Married after booking

sditty17

So we're looking at booking a cruise now for the winter of 2018- however, both myself and one of the other women who is coming on the cruise with us will be getting married in the spring/ summer of 2017. Obviously booking now we will have our maiden/ current last names but by the time we sail would have our married names. I tried searching all over the Princess site and wasn't able to find anything about this- Has anyone experienced this/ know how to go about this?

Thanks!

Why don't you just call Princess on the phone and ask your question? I'm sure they can tell you how to handle this. Also if you have a "good" travel agent they could also make sure that you are taken care of.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Make your life easier in these days for establishing your identity. Your name should be the same before and after marriage. There are a lot of women with multiple marriages, divorces and name changes that are cursing as they try to have an official paper trail of the name changes throughout their lives so that they can renew drivers' licenses here in Florida.

The name on your passport and the name on your reservation have to be the same. However, I'd call Princess and have them go over this with you. You'll sleep better knowing you have the correct information.

If YOU don't care what name is on your passport and cruise reservation, Princess doesn't care (as long as they match). It doesn't have to be the name you are currently using (as in a married name) as long as it is a true name that you had at the time the documents were obtained.

You can keep your life easy and keep everything in your maiden name or jump thru hoops and change everything.

Up until final payment, the name on a booking can be easily changed with no penalty as long as one passenger's name remains the same. If you're getting married after final booking, the name on your travel documents must be exactly the same as your booking whether your cruising or flying.

Princess doesn't care how you book your name today as long as it matches your passport on the day you sail or check in at the airport which ever comes first. So if she plans to travel in her new married name with new passports she should book it that way today. If she wants she could keep everything in your maiden name and travel and then change her passport when she come back into her married name. The choice is hers.

So we're looking at booking a cruise now for the winter of 2018- however, both myself and one of the other women who is coming on the cruise with us will be getting married in the spring/ summer of 2017. Obviously booking now we will have our maiden/ current last names but by the time we sail would have our married names. I tried searching all over the Princess site and wasn't able to find anything about this- Has anyone experienced this/ know how to go about this?

Here is the current information on how to go about solving your problem. The website for this info is: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/713/~/name-on-passport-not-current-name---how-to-change

Please pay attention to the Note: right after the first paragraph where it says that there is no fee for this unless you require expedited service!

Oh, and congratulations on you and your friend's pending marriages!! :)

Tom

-------------------------------------

My name on my Passport is not my current name. What should I do to change it?

IF - Your passport was issued less than 1 year ago and your name has been legally changed due to marriage or court order

THEN - You must mail your

• Current, valid passport
  • A completed Form DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement
  • An original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law
  • If required, two recent photos

NOTE:

There is no fee for this service unless you require Expedited Service

We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method, and

In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, we strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.

IF - Your passport was issued more than 1 year ago and your name has been legally changed due to marriage or court order

THEN- You must mail your

• Current, valid U.S. passport
  • Completed Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail
  • Applicable fees
  • An original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law
  • Two recent, color photographs

NOTE:

We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method

In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, we strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.

IF - You cannot legally document your name change (through court order or marriage)

THEN - You must submit the following in person at an Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency

• Your Current, Valid U.S. Passport
  • A completed Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport
  • Applicable fees
  • At least 3 public records showing your date and place of birth that show exclusive use of your assumed name for at least 5 years
  • Two recent, color photographs

For further assistance please visit the Department of State Web site.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

I wouldn't bother with changing passports, etc...unless they are about to expire. Simply keep everything in the same name as her ID's! Very easy! She can be called Mrs. So and so by anyone, but as long as her ID's and name on her booking is the same...no worries!

You can change it, but it must match your ID and passport. I had to change mine after marriage because I changed my name on my DL, which therefore didn't match my passport. So, new passport and a call to princess and it was all taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Change the names on the passports for free. It's easy to do, just make sure they do it before the first year is up of married life.

As long as one name on the reservation remains the same, you change the other names as often as you like before final payment.

I thought the information posted by Pierlesscruisers meant that whether the passport was less than one year old, not how long you had been married for.

Last year, I changed my last name on everything except my passport (i.e. social security, driver's license, etc). Then waited until after the trip to change the name in my passport. As other posters said, your passport name must match your name on the cruise booking. So, it sounds like you have a couple options to make it work. :)

Up until final payment, the name on a booking can be easily changed with no penalty as long as one passenger's name remains the same. If you're getting married after final booking, the name on your travel documents must be exactly the same as your booking whether your cruising or flying.

Wouldn't Princess not worry about a name change penalty since it is the same person? (even if someone else replaced the other passenger which is not the case here)

Wouldn't Princess not worry about a name change penalty since it is the same person? (even if someone else replaced the other passenger which is not the case here)
Not before final payment. There's a charge only after final payment.

Not before final payment. There's a charge only after final payment.

Princess will do a name correction with out a fee for the cruise. There is a fee for air.

I would think a change to a married name would be a name correction.

Edited by Coral

Princess will do a name correction with out a fee for the cruise. There is a fee for air.

I would think a change to a married name would be a name correction.

A misspelling of a name is a name correction. A change to a completely different name is a name change.

I would not assume that a completely different surname would be regarded as a name correction by Princess and would check with them before booking with a completely different surname.

A misspelling of a name is a name correction. A change to a completely different name is a name change.

I would not assume that a completely different surname would be regarded as a name correction by Princess and would check with them before booking with a completely different surname.

I by all means would check with them and have my passport match my name on the booking.

But a whole name change (different person) is definitely different then the same person sailing with a new last name.

I could make name changes in my family four times with the same first name, but it would be a completely different person with the different last names.

In these days of proving your identity before obtaining an official documents, the easy acceptance of a "married" name is no longer the loophole it used to be for switching identities.

My daughter and son in law are joining us on a cruise in July. They have been married just over a year, and their booking is in their married name. Last month she realized her passport was still in her maiden name. Updating it this close to the cruise would have been expensive. After doing some research and consulting with Princess they agreed to change her name on the booking to her maiden name. It was after final payment and there was no charge. All Princess cared about was that her passport matched the name on her booking when she boarded the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

These days no one cares if Mr John Smith is traveling with Miss Jane Doe.

No one has ever cared. I have been traveling with my husband for forty years and no one has ever batted an eye at the fact that we have different surnames.

Make your life easier in these days for establishing your identity. Your name should be the same before and after marriage. There are a lot of women with multiple marriages, divorces and name changes that are cursing as they try to have an official paper trail of the name changes throughout their lives so that they can renew drivers' licenses here in Florida.

Amen to that. To get my passport and to renew my DL: I had to get a birth certificate, a marriage record, a divorce decree and a new marriage license.

So after about a month of working and getting everything at a cost of about $50. And I already had my divorce decree and last marriage license. It would have been at least another $30, if not. But finally I was good to go in and prove who I was.