Labadee: No tip, no chairs

Note to self: IF (big if) you ever sail RCCL to the Caribbean, STAY ON THE SHIP rather than go to their private island/beach. I'm on vacation to relax, not deal with that crap.

More likely than not I'll stick to Disney for those itineraries - the chairs are already set up on Castaway Cay!

Same goes with Hal, they have a nice setup on there private island, have never had a problem there, but I prefer sailing on RCCL

In response to the OP, I've experienced a similar attitude from the chair carriers at Labadee. My family trudged down to one of the far beaches. When we got there I remembered that I had forgotten to bring any cash with me from the ship to tip the pushy people. So I walked over to one of the stacks of chairs and started grabbing some for my family to setup myself. One of the chair carriers came running over and started yelling "That's my job!". I explained I didn't have any cash to tip him and he literally started screaming at me about "How am I supposed to feed my family?" and "You must have a lot of money if you are on this big ship, you must give me some!". My two little girls (maybe 6 and 5 at the time) who were right next to me were starting to get really scared. I decided it would be best to get out of the situation as quickly as possible so we walked to a different section of beach.

I believe earlier in the thread I gave some advice. If you don't have any cash for a tip, don't tell them you are not going to tip them. Let them set out the chairs. If they say anything or make a face then say you don't have any cash. Don't start a conversation about it. Been to Labadee a bunch of times and there are always passengers who don't bring cash. I have seen the unhappy look on the their faces chair carriers faces but they have to be used to not getting a tip from everyone.

Edited by Charles4515

We were there last Saturday. There was a lot of security around the market and vendors. The bartender told me that they have been getting a lot of complaints and are cracking down. I saw one guard tell a vendor to back off.

I am glad to hear this. We have been to Labadee several times and I avoid the "market" like the plague. I probably would buy something, but not when I am pressured like the vendors there do. They act like we owe it to them to buy something.:eek:

Note to self: IF (big if) you ever sail RCCL to the Caribbean, STAY ON THE SHIP rather than go to their private island/beach. I'm on vacation to relax, not deal with that crap.

More likely than not I'll stick to Disney for those itineraries - the chairs are already set up on Castaway Cay!

No, don't stay on the ship. If you are there you paid for it. It is relaxing there. I have been there about nine times. I have my dollar for a chair. I stay away from the vendors, they are in a seperated area and no problems. Never had any crap to put up with. It really is pretty good beach day.

Its a Labadee thing. RCI has another private island...Coco Cay...where the chairs are already set up, just like Castaway, just like Half Moon, just like Great Stirrup, etc.

Its a Labadee thing. RCI has another private island...Coco Cay...where the chairs are already set up, just like Castaway, just like Half Moon, just like Great Stirrup, etc.

And RCI could easily fix the "Labadee thing" if they had a mind to. These types of stories are not rare around here.

No, don't stay on the ship. If you are there you paid for it. It is relaxing there. I have been there about nine times. I have my dollar for a chair. I stay away from the vendors, they are in a seperated area and no problems. Never had any crap to put up with. It really is pretty good beach day.

Not sure if I agree, I love being on ship when we are in any port, nice and peaceful and pools are not crowded.

I am glad to hear this. We have been to Labadee several times and I avoid the "market" like the plague. I probably would buy something, but not when I am pressured like the vendors there do. They act like we owe it to them to buy something.:eek:

When they first opened Labadee the vendors were lined up right off the tender dock. Could not avoid them. Because they were so aggressive they moved them to a separate market in the center area. When they put in the dock they moved them off the path towards Columbus Cove, but separated off of the road so now they can really be avoided. Those vendors are their own worse enemy because if they were not aggressive they would still be in the central area, like the artisan market in the square there where none bothers you, not placed on the outskirts.

And RCI could easily fix the "Labadee thing" if they had a mind to. These types of stories are not rare around here.

There have been more stories of late.The situation in Haiti must be getting grimmer of late for the people there than it already usually is. That is something RCI can't do much about. They could give those workers a raise and say no job if there are complaints. As far as the vendors if they cut the number in half they would probably have less competition among them and less aggressive sales tactics.

Not sure if I agree, I love being on ship when we are in any port, nice and peaceful and pools are not crowded.

I take Caribbean cruises for the ocean and the beaches. I love the beach and the ocean water. If I wanted to sit by the pool I would stay home we have a nice pool on the roof and it is never crowded. Labadee is a pretty good beach day and I enjoy it. Since I have been there enough I know the lay of the land. I head straight for Columbus Cove on the water taxi from the pier. Not that crowded there. And I know enough to avoid Adrenaline Beach. That beach used to be closed until they built the dock.

Guest maddycat

If passengers started mentioning on the after cruise survey how aggressive the workers on Labadee are, RCI might do something about the situation. If RCI has a no tipping policy it should be enforced. If the workers demand tips they should be fired. Many land based businesses work this way.

There have been more stories of late.The situation in Haiti must be getting grimmer of late for the people there than it already usually is. That is something RCI can't do much about. They could give those workers a raise and say no job if there are complaints. As far as the vendors if they cut the number in half they would probably have less competition among them and less aggressive sales tactics.

Then these folks who have jobs at Labadee should be even more careful to protect themselves from being fired. Maybe it has nothing to do with things being grimmer in Haiti and more to do with the workers knowing what they can get away with?

