Empress of the Seas - Questions and Confusion

We're set to sail on Empress of the Seas for a quick get-away on Sept.26, 2016 and I'm having a Very hard time finding any information about Empress. She's not listed on the "See posts about..." at the top of this Board - Royal Caribbean Forum. There are no pictures on cruise line rooms dot com. There are so many cabins available at this late date that the price has gone down twice since I booked at what I thought was a good rate 2 weeks ago. Makes me wonder what's keeping people away.

So I have a few questions I hope others can answer:

With the price reductions, I moved us up from an Inside to an F2 for the same rate. It looks like all of the F2's have bunk ("pullman"?) beds which jut out from the wall. Is this the case? With F3's the same price, would you suggest I move to an F3 to avoid this? (The way prices are going I could end up with a suite:-)

Are there tables for 2 in the MDR?

Are there any alternative food venues in addition to Windjammer and MDR, like Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade, Ben and Jerry's, Johnny Rockets?

Any additional info or impressions of Empress of the Seas would be Very welcome. Thanks in advance.

I was just on board Empress and really enjoyed the ship, so I'm headed back for two more sailings.

Dining options are MDR, WJ, or Chops Grill.

Don't miss the sea day brunch in the MDR, it's one heck of a set-up and great food too. (oh yeah, and Free drinks!)

Table for two of course. Just request it with Royal or TA.

If you have more detailed questions, want links to live blogs, pictures, ect. Feel free to email me: mpoole3@gmail.com

We're set to sail on Empress of the Seas for a quick get-away on Sept.26, 2016 and I'm having a Very hard time finding any information about Empress. She's not listed on the "See posts about..." at the top of this Board - Royal Caribbean Forum. There are no pictures on cruise line rooms dot com. There are so many cabins available at this late date that the price has gone down twice since I booked at what I thought was a good rate 2 weeks ago. Makes me wonder what's keeping people away.

So I have a few questions I hope others can answer:

With the price reductions, I moved us up from an Inside to an F2 for the same rate. It looks like all of the F2's have bunk ("pullman"?) beds which jut out from the wall. Is this the case? With F3's the same price, would you suggest I move to an F3 to avoid this? (The way prices are going I could end up with a suite:-)

Are there tables for 2 in the MDR?

Are there any alternative food venues in addition to Windjammer and MDR, like Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade, Ben and Jerry's, Johnny Rockets?

Any additional info or impressions of Empress of the Seas would be Very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hi "Wikoffclan"

We just booked the Sept 26 cruise yesterday because of the deal offered... Too cheap to pass up! As Diamond plus members, we are hoping to get treated "royally"! Anyway, we also tried to get information about the ship, but found no listings for the Empress of the Seas. Also found nothing on the message boards from anyone else on the Sept 26th sailing! Are we the only people sailing that date? No "Meet & Greet"? Only info that I have is that she is the smallest & oldest ship in the RCCL fleet, but just had a major overhaul. We've sailed on all of the big ships, which really felt like being on small islands rather than on a cruise, so we are looking forward to this "small ship" experience. We're only about a 1 hour drive north of the pier, in Palm Beach County, so no air travel involved. We took the trip insurance, so if there is a major storm heading for the Keys or the Gulf that week (as there is today), we'll have the option to cancel! Hoping for the best, Phyllis & Jerry

Hi beachgirl!

There is so little info on Empress, so many cabins still for sale and so little activity on the boards that it looks we could be sailing half empty! Most of the balconies are still available.

Thank you all for your answers to my questions. I did find a whole host of pictures under the "All cruise reviews" section. That brings me to my biggest question - the F2 Ocean View. Following is a picture of what appears to be one. So can anyone tell me - Are all F2's like this with fold-down beds jutting out of the walls? If so, did it bother you? Would you suggest going for an F3 which appear to not have been rated as a 4 person cabin? Thanks for your insight.

861872270_EmpressOceanView.jpg.2426cfb9ce74067c480da95361398972.jpg

Hi "Wikoffclan"

We just booked the Sept 26 cruise yesterday because of the deal offered... Too cheap to pass up! As Diamond plus members, we are hoping to get treated "royally"! Anyway, we also tried to get information about the ship, but found no listings for the Empress of the Seas. Also found nothing on the message boards from anyone else on the Sept 26th sailing! Are we the only people sailing that date? No "Meet & Greet"? Only info that I have is that she is the smallest & oldest ship in the RCCL fleet, but just had a major overhaul. We've sailed on all of the big ships, which really felt like being on small islands rather than on a cruise, so we are looking forward to this "small ship" experience. We're only about a 1 hour drive north of the pier, in Palm Beach County, so no air travel involved. We took the trip insurance, so if there is a major storm heading for the Keys or the Gulf that week (as there is today), we'll have the option to cancel! Hoping for the best, Phyllis & Jerry

There is not a Meet & Mingle on a cruise of fewer than 7 nights. (on any ship)

There is no lounge of any kind on the Empress. You will only get your 3 nightly vouchers for drinks in any bar.

