufficient.

?? To most Americans (only me?) those terms are interchangeable. Or, rather, a running shoe is a specific type of sneaker specifically for running, while "sneaker" could encompass other types of exercise footwear.

But I cannot imagine when evacuating a plane it would matter and either would be sufficient.

Where I grew up (east end of LI) sneakers are what we used to wear in gym class or to play tennis....to distinguish my sneakers (white canvas soft shoe that will fold in half) from Reeboks or Nikes I lump them all as running shoes (which are usually leather and you can't fold them in half)..I can't imagine evacuating a plane period...and if it came to that I think what I was wearing would be the last thing on my mind:D I'm just repeating what I read a long time ago.

I have seen her stuff in Dillard's......way too pricey for me.....it may

be well made but her pants are usually in the hundred's:eek:....

I will find comfy clothes that are only 2 digits;)

Take a look at JJill. I got off an overnight transAtlantic without one wrinkle.

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/index.aspx

Wow, I grew up in CT and do not remember any such distinctions in shoe nomenclature :eek:

I always travel in a flat shoe and I keep my shoes on until we're in flight - but on long flights I *do* switch to slippers on top of my compression socks....I don't really wear heels, but if I did - I wouldn't wear them on travel days. Not so much for the evacuation (though it was certainly on the list of things to consider as I developed my "ideal" clothing for travel list) but because I can't imagine carrying all my stuff through an airport, down a jetway and getting bags in overhead bins etc. I see women doing it and I am SO impressed!

I have other personal packing habits like - I never pack jeans. I rarely wear jeans at home and find them too heavy to pack and they take too long to dry if they get wet (we do a lot of cold/wet weather seasonal travel). I take a couple of thin layers instead of one bulky outer layer (I run hot). I don't have separate wardrobes for travel - what I wear, I wear all the time and just make my choices based on climate and appropriateness to planned activity. I have a standing packing list and I adjust based on each trip - what didn't I use, what did I need that I didn't have etc. Constant quality improvement:D

I live in FL and visit Europe in the colder seasons. I do have a separate wardrobe for cold weather travel that I would never have the opportunity to wear here at home. I am also a boot junkie, and look forward to our cold weather trips where I can actually wear them.:)

As for jeans, I generally pack one pair for winter trips. I prefer the look and feel of cords, ponte knits and substantial weight leggings to jeans overall.

Edited by caviargal