Edited by Ocean Boy

Yep, based on everything we've read about Labadee we plan to skip it. We really wish it wasn't on our schedule.

Then these folks who have jobs at Labadee should be even more careful to protect themselves from being fired. Maybe it has nothing to do with things being grimmer in Haiti and more to do with the workers knowing what they can get away with?

I would think this is the case. I bet there is little or no oversight as to who gets hired or fired there.

Seriously Not fair! I was excited about a first trip to Labadee. My wife doesn't want another beach so she wants to stay on board. I was going to take my 4 year old daughter and go to Columbus Cove. This has nothing to do with tipping, I just didn't want to take cash. I even got a waterproof camera so would not leave anything of value on the beach when we go swimming.

I had heard about tips for chairs, and had made up my mind I was going to do it myself. I'm fit enough to handle it, I don't want to be pampered prefer to do things for myself the way I like it, no big deal.

Now if I choose I want to do my own work, I'm going to get confronted in front my 4 year old! So now I have to take a couple of bucks so I guys doesn't scare my daughter. I can just see it my little girl grabbing on to my leg because this man is screaming at daddy "How am I supposed to feed my family?" and "You must have a lot of money if you are on this big ship, you must give me some!". Thanks RCI for for putting your customers in that position!

Yep, based on everything we've read about Labadee we plan to skip it. We really wish it wasn't on our schedule.

I dislike these private stops and try to avoid cruises with them on the itinerary. I don't like being confined to a compound and I don't particularly like forced beach days. At least at a regular port people have chioces to go to the beach or do something else. I live on the beach. I don't need to spend several thousand dollars on a cruise to go to the beach. The times I typically end up at Labadee is if I book a cruise that is more than 7 nights. I look at the private stop as the trade off to get a longer cruise.

Did you expect free service? He did not say the chairs are unavailable to you. He said just stated he would not carry them for you. He even told you where you could obtain the chairs. These are working people not slaves.

Yes, I would expect free service, as it is on Coco Cay and other private cruise ports. And while the chairs are supposed to be available for anyone to carry, some of these guys strongly suggest that you must go through them (and pay them) to get the chairs.

Yes, I would expect free service, as it is on Coco Cay and other private cruise ports. And while the chairs are supposed to be available for anyone to carry, some of these guys strongly suggest that you must go through them (and pay them) to get the chairs.

If they keep insisting on that then the obvious solution will be to have the chairs set out in advance like they are at Coco Cay and other private islands. That's why people should complain if they encounter that so Royal knows they have to do something. Really the bad apples are cooking their own goose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dislike these private stops and try to avoid cruises with them on the itinerary. I don't like being confined to a compound and I don't particularly like forced beach days. At least at a regular port people have chioces to go to the beach or do something else. I live on the beach. I don't need to spend several thousand dollars on a cruise to go to the beach. The times I typically end up at Labadee is if I book a cruise that is more than 7 nights. I look at the private stop as the trade off to get a longer cruise.

To each their own. I don't have a beach. I like the beach stops. The ports in the Caribbean are all shopping and Diamonds International. I go to the Caribbean ports for beaches, snorkeling and other water activities.

Did you expect free service? He did not say the chairs are unavailable to you. He said just stated he would not carry them for you. He even told you where you could obtain the chairs. These are working people not slaves.

They should expect free service at Labadee. Royal should be paying them. Since they say the chairs are complementary I believe they are. They may not be paying them enough but I don't have any knowledge of that.

Seriously Not fair! I was excited about a first trip to Labadee. My wife doesn't want another beach so she wants to stay on board. I was going to take my 4 year old daughter and go to Columbus Cove. This has nothing to do with tipping, I just didn't want to take cash. I even got a waterproof camera so would not leave anything of value on the beach when we go swimming.

I had heard about tips for chairs, and had made up my mind I was going to do it myself. I'm fit enough to handle it, I don't want to be pampered prefer to do things for myself the way I like it, no big deal.

Now if I choose I want to do my own work, I'm going to get confronted in front my 4 year old! So now I have to take a couple of bucks so I guys doesn't scare my daughter. I can just see it my little girl grabbing on to my leg because this man is screaming at daddy "How am I supposed to feed my family?" and "You must have a lot of money if you are on this big ship, you must give me some!". Thanks RCI for for putting your customers in that position!

It is easy enough to take a dollar or two.

It is on the schedule because people like it, and like it a lot and look forward to it. I do. Been there the last two years on Celebrity.

I was debating posting this for fear of potential flames, but here goes.

When we got to Labadee with our 3 kids, nature called for the little guy, so my husband took him in search of a washroom. I continued walking to the beach with the other 2 kids, all the towels, the sand toys, the beach bag with sunscreen and other beach items etc. When we got to the beach, one of the staff asked if we wanted chairs. As my husband had the cash, I was upfront and told the man I had no money for a tip. He replied "No tip, no chair, you can get your own" and walked away. So we did. I had no problem unstacking and carrying the chairs to a location on the beach, but I wonder whether this is something Royal Caribbean is aware of and endorses (ie - only assist guests who tip, others are left to fend for themselves) or whether this guy went rogue?

Read this and we must have had the same person when we visited the island in November but we were on Celebrity Reflection. We said we had not bought any cash ashore and were told in which case we could get our own loungers. We were not impressed with his attitude and just went and got our own chairs but felt it did not portray a very professional impression for guests.