There may not be a link at the top of the page, but if you put "Empress" into the search box at the top of the page, you will get many threads about the Empress, including quite a few reviews.

:)

I was just on board Empress and really enjoyed the ship, so I'm headed back for two more sailings.

Dining options are MDR, WJ, or Chops Grill.

Don't miss the sea day brunch in the MDR, it's one heck of a set-up and great food too. (oh yeah, and Free drinks!)

Table for two of course. Just request it with Royal or TA.

If you have more detailed questions, want links to live blogs, pictures, ect. Feel free to email me: mpoole3@gmail.com

I asked multiple times earlier in another thread, but did not receive an answer. I agree Empress is an enjoyable cruise even with lack of a/c in our cabin in July. Just would like to know if your cruise was complimentary of Royal. It would just be a factor that others could consider regarding your Empress posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are booked on 9/22 and I've used price drops to go from an inside to a much better placed OV and keep an eye on this for future "upgrades."

I think the reason is more to do with the fact that the booking window for these cruises is so short since Royal is waiting for Cuba to open. Plus it's high hurricane season and there's always lots of discounting this time of year.

Not sure why mpoole3's opinion would change if he was comped (and I hope for his sake he was). He's been around here a while and does lots of cruises, and free or not free - he's willing to purchase more cruises on her. I mean, movie reviewers get comped :D

We are booked on 9/22 and I've used price drops to go from an inside to a much better placed OV and keep an eye on this for future "upgrades."

I think the reason is more to do with the fact that the booking window for these cruises is so short since Royal is waiting for Cuba to open. Plus it's high hurricane season and there's always lots of discounting this time of year.

Not sure why mpoole3's opinion would change if he was comped (and I hope for his sake he was). He's been around here a while and does lots of cruises, and free or not free - he's willing to purchase more cruises on her. I mean, movie reviewers get comped :D

Thanks for the kind words, I truly appreciate it. I know I try very hard to share my experiences to others anyway I can. To be honest, it's not always exciting, but I still do it. I've missed countless breakfast with family ect, because I'm spending two hours a morning writing and posting my live blogs. And it doesn't end there, the periscopes, pictures of menus, prices of items, always "research".

Again, thank you. Post like this keep me going!

I have another live blog coming up in 12 days! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the kind words, I truly appreciate it. I know I try very hard to share my experiences to others anyway I can. To be honest, it's not always exciting, but I still do it. I've missed countless breakfast with family ect, because I'm spending two hours a morning writing and posting my live blogs. And it doesn't end there, the periscopes, pictures of menus, prices of items, always "research".

[emoji106]

I have always enjoyed your reviews, pics, 'scopes regardless if paid or comped. In fact, I've never given it any thought if you were comped.

Thank you and I look forward to your next blog.

I asked multiple times earlier in another thread, but did not receive an answer. I agree Empress is an enjoyable cruise even with lack of a/c in our cabin in July. Just would like to know if your cruise was complimentary of Royal. It would just be a factor that others could consider regarding your Empress posts.

I think a lack of disclosure should be a concern.

I only became aware of this scenario when listening to a recent RC Blog podcast. (where it was disclosed in a particular case)

I think a lack of disclosure should be a concern.

I only became aware of this scenario when listening to a recent RC Blog podcast. (where it was disclosed in a particular case)

It was disclosed on the very first post for the live blog. (Pre-cruise) post & post cruise podcast l, so it was disclosed twice.

I hope you enjoyed!

Edited by mpoole3

Hi "Wikoffclan"

Hey...D+....we sailed Empress. Nice little ship. Not for kids or teens...

no waverider, golf course, water slides, skating rink, H2O Zone...stuff like that.

When we sail with kids and grands it will have to be larger with kid perks...

Allure or something.

No DL or CL, correct. But they make up for it. On sailaway there

is a comp event, you will get a card in your cabin. Also, usually a port day in

evening there is the C&A event...comp drinks and tapas at both.

Then you also have 3 drink vouchers on your card...5PM to 8:30 PM.

We weren't offered the bridge tour or back stage tour though....maybe next

week which is a five nighter.

Crew is friendly, ship is easy to get around. We had a nice time and

are sailing Empress again.

I read a lot of stuff about this ship written by people who were never on it...

same as a lot of posts on boards.

My advice is read only peoples observations that have been there....but

do not use their analysis or interpretations.

Gather observations....do your own analysis based on your/your groups needs.

Have fun.

:D

Edited by Rocket3D

I was going to edit but got timed out. hehe

Be sure and put a timeline together on the

posts you read.

Some issues get a lot of ink and then get

resolved...like the A/C issue.

Timeline. Was.....Is now.

Edited by Rocket3D

Wow is this a quiet board! Anyway, if anyone on this cruise is interested, I was able to secure 4 discounted tickets for the Old Town Trolley tour in Key West. We will be using 2 of them, so if anyone is interested in purchasing the other 2 at $15 each, it will be a good deal. Just let us know.... You can check out the "hop-on, hop-off trolley tour (with lots of extras) on their web site. Will hold the tickets for the first responses, as we only have 2 extra adult tickets! See you on board in 3 weeks!

Jerry & Phyllis

My husband and I will be on Empress 9/26. I too have looked for info, roll call,etc and found nothing. Did call Crown & Anchor and found out there is no diamond lounge and no diamond and above cocktail hour(s). Representative said due to space limitations.

We had a cabin with the drop down Pullman beds and will not be getting the same cabin arrangement again.

Check out my review in the CC reviews! We will definitely go on her again. Twice on Nordic Empress and then many years later on Empress of the Seas.

Hey...D+....we sailed Empress. Nice little ship. Not for kids or teens...no waverider, golf course, water slides, skating rink, H2O Zone...stuff like that.

When we sail with kids and grands it will have to be larger with kid perks...

Allure or something.

No DL or CL, correct. But they make up for it. On sailaway there

is a comp event, you will get a card in your cabin. Also, usually a port day in evening there is the C&A event...comp drinks and tapas at both.

Then you also have 3 drink vouchers on your card...5PM to 8:30 PM.

:D

Just sailed on Empress August 25 (4 nite cruise). Before you read more....let me tell you we had a terrific time. It is a very nice small ship -- and that is the key -- you can walk from the front to the back in about 5 minutes. Cabins are small, bathrooms are small. Crew and staff are wonderful.

They do have a small water splash area just for small children and on our sailing it was busy. They offer Adventure Oceans Club for children/teens. There is a rock climbing wall.

It has a very small gym, actually located as a balcony area of Viking Crown. There is no sauna or steam room even in the Spa, there isn't even a locker room.

As pointed out it doesn't have a DL or CL or Suite Lounge and the only specialty restaurant is Chops.

It has wonderful seating areas on each of the decks in the elevator areas. It has a nice 'library area' on Deck 9 in the forward section. It has these wonderful hammocks on the upper pool deck.....if you use them on a sea day, as the ship is moving the hammock sways just a little -- marvelous.

We had wonderful food, even though others love the Sunday Brunch offered on sea days in the MDR -- I did not. I thought it was over hyped. I expect that we will sail on Empress again, since we are only an hours drive from Miami, but will not bother with the 'brunch' -- WJ works for us or the regular MDR.

Since the ship doesn't have a Cafe Lattitudes or a Cafe Promenade, they do keep a section of the WJ open until 2am (I believe)....we never made it there, since after the nightlife (which was great and we enjoyed), we called it a night.

I do like that they have set up outside of the WJ on the pool deck a coffee and drink area, where you can also find the soft serve ice cream. On embarkation day and sea day they also had a lunch buffet out there.

So my question is are there no specialty coffees available at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can order specialty coffees at breakfast in the MDR. If you are Diamond or above there is no charge for it during breakfast hours.

I imagine that during lunch and dinner you can order specialty coffee as well in the MDR for a fee.

There is a Cafe Royale, outside of Boleros that offers various cafes and lattes for a fee as well.

You can order specialty coffees at breakfast in the MDR. If you are Diamond or above there is no charge for it during breakfast hours.

I imagine that during lunch and dinner you can order specialty coffee as well in the MDR for a fee.

There is a Cafe Royale, outside of Boleros that offers various cafes and lattes for a fee as well.

Thanks!!!! Broke down and purchased new drink package and I think this adds value for us!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks!!!! Broke down and purchased new drink package and I think this adds value for us!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Enjoy your upcoming sailing on Empress. I hope you enjoy the Cruise Directors Team as much as we did. You will have Elvis Pinto as CD, and he is a high energy guy. Isaac (from Spain) does a music trivia that should not be missed, it is terrific and don't leave the activity before the finale (just my advice).

Take in some lounging time on the hammocks. On a sea day it gives you a soft rocking feeling, nice for a little sleep but put sun screen on, because you are IN THE SUN. Enjoy....I loved the yellow hammock.

Edited by Paulette